Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
perkin50

Default R19 fiberglass insulation pole barn?

Due to the high cost of spray foam insulation I would like to use fiberglass. This is what I am planning:

I have girts 2 foot on center on both sides of the 6x6 poles. I want to put R19 un-faced insulation between the girts, then a plastic vapor barrier, and lastly osb?

Will I have any problems with this?
perkin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
WIMike

Default Re: R19 fiberglass insulation pole barn?

That's essentially what I want to do too, except instead of OSB I'll use liner panels(steel). I asked the same question in another thread and don't believe there has been a response to it yet. I don't see how it could be a problem though.
WIMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
FatFenderBowTie

similar to what they did on mine...but I went with steel too

FatFenderBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
ishiboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFenderBowTie View Post
similar to what they did on mine...but I went with steel too
Is it snowing inside your building? I'm not sure the insulation will help
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
perkin50

Nice pictures!

My main concern is the fiberglass insulation on the steel?

Will the insulation have mositure and mildew issues since it it contacting the steel?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
swvega

Thats what I did to mine.30x60 morton building. Stripped the truss with 2x4's every 24" and put up vapor barrier then thin liner and blew r-50 fiberglass on ceiling. r-19 on walls vapor barrier and 1/2' osb.I'am in mn and I can heat it to 60 turn off heat and it's still above 32 after 24hr at below 0.
swvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Novicaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkin50 View Post
Nice pictures!

My main concern is the fiberglass insulation on the steel?

Will the insulation have mositure and mildew issues since it it contacting the steel?
That's how I did my shed, but it's not fully heated yet.

The idea here, looking from the top down is:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ outside tin
============== outside horizontal purlin 1.5" (A)
[] .............. [] 6x6 posts (5.5") with bats (..) between them
------------------ vapor barrior
============== inside horizontal "purlin" or "stringer" 1.5" (B)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx osb or tin (inside wall covering)

So clearly on the inside the bats only contact the vapor barrier.
On the outside, there is a theoretical 1.5" gap between the posts and the outside tin because of the outside horizontal purlin (A). So the bats may touch the tin in places, but in general there is an air gap there where air can circulate, so the condensation that forms on the tin won't be pressed tightly to the bats, and the air can dry it out.

I did it this way because I checked out how someone else's shop in the area did it and they had the builder do it (a big name, FBI,Morton,or Cleary), so I figure that's a proper way to go.

The R19 fiberglass is ~6"+ and you're fitting it in a 5.5+1.5=7" cavity between the vapor barrier and tin. So it does work out about right and as I installed it it all seemed to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8491.jpg (135.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8541.jpg (137.2 KB, 259 views)
Novicaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
swvega

Remeasure your opening. On mine I have a 6x6 pole plus a 2x4 perlin on the outside wall which adds 1.5" to the 6x6.Then on the inside wall I have a 2x4 perlin which adds another 1.5" So I have 3" in 2x4 perlins plus a 6x6 pole between tin and osb on inside wall. So I have plenty off air space in wall with r-19.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Novicaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvega View Post
Thats what I did to mine.30x60 morton building. Stripped the truss with 2x4's every 24" and put up vapor barrier then thin liner and blew r-50 fiberglass on ceiling. r-19 on walls vapor barrier and 1/2' osb.I'am in mn and I can heat it to 60 turn off heat and it's still above 32 after 24hr at below 0.
What is "thin liner"? Steel?
On my shed, my trusses are space 8' apart and the building company said that for the ceiling, I could span that with steel liner panels, and blow up to 18" of cellulose (I think) onto it without needing 2x4's every 24". Seems like I'll be asking a lot of the steel panels, but I looked at another shop done that way, and it seems fine.
I wonder if you needed the 24" 2x4s? Just curious....
Novicaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
swvega

Sorry I meant tin liner. Morton said the same thing but for the few $ more I put up 2x4's. Just felt safer and You can use the thinner steel with the 2x4's. I think it was easier to put up the vapor barrier with the 2x4's also.I blew in about 24" or better of fiberglass in mine. For area it was suppose to be about r-50. Morton said to not use cellulose in walls or ceiling. They have found that the moisture that bulids up in walls and ceiling can react with the cellulose and eat up any steel on trusses or side walls.

