Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
macdabs

Default Anybody cut a flue in a metal roof ?

I have been debating to cut a hole in my brand new standing seam metal roof for my boiler flue pipe. The roof is 4/12 with 2 ft overhangs and I think a 8'' flue pipe going out a side or end wall would look like crap so my other option is up 14' through the brand new roof.

My big concern is the snow and ice hitting the flue pipe not to mention a hole in a new roof. Any suggestions? Did any one else run a flue pipe in such a roof .

thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

Mac
macdabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
LIVELY

Default Re: Anybody cut a flue in a metal roof ?

we cut pipes thru alot[do not like it but some times you have no choice]
can it be put on the side that shows the least? how tall are your seams?
how far apart are the seams?and how wide is your pipe outside?stainless or galvinized pipe?
how far from the ridge are you?[you might have to shape a cricket behind it to deflect ice and rain]
we use lap cement for rubber roofing to seal ALL of our seams and joints[it sinks into the cracks and also flows out smoother]
any sheeting under the metal roofing?
and -it sounds strange but -what color of roof?

lots of variables but you want it as right as possible
LIVELY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
cat06

I go out the side wall and then turn up, that way no holes in the roof. Done it with wood stoves, fireplaces, water heaters and boilers, etc.

Just easier to ensure no leaks

just an idea, hope it works out for you whichever way you decide to go
cat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
macdabs

The roof is 22'' between the seams, I attached a pic of the building. The flue pipe is Duratec double wall stainless and I was going to use a high temp rubber boot. As you can see the overhang is 2 ft on the end walls the building is all steel . I ran pex in the floor and a run up to my house hoping to offset my oil cost with this wood coal for my new shop.
Looking back I should did a chimney or a out door fire wood burner would have been easier.

I can support the flue with angle between the purlans at the top with a roof support. Since the furnace is in the left rear corner there will be 18 ft to the ridge of roof panel.

Some one said to cut the hole between the seam , I was going to place the boot in the flat between the seams is this best?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01697.jpg (149.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Nice bldg; MHO...... if you can place flue out thru the back or end wall then up, you will be much better off. Putting a round "pipe" if you will........ up thru a metal roof makes for a difficult sealing job. This can be done, but you might need to use copper sheet, form on site, solder the seams for a leak-proof seal. JMHO.
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Mike007

I cut mine thru the roof, no problem. I cut a standard B-Vent flashing to fit between the standing seams, caulked underneath it, set it down and screwed it. No problems in the five years since Ive done it.
Mike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
LIVELY

22 inches between the seams is great--try to get it in the center[DO NOT CUT RAFTERS] of the open space
use a good flange and seal it good -before and after-use pole barn screws to hold it down
use a drip ring above the flashing if you can get it or make one---seal it also for more protection
you will be just fine-relax/take a deep breath and measure 4 or 5 times before cutting too much out

LIVELY
LIVELY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
macdabs

Thanks for the help , I measured a 100 times and drilled a pilot hole last night to run a plumb bob to center the boiler and flue pipe. I hope to cut the hole today since it was sprinkling rain yesterday.

The whole project has had ups and downs with the end near to sit back and enjoy the last two years of work. As soon as I get heat I will post the build from the begining. This has been a great site that has proven I am not alone with my garage obsession.

Thanks again,
MAC