Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
fflintstone

Default price of K1 kerosene.

The station where I get my off road diesel switches to kerosene in the winter. I bought a 70K BTU torpedo heater last winter. It will burn fuel other than K1 but was told it gives off the least odor with K1. I took my 2 empty blue 5 gallon containers up there. $4.10 a gallon! I really need to get a wood burner!
fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
tdkkart

Default Re: price of K1 kerosene.

A buddy said the other day that he had $4+ for kerosene, I thought he was BS'in me at first. They used to just about give away kerosene........
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
walrus

If its really K1, 4 bucks isn't that bad from a pump. In Maine oil companies have been talking about doing away with #1 fuel oil or kerosene. No call for it
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Unearthed

$3.49 a gallon here in Pa. I'm on the hunt for a hard coal stove for the garage.
Unearthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
fflintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
$3.49 a gallon here in Pa. I'm on the hunt for a hard coal stove for the garage.
What do you have to do combustion wise to burn coal? I went to Scotland once; I love the smell of a coal fire. I bought some nugget coal and tried to burn it in the sauna woodstove but no go it wouldn’t burn.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
JC23

In Ireland, I learned to dig the smell of a peat burning stove.

Ain't had a sniff of it since and I still miss it...
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
fflintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC23 View Post
In Ireland, I learned to dig the smell of a peat burning stove.

Ain't had a sniff of it since and I still miss it...
Just find a nice single malt with a heavy peat nose and your good to go.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
malibu101

I've used a torpedo for about 15 years in the garage. Kero used to be real cheap. About 5-6 years ago, the same time low-sulpher diesel became manditory, the price of kero really jumped and stayed there.
I always want to know why kero costs me more than high test gasoline and about the same as diesel when kero does not have any road use taxes on it.
I just paid $3.29 tonight at my local gas station.
malibu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
malibu101

Over the years I had 2 different occasions where I did not have kero and wanted heat.
In my space, the little whiff of raw kero when starting and stopping the torpedo is no problem at all for me.
Once I tapped some #1 heating oil from the house tank. Smelled pretty bad, I will not do that again.
Another time I used some diesel. Smelled even worse than the heating oil. I really will not do that again.
The heater is rated to use the above mentioned fuels as well as jet fuel. But I don't normally keep jet fuel around the garage.
malibu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Charles (in GA)

I just bought 20 gals of it, $3.79 gal. one other store also had it for that. Everywhere else I called was $4.29 to $4.49.

I used to run my torpedo heater on Jet fuel, since I moved here I've had to use Kerosene, and I tried Diesel one time, it stinks continuously, K1 just smells on start up and shutdown.

Planning on buying a used/waste oil heater real quick.........

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
djd99

5 gallons today 4.10 a gallon witch is bs bought it for 3.79 last week.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Ford12508

You guys are going to love me, I sell it at the place I work for $6 a gallon, and it sure aint K1
Ford12508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
fflintstone

I missed a deal on CL for a 2-barrel wood stove for $35. I have been looking for used triple wall pipe with no real success as well. I would much rather hear the crackling of a wood fire then the roar of that stupid heater.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
spongerich

I'd be happy paying $4.50/gal. There's almost nowhere around here that sells it, so I've been getting it at Home Depot and Lowes. It's $8 a gallon.

When I went to the local heating oil supply, they told me they'd be happy to sell me 150 gallons of it for around $3.50, but it'll take me like 3 years to use that much and I don't really like the idea of storing that much fuel. The guy told me, "Just use some low sulfur diesel... it'll be fine".

Never again. I'd rather pay $8/gal than smell that shit. My barn and everything in it reeked of diesel fumes for weeks.

I might try the local airport and see how much they're getting for Jet-A...

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Unearthed

[QUOTE=fflintstone;1227172]What do you have to do combustion wise to burn coal? I went to Scotland once; I love the smell of a coal fire. I bought some nugget coal and tried to burn it in the sauna woodstove but no go it wouldn’t burn.[/QUOTE

By "nugget coal", do you mean soft nut coal? You need grates and a bottom draft for coal in a stove. Air across the top of a coal fire is how you cool it down.

Last edited by Unearthed; 12-18-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Unearthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
nate379
Banned

I run fuel oil in my heater and it works just fine. I have run gasoline in it before as well.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
jwillis
Banned

I used to heat my house with a 20,000 Kerosun type heater for over twenty years. In fact, this is the first year I haven't used it yet. I would usually buy a new one every three or four years. I would set it at the bottom of my basement stairs, since my TV room is in the basement, and it would heat my basement and about half of the house upstairs. The rest of the house I would use space heaters. It would only cost me about $3-400.00 in kerosene all winter to heat my house. I have two 50 gallon plastic drums in the garage and about ten 5 gallon jugs. You have to buy your kerosene in the summer when the price is down. I would start around July and buy about 30 or 40 gallons by filling my jugs and then bringing them home and dumping them into my drums. In August, I would do the same thing. Then September, etc. that way it wouldn't cost so much at one time. In the summer the price this year it was about $2.99 a gallon. About November (last month) this year, I noticed it jumped up to $3.99 a gallon here in SW Ohio. Last summer, last year (2009) it was down to about $2.50 and that's when you have to jump on it. If you wait until December and buy it five or ten gallons at a time, they will burn you. I still have about fifty gallons left over from last winter, but I just decided to use my electric furnace this year and I will probably burn up the rest of the kerosene in a few weeks. It won't lose it's potentcy, so don't worry about that. You won't notice one year old kerosene from new. But buying it now like you are is a killer. Plan on buying it earlier next year.

Last edited by jwillis; 12-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
jwillis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerich View Post
I'd be happy paying $4.50/gal. There's almost nowhere around here that sells it, so I've been getting it at Home Depot and Lowes. It's $8 a gallon.

When I went to the local heating oil supply, they told me they'd be happy to sell me 150 gallons of it for around $3.50, but it'll take me like 3 years to use that much and I don't really like the idea of storing that much fuel. The guy told me, "Just use some low sulfur diesel... it'll be fine".

Never again. I'd rather pay $8/gal than smell that shit. My barn and everything in it reeked of diesel fumes for weeks.

I might try the local airport and see how much they're getting for Jet-A...
Look for it at gas stations. There should be a pump off on the side of the building. Ask them if they sell it. Buying it at Home Depot, Tractor Supply or some other place like this is an outrage.
jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
hetkind
Banned

I got a combination wood/coal potbelly stove from Northern Tool last year...burns wood FAST and put too much up the stack, so I am going to try some coal, cheap where I am...

And I paid $3.80 for K-1, available at many gas stations in town for our house backup heat, for when the power goes out.

Howard
hetkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #20
danski0224

The newer torpedo heaters with the hot surface ignition vs the sparkplug burn much cleaner.

I have not burned diesel in mine, but the kerosene is much better in the newer heater vs the old.

I borrowed a natural gas pot heater this time.

Current cost is $.52 per 100,000 btu.... about 1/6 the cost of kerosene.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote