Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
malibu101

Default How to get rid of hydrochloric acid?

I have had a gallon of 11.4% hydrochoric (muriatic) acid in a corner of the garage for many years. I was given to me by a guy who serviced large pools. I was going to do something with it but never did (don't even remember why I wanted it).
Anyway, he told me to be real careful as it was really potent. I have treated the jug with caution for too long and now I want it gone.

My local municipality and my waste hauler both said they could not help me.
How can I get rid of this? I really don't know anything about this stuff like how enviromently dangerous it is. Dare I ask- can I just pour it in a hole in the ground?
I'm kinda scared of this stuff and just want to get rid of it the right way.
But how?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
malibu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
cdent

Default Re: How to get rid of hydrochloric acid?

That is very strong and should be handle carefully, but isn't that good old fashioned drain cleaner.
cdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
TAMPAGT07

I would contact a few pool companies. Maybe one will let you drop it off for them.
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
ears

Pool companies just pump it out into the street, driveway, or lawn. Well watered down. Wait until the next heavy rain and pour it out.
ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Buckgnarly

Neutralize it with a base and you end up with a salt and water. Baking soda, NaOH, etc....

If you do water it it down, do not add the water to the acid. Heat is released and it can sputter/spray all over the place. ALWAYS add acid to water, and slowly!

Or you can use it to clean some concrete if you have any that needs it.
Buckgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
KnightFire

Why not mix it with a base to neutralize it, so it can be safely disposed of?

I believe a mixture of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water would do well to neutralize hydrochloric acid. Lime should work well too. DO NOT just dump it down a drain!

Remember, always add acid to water, NEVER water to acid. You will also need goggles and face/hand protection...to use while neutralizing the acid.

Once the effervescence has ceased, the reaction has stopped, the acid is now neutralized, and is now safe to discard.
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4.7L
2008 John Deere 2520
2013 Cadillac CTS-V Supercharged 6.2L
2014 John Deere 915 Zero Turn Mower

My Garage/House/Vehicles/Etc:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KnightFire01/

Last edited by KnightFire; 01-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Vicegrip

Clean your driveway? 15 to 20% acid to water broomed on and hosed off will leave it etched bright and the acid will be salt water.

Put in the free section on Craig's list. Pool guys, brick masons and others use the stuff all the time.

A wise man knows his ignorance. A fool thinks he knows everything.
Vicegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Phixer

Muriatic acid (pool supply stuff) will neutralize when poured into a large container of water like a pool (people do swim in it after al). In my younger (foolish) years, I've used it to clean the slick (algae-induced?) surface around my pool.... pour it on the wet concrete, watch yellow fumes rise up (try to be up-wind), brush with a straw broom, rinse with more water, and now you have a clean (but roughened) concrete surface.
I've also used it to clean tire burn-out marks off the side-walk. Warning! It will etch the skin off of concrete! If you are moving out of a rental home, and want to clean oil stains off the drive way, this will do the trick!
Disclaimer: All of these ideas are probably in conflict with most safety & environmental laws/common sense!
Phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Lotek

Take it to a household hazardous waste roundup Diy hazmat disposal isn't a good idea. If something goes wrong, it can get expensive. Off the top of her head, the wife (she is in the business) said you would need about 50lbs of baking soda for 1 gallon of 11% HCl.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin

Last edited by Lotek; 01-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
malibu101

The baking soda idea was sounding real good. Until seeing Lotek's reply.

I didn't know who would use this stuff to give it to and I never thought of putting it for free on Craigslist. Thanks for the idea Vicegrip. Take at your own risk and enjoy using it.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Lotek

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but iirc hazardous substances are a no no on CL

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
JDL

Send a message via ICQ to JDL

it is good for cleaning concret you could use it to clean the drive or garage floor than just hose it down real good. I have worked with it for over 20 years as a driver. that small of amount is not evan a roportable amount.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
malibu101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
Hate to be Debbie Downer, but iirc hazardous substances are a no no on CL
That sounds reasonable. Back to square one for me.

I'm just asking for advice and am fully willing to not destroy the earth.
When it rains, the dirt alley at my garage has a very heavy stream of water of water running down it. Would dumping a couple of ounces every hour in the the runoff during a heavy rainstorm hurt anything?
Seems no differnt than using it properly as a cleaning product as mentioned above. Seems better actually as it would be more diluted.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
ears

Acid doesn't have any lasting effects like petroleum or heavy metals. There won't be any issue pouring a gallon into a heavy stream of water.
ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
nissan_crawler

Dead body.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Lotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu101 View Post
That sounds reasonable. Back to square one for me.

I'm just asking for advice and am fully willing to not destroy the earth.
When it rains, the dirt alley at my garage has a very heavy stream of water of water running down it. Would dumping a couple of ounces every hour in the the runoff during a heavy rainstorm hurt anything?
Seems no differnt than using it properly as a cleaning product as mentioned above. Seems better actually as it would be more diluted.
What's wrong with taking it to a household hazardous waste roundup? Your taxes are already paying for it.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
a390st

Quote:
What's wrong with taking it to a household hazardous waste roundup? Your taxes are already paying for it.
Around here you're lucky to find one within an hour drive around once a year or so. If the budget is tight they just don't have one. They canceled the one this year.
a390st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
malibu101

Quote:
I said in my first post but I'll explain more detail here. I went to my boro