Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Interex

Default Lowes 20 minute pick-up FAILURE

So yesterday, I wrap up the last of my gift shopping at Lowes. I bought the items online and opted for the in-store pick-up service. I place the order at 4:25pm and 10 minutes later, I get an email saying it's ready for pick-up. Great! I leave the office and run a quick errand before heading to the store.

At about about 5:15pm I arrive and proceed to the customer service desk. I get there and it's obvious that the customer service rep has no intention of keeping his job very long. I walk up and he greets me with 'Yes?' while chewing his gum. I say I'm picking up an on-line order and set my printed confirmation on the desk. He takes it and pokes around behind the counter but can't seem to locate my items. There are a couple of printed order sheets sitting on the corner of the desk to which he matches my information and items to one of them. Without giving me any idea about what's going on, he gets on his radio and starts calling out that he needs these items for a customer pick-up. He doesn't say a word to me so I just stand to the side as he assists another customer. Like me, the other customer is also picking up and they don't have his stuff ready either. So there I am, flipping through the DIY books and poking around the junk tools they have in the 'great gifts' boxes in the middle of the main aisle.

It's now 5:25pm (10 minutes have gone by) when finally an employee shows up with 1 of my items. The customer service rep calls out on the radio and says he needs my other item. 5-7 minutes go by and another rep that looks like he just got back from a break asks if I'm being helped. I'm becoming frustrated at this point and say "I guess" as I motion to the rep that's been 'helping' me. They all of a sudden spring it into high gear and a few minutes later, I've got my second item.

Finally, at 5:35pm the guy wraps up my transaction and gives me a half-assed apology for the wait. He asks me if I need anything else and I tell him that I need to speak to the store manager on duty. Talk to the manager, give him the entire story. He's apologetic and offers me a $25 gift card. I accept and finally leave the store at almost 5:45pm.

In the end, they took care of me but I hope they get it turned around at this store. I've used the pick-up service many times and never had an issue. Maybe it's just because of the holidays. Anyone else have similar problems?
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
UncleJoe

Default Re: Lowes 20 minute pick-up FAILURE

At my store it works perfectly. I guess the local manager really makes the difference. The Lowes that I shop at has the most helpful employees. They are constantly approaching me and asking if I need some help, do I really look that helpless?????

Seriously, at these types of stores the quality of the help is directly related to the quality of the local store management.

If you want a better Lowes ask to talk to the manager. You shouldn't have to do it but some people, managers included need a fire lit under their ass.
UncleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

interex i hear you lakewood/brick lowes is horrible. How dare you ask a question or want to be rung up in anything resembling a half hour. the toms river store is leaps and bounds better but the plumbing and electrical section has no clue what they are talking about the kids that work in it are like 17 and probably couldn't hook up an xbox right.

i really think it depends on area and management
www.Libertytowing.webs.com
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
strike a poser

My wifes cousin works @ Home Depot as a cashier and said she was thinking of transfering to the plumbing dept., but was unshure of herself because of no experience. I told her not to worry, no one else in the department does either.
strike a poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
wafrederick

My father gets treated very well at the Lowes store in Muskegon,Mi.He gets a 10% discount on everything since he is a veteran,served in the Marines for 4 years.Lowes give a 10% discount for veterans on everything and it is everyday.Have to show proof and an American Legion Card will work.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Mr.Nutcase

my lowes sucks!!!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
ZRX61

Was in Lowes the other day looking for 12in sanding discs. They dont stock them But as I'm leaving the tool area one of the minions asks what I'm looking for. I tell him & he didn't have the first clue WTF I was talking about. Even had to take him over a couple of aisles & show him what a disc sander was.... & then he picks up a rack of 6in discs & says 'here they are".. so then I showed him what a tape measure was.

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I'd fire off an email to the corporate office and let them know of your "20 min p/u" experience.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
ImportTuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
I'd fire off an email to the corporate office and let them know of your "20 min p/u" experience.
Hmmm ... 20 minutes and get a $25 gift card .. not bad
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
I wish I could make over a dollar a minute.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
illmatyk

I was at HD a couple weeks ago and saw some stubby wrenches on sale and thought maybe I should pick up a set. I ask the guy if they had any metric sets( the ones on display were SAE ), he goes and gets another guy and I could hear the other guy explaining to him the difference between SAE and metric.

I stood there thinking to myself, if you don't know the difference between an SAE and metric wrench set you shouldn't be in the tool dept!

My feedback thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=133098

If I have made a transaction with you, please feel free to leave some feedback.
illmatyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
spongerich

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatyk View Post
I stood there thinking to myself, if you don't know the difference between an SAE and metric wrench set you shouldn't be in the tool dept!
If you don't know the difference between SAE and metric, you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house without adult supervision.

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkin View Post
I wish I could make over a dollar a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
I realize that he was compensated for his time, but will anybody else ? Maybe the corporate office needs to realize that their "cool and awesome" 20 minute pick up isn't working. So true and honest feed back from a customer.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Ford12508

On my days off, my time is worth much more than $1 a minute in my opinion.
Ford12508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
mmb617

Our Lowes is pretty decent. Most of the departments have people with a working knowledge of the products in that section. It does seem that the wait time to pick up special order items is longer than it should be, that's about my only complaint. I always pickup a special order the same day I'm notified that it's in so it shouldn't be hard to find, but I usually wind up standing around 15 minutes waiting for them to bring it up.
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
IDASHO

Maybe the Lowes employee(s) can confirm....

But if the Lowes "online ordering" is anything like the DoitBest online ordering, it really needs an overhaul.

The DoitBest online ordering is very strange.

Mainly because the transaction the customer makes is with DoitBest Corp, NOT the store. All the store does is warehouse it until the customer retrieves it.

This makes it WAY too easy to loose the product, and makes it all to common to see customers leaving the store with "unpaid" product.

Maintaining a paper trail is a nightmare.

The real kicker is when a customer decides to return the product..... to a store that has no sales history of said product, for some customer that buys online instead of simply coming to the store.

Ive seen people buy stuff online, have it shipped to our store, only to find it is a STOCK ITEM ON OUR SHELVES.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Tom2

Online ordering is pretty pointless anyways.. Might as well just walk in to the store and pick it up yourself, unless you think they have limited supplies, etc..

I used online ordering at Sears for some wrenches. The sale was ending that night, so at 11PM I went ahead and ordered them so I could make sure I got the best price on them.

Other than rare instances like that, it's not something I'd probably use a whole bunch.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Bulldog13

Lowe's ....becoming a joke.Just got back from FL...visiting the new house.I bought a new washer and dryer while down there based on their "next day " delivery offer.Turns out they only have 1 truck to do the deliveries.It was gonna take 13 days to deliver...ended up cramming each of them in the rental trunk and made 2 trips.....there is no Customer Service anymore....
Bulldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
patrick66

Lowe's, Home Depot, and Sears all suck these days. They do not care if you come back or not, as there are plenty of suckers that'll replace you as a customer.

There are two small hardware stores, both within four miles east and west of me, that are amazing to do business with! They have very experienced staff that can decipher my needs if I am not sure what something is called, or tell me exactly where something is when I do! I can actually buy ONE fastener, nut, bolt, screw, whatever there! Not in a bag of 50 or 100 when all I need is five! I'll take these two stores over ANY "big-box" generic retailer, any day of the week!
patrick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
R6 Racer

Those places are getting harder & harder to find these days Patrick66!

Steve
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
R6 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote