Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
monkers

Default 55 gal drum for oil tank?

Can I use a 55 gallon drum for a tank for my Miller trailer furnace, I will use Kerosene in it . Just until I can get the 275 tank and get it piped in etc.... Just curious if anyone has done this before or not?
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
walrus

Default Re: 55 gal drum for oil tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
Can I use a 55 gallon drum for a tank for my Miller trailer furnace, I will use Kerosene in it . Just until I can get the 275 tank and get it piped in etc.... Just curious if anyone has done this before or not?
In Maine no company will fill it but it has been done many times and used to be common place around here. If you're going to fill with 5 gallon buckets it should work, make sure its vented
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Fastback

I wonder if you could use a poly tank? If so check the mulch yards near you and ask if they have any used dye tanks for sale? They are the square tank with the steel cage around it, I see guys use them for bio diesel.

These things..

Last edited by Fastback; 12-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
monkers

I figured no one would fill it, I can fill it with 5 gal cans, do they make a vent to screw in to the small port on the drum, Id like to use the 2" port for the "double tap" fitting, please guide me if Im wrong...
Old 12-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Rentawrench

Where will you put the drum? Inside ?

If you put it on an X brace use the 2in as vent( short nip ,90,longer pipe with vent cap,then put a firematic in the lower fitting.

Firematic is a safty valve with a springloaded vale held open with a lead threaded knob.

There sould be one at the burner an a simular one above the furnace in the electric line. They are to shut power an the flow of fuel in case of Fire.

The drum in a Horziontal with the bungs up an down.
Rentawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
I figured no one would fill it, I can fill it with 5 gal cans, do they make a vent to screw in to the small port on the drum, Id like to use the 2" port for the "double tap" fitting, please guide me if Im wrong...
You're going to have the barrel upright? I've always seen it with them laying down in some kind of X brace. Will the furnace pull it out of the drum?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
79firebird

yup should be fine. my buddy use to take his drum in all the time to get filed and never had any probs
79firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Randy in Maine

Please don't do that. In Maine this year alone we have had over 2500 above ground storage tanks that have leaked a lot of fuel into the groundwater. It has cost a gob of money to have them cleaned up so that people can actually drink clean water.

Use a real tank please and preferably a double wall tank.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
monkers

Randy in Maine, I understand your concern, here all the problems are from burried tanks leaking, I will be getting a 275 shortly, I went through a nasty divorce that has left me trying to get back on my feet. I used to do side work from my shop, well, needless to say I dont have the same shop anymore, Ill be trying to work from an old garage for now, try to make th e best of it.....I didnt get to take my old fuel oil tank (it was seperate from the house) so this is what Im gonna have to do for now to hopefully make ends meet a little easier. The current garage is old, and the roof leaks on half the garage that cant be fixed till spring, so Ill be able to work out of half of it, most of my stuff is in storage, Ill bring over a couple welders and such and do what I can.....I will keep an eye of the tank for leaks. My last tank never leaked and was there about 10 yrs, outside.
The drum will be upright, inside. I think the pump will have no trouble pulling the oil from the drum to the burner, it pulled it from the last tank which was further away than this one will be. Thanks for the help guys.......happy holidays to everyone
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Andamo

You might to check and see if the pump will actually lift the kerosene. Many pumps will put out pressure on the discharge side without any problems, but lifting liquid through a dip tube might pose a problem.
You might want to lay the drum horozontial on a inexpensive drum rack and use the smaller bung opening as the suction to your pump. This way you'll have the larger bung as a method of refilling the drum. Make sure you put a filter and valve on the line leading to the pump and close the valve each night before leaving the garage. Keeping the smaller bung higher than the pump will be enough pressure for the suction of the pump.
Andamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
73Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Please don't do that. In Maine this year alone we have had over 2500 above ground storage tanks that have leaked a lot of fuel into the groundwater. It has cost a gob of money to have them cleaned up so that people can actually drink clean water.

Use a real tank please and preferably a double wall tank.
55 gallon drums are designed to contain hazardous liquids without contaminating anything. I would not be surprised if kerosene is actually sold in 55 gallon drums somewhere...you can certainly buy gasoline or paint thinner or oil that way.

Is it going to last decades outside your house or burried under the ground? No. Will it 'work for a little while'? Absolutely.
73Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Lotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback View Post
I wonder if you could use a poly tank? If so check the mulch yards near you and ask if they have any used dye tanks for sale? They are the square tank with the steel cage around it, I see guys use them for bio diesel.

These things..

Not an especially good idea, flammables tend to soften poly totes. My wife said you might get 5 years before it leaks, but it will. Metal for flammables, poly for caustics and acids.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
Not an especially good idea, flammables tend to soften poly totes. My wife said you might get 5 years before it leaks, but it will. Metal for flammables, poly for caustics and acids.
OK, so storing Kerosene in a plastic jug is not good then? I thought Kerosene was a solvent and not acidic?
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
Maybe you should look at Roth oil tanks, made out of the same stuff the tote pictured early in the thread was made out of.
http://www.roth-usa.com/files/DWT_Brochure.pdf
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
monkers

thank you for the replies guys, this isnt a lifetime solution, just gotta get through a couple months (maybe less), I have the firmatic valve from when it was installed in my other shop, along with the filter, the way it was installed last time was : a 275 gal horizontal tank outside the shop (close to the wall) with the suction and return lines coming up out of the tank and then down and into the shop (about 2 feet give or take) the burner seemed to pull the kerosene fine from the oil tank, so im hoping it will pull it out of the drum.....thank you again for your help