Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
jimmy p

Default Garage Door Interior Finishing Ideas

I have insulated my garage door using 1"+1/2" blue insulation sheets. I would like to cover this up with something to give it a finished look and to seal if off from spark and welding debris.
I have been thinking of:
thin sheets of aluminum
painted steel sheetmetal
stainless steel sheets
fiberglass whiteboard material (think really large dry erase board!)

Looking for any pictures, recommendations, ideas that I could go off of. I am in the process of doing high lift conversions on both doors so I need to order new springs anyways (in case an weight effects)
thanks
jimmy p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
5lima30

Default Re: Garage Door Interior Finishing Ideas

How about using thin metal roofing fastened with sheet metal screws or rivets?
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
jimmy p

thanks, i will have to find a local roofing distributer and wander around the showroom to see what they have.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
bluesman2a

this project is next on my list... I had planned to use foam-board, construction adhesive and FRP to skin the inside.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Del Swanson

I used the white coated masonite on all of the walls. It will be on the ceiling also, but it's not there yet. It worked great and it cleans up easily. I have a welding area in one corner of my shop. I put stainless sheet on the wall 8 feet each way from the corner and cauked the gaps with silver silicone,
Del Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Cardboard Man

I'm thinking aluminum trim coil might work well. It's light weight, comes in white, and is already the right size to cover a door panel. It's easy to cut and form too. I'd say go one panel at a time and just pop-rivet it on. Should make for a nice looking job.
Cardboard Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
venom50svt

comming across this post I thought I would give you another option. Working in the office furniture industry, most offices have tackboards. These are usually made of Homasote (ceiling tiles). If you use ridgid foam or the Homasote as panels for the interior of you doors, you can wrap them cheaply with fabric. You can make designs buy cutting the substrait and spray glueing the fabric on, then mounting them to the doors.. They can be used as tackboards by useing pins on an angle so when the door goes up they stay on the door
If you use Homasote it will deaden sound but it will weigh more that foam board... Use a circular or table saw for clean cuts...stevo..
venom50svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
jstroede

When we do steel backed sections (not sandwich door type sections) with insulation panels, we use 27 gauge embossed steel that slips under the roll formed section at the top and bottom and uses clips on each side to hold it in place.

John
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
CraigP

@jimmy p -- After you installed the 1.5" of foam to your garage door panels, did you notice a difference inside the garage? Was it worth it?

I've installed a new weatherstrip across the bottom of my garage door and it does a much better job keeping the wind and dirt out so now I need to figure out the best approach to stop the wind coming in from the side/top gaps and what to do about the door panels themselves. I think it's an older, uninsulated door, so it isn't keeping the cold out very well. It's a single car garage located below my living room so the warmer it stays, the warmer my feet stay inside!
CraigP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
NTAPHSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
@jimmy p -- After you installed the 1.5" of foam to your garage door panels, did you notice a difference inside the garage? Was it worth it?

I've installed a new weatherstrip across the bottom of my garage door and it does a much better job keeping the wind and dirt out so now I need to figure out the best approach to stop the wind coming in from the side/top gaps and what to do about the door panels themselves. I think it's an older, uninsulated door, so it isn't keeping the cold out very well. It's a single car garage located below my living room so the warmer it stays, the warmer my feet stay inside!
I did the same thing here in Arizona and it was a night and day difference in keeping the heat out. That steel garage door was an entire wall of HOT!
NTAPHSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
mpraddict

Just keep in mind, you're talking about adding a lot of weight to the door. Make sure your spring(s) can handle it.

my garage build
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600
mpraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
jimmy p

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I have going to give the roof flashing a try, mostly due to its light weight and how relatively inexpenive it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraddict View Post
Just keep in mind, you're talking about adding a lot of weight to the door. Make sure your spring(s) can handle it.
good point...when I added 1" foam to my 17' door I could barely open it by hand anymore.

I am actually in the process of doing high lift conversions on both my doors which require new springs anyways. I sized the springs to the new weight of the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post

I cant really say because I insulated my entire garage at the same time but I have heard from others the garage door is the biggest source of heat loss in a home, especially under a living space. Its cheap and easy, I would recommend it

Last edited by jimmy p; 01-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.