Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
mears

Default Another GM 3.1 Intake Manifold Gasket Thread

I'm going to attempt a self-repair on my 2000 Malibu with a leaking intake manifold gasket (presumably lower). I had it replaced a few years back and the mechanic used a NAPA gasket that appears to have failed. I called around and it was going to run me $800-$1000 to fix it. Car isn't worth a whole lot more than that, and by doing it myself I can pick out my own parts. After much research, I settled on the Fel-Pro gasket in favor of the updated OEM gaskets.

To start, I'm trying to decide if I should use any form of sealer around the intake ports. I've found several how-to sites that recommend using Permatex Aviation Grade Sealant, so I picked some up. I figure if there is any pitting, this may help. The Fel-Pro gasket instructions do say not to use sealant, but I'm wondering if that is just to prevent people from using a silicone based sealant.

I'll be using Right-Stuff for the end seals.
mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
wafrederick

Default Re: Another GM 3.1 Intake Manifold Gasket Thread

Are they the upgraded metal gaskets?No sealant on the intake gaskets,put in dry and RTV silicone on the ends only.Another tip,make sure you have the push rods in the right spot or you will have bent valves.Yes,the push rods are two differant lengths (6 long and 6 short).I have done tons of these installing the gaskets dry.GM says not to reuse the intake bolts on the 3400s and this does not include the 3100s
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
kornjulio

I've done the LIM on the 3.4 - should be pretty much the same on the 3.1. Didn't use any sealant around the ports; just a healthy RTV bead at the ends. As mentioned, keep the pushrods in order & prep the surfaces well.
kornjulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
mears

Yeah, my new Fel-Pro gaskets are metal (PermaDry Plus).

Will it hurt to add sealant around the coolant ports? If it won't, I just may do so because I'm definitely not looking to redo it. Do you guys advise having a coolant pressure test done after I button everything back up?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Shadowdog500

I plan on doing this to my parents car this winter, so any guidance is appreciated.

You taking pictures or video!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
kornjulio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mears View Post
Yeah, my new Fel-Pro gaskets are metal (PermaDry Plus).

Will it hurt to add sealant around the coolant ports? If it won't, I just may do so because I'm definitely not looking to redo it. Do you guys advise having a coolant pressure test done after I button everything back up?
You're just itching to put some extra goo somewhere, eh?

Have some faith in the parts you've purchased. Be more concerned about things like surface prep & bolt torque. I don't recommend a coolant pressure test when you're done. Just keep an eye on the level in the bottle & look for internal & external leaks - the little valley right below the throttle body is a good spot to shine the flashlight down into, looking for coolant.

I never did this job before I did my 3.4. With GM parts, lots of research on the 'net & an entire weekend of working slowly, it's been good for 3-4 years now?....
Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
tatra

was the use of scotchbrite pads on small buffers the reason these engines started failing?...........i ask because i heard about the pads and figured that with all the manifold leaks gm had , techs were using these to speed up cleanup of the surfaces.......
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Ohio Auto

DO NOT USE SEALANTS AROUND THE PORTS OF THE INTAKE!!!!!!!!

It is engineered to be dry sealed. And...the issue with this motor is that it leaks on the ends...not around the ports.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
jay50
Banned

I've done many of these with no comebacks. My secrets
1. Use only the Felpro metal permafix gasket; do no use any sealants on the gasket sealing areas.
2. Clean all mating surfaces absolutely cleaan. Clean out bolt holes and clean up the bolts. I reuse bolts with no problems.
3. Use RTV black for end seals, nice thick bead, but don't get too sloppy.
4. Replace the rubber oil seal on gear pump shaft while you have the intake off.
5Replace the heater quick connector fitting while everthing is off.
6 Use a dial torque wrench (inch/lbs) when tighening bolts. Use 3 steps to achieve final torque. Use correct torque and pattern.
7. Lisles makes a tool to easily remove the pushrods.

Now that I have told you my trade secrets, I expect you to report back as to how the repair went.

Last edited by jay50; 12-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Radio Flyer

If the aluminum intake is badly pitted, I have one more trick.

Mix up some JB "quick" weld and apply it over the pits with a razor blade. If it does not come out smooth enough for you, wrap some scotch brite around a piece of wood (or anything flat) and smooth it out when it dries.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
fordbroncodave

i can't tell you how many gasket kits and plenum replacement kits we sell for the 3.1's and 3.8's. just amazes me how bad of a design it was on those vehicles.

not to mention light bulbs for every SUV and truck from 2000 up on chevrolet gmc and cadillac. can't they just build a decent alternator with a good voltage regulator? there is no dought in my mind they are over volting lights for more brightness

my needs list:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...fordbroncodave
fordbroncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
wafrederick

Most engine builders will tell you not to use the scotchbrite pads for cleaning the gasket surfaces.The little pieces from the scotchbrite pads get inside the engine and that is not good.I use a wire cup brush on a diegrinder that will not do damage to aluminum wearing safety glasses.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
mears

Just started. Didn't get too far. I'm trying to use the Thexton Engine Tilting tool and can't locate the torque strut mount. Haynes manual doesn't have an image for it and it's not even mentioned in the service manual. Any ideas?

Based on my experience replacing plugs a wires a couple years back, I need to use this tilter
Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
Andy Griffith

I did this job on my wife's 96 Old's earlier this year with much help from the people here on GJ.

2000 malibu is probably different but this is the engine tilter tool in use on the 96 (lower right in picture)

This is one thread from earlier this year.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60677

Last edited by Andy Griffith; 12-30-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Add link to earlier thread
Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
LawnDart79

It's all nuts and bolts. If you're fairly handy, you can do this job yourself. I used to work in a GM dealer and did literally 100s of these intakes. They're not that hard at all.

As far as surface prep, I wouldn't use much more than a razor blade to scrape gunk and some brake clean to clean up the mess. It doesn't have to be spotless, just smooth.

I'd also use factory gaskets to do the repair. You can reuse bolts, but be sure to torque lower intake bolts properly. Also, only use RTV on the ends and make sure you put the pushrods back in the same place they came out of. The intake and exhaust pushrods are different lengths and will bend if they are not installed in the proper place.

Good luck.
LawnDart79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
tatra

pushrod lengths, how much difference?........visible by eye or side by side comparison?........never worked on one of these besdies plug change outs........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
sdowney717

Quote:
.I use a wire cup brush on a diegrinder that will not do damage to aluminum wearing safety glasses.
the metal wires break off. Over time they wear out, those little wires are going to fatigue, wear, break off and go in to the motor.

I use safety razors or a gasket scraper.
And sometimes I use a shop vac to suck up small pieces and even small amounts of sludgy oil. Vacuum out the ports too.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #18
kornjulio

That Olds looks pretty clean underhood for a '96...you do something special or are all cars in WA like that?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
wafrederick

6 of the push rods are about 1/4" shorter.I never had any of the metal wires go inside the engine,they get on me stuck in my work shirt.One machine shop in my area advises not to use the scotchbrite pads when cleaning gasket surfaces unless rebuilding the engine.The complete Dorman kit for the 3400s come with new intake bolts since GM advises not to reuse the intake bolts.Will have to use a chrome 10mm universal socket in 1/4" drive on two of the intake bolts,the right front and rear left bolts.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
mears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffith View Post
I did this job on my wife's 96 Old's earlier this year with much help from the people here on GJ.

2000 malibu is probably different but this is the engine tilter tool in use on the 96 (lower right in picture)

This is one thread from earlier this year.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60677
Yeah, that's a bit different and I don't have a torque strut in that location.