Last edited by swvega; 12-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
perkin50

Did you guys seal the bottom of the steel before you put up the insulation?

My barn has small air gaps at the bottom of the steel. I was thinking of sealing it with foam sealer? But maybe it is better to let the steel breathe?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Ohio Auto

I have a 30 X 48 steel clear span building with 2x6 perlins and perimiter boards. (basically like a pole barn except I have steel beams). I used several cans of foam sealer to seal up air gaps. I then used rolled faced R19 insulation in the sidewalls and ceiling. It was a little more expensive..but I wanted the rolled insulation in the ceiling vs. blown. I have drywall on the walls and steel liner panels for the ceiling. I just installed a Lennox high efficiency furnace. Also my garage doors are insulated as well.

I keep it at 46 degrees until I'm ready to go out and work in it, then I turn it up to 55. Great sweatshirt temp to work in. Pic attached.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
perkin50

Nice building!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
swvega

If your talking about the openings at the bottom of the tin no do not seal that off. You need the air to keep the inside of tin moisture free. If its cold out frost will build up on the inside of the tin then when the sun hits it it will melt and you need those openings for it to run out. If it cant your insulation will get wet and not do you any good.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
samert111

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvega View Post
If your talking about the openings at the bottom of the tin no do not seal that off. You need the air to keep the inside of tin moisture free. If its cold out frost will build up on the inside of the tin then when the sun hits it it will melt and you need those openings for it to run out. If it cant your insulation will get wet and not do you any good.
Just curious then why they make the special foam closure strips to seal up these openings if they were meant to be left open once the walls were insulated?

In my PB the wind driven snow will come up thru these openings into the building and could get on the insulation. So I'm closing up all of these gaps with the foam closure strips to prevent this and knock down as much air infiltration as possible. I've also added Tyvek house wrap in between posts before studding and insulating. Even with the closure strips the tin is not totally air tight due to the overlapping of the panels.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #16
swvega

I'am just going by what my morton rep. told me on insulateing my building.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #17
Steve NW Ohio

Why did you elect to use Tyvek instead of just plastic sheeting ?
Steve NW Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
imavanner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samert111 View Post
Just curious then why they make the special foam closure strips to seal up these openings if they were meant to be left open once the walls were insulated?

In my PB the wind driven snow will come up thru these openings into the building and could get on the insulation. So I'm closing up all of these gaps with the foam closure strips to prevent this and knock down as much air infiltration as possible. I've also added Tyvek house wrap in between posts before studding and insulating. Even with the closure strips the tin is not totally air tight due to the overlapping of the panels.
WHERE did you find these closer strips i never saw them?
imavanner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #19
CamarosRus

One of my Camaro contacts in WA state builds Pole Barns professionally. He wrote us the following.....................

"If the guy puts bare insulation bats in between the roof purlins, he is going to get moisture problems up in there. Metal roofing and siding, is particular about how it gets insulated. I always use insulation blanket with a vinyl backing, and it gets laid down first over the tops of the purlins, and then the metal goes on over that. (Vinyl side down). This creates a nice squish factor where there is no possibility of air gaps that can create moisture. If you get one air gap in between the bats and the metal with no ventilation, it will create moisture. I would never do it that way. However, if I had the insulation blanket installed first like I described above, I would have no problem installing bats for additional R value. The roof in my shop is done that way."
ILWU Longshore member
Viet-Nam 68'/69'
Collect/Restore/Judge
69'/70' Camaros

CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
swvega

I can see that. I didnt put insulation on the roof perlins I put 2x4s ever 24"on the bottom of the trusses then vapor barrier over that then my tin liner. Then I went up top and blew in r-50 fiberglass just like you would if you did a house. The bottoms of the eves. are vented to the outside and I made sure that stayed open and it vents out at the ridge.So I maybe have 2' or so of dead air space between insulation and the top of the roof at perlins and tin.I wish I had put tyvek up before they had put on outside tin on side walls but to late now.

Last edited by swvega; 01-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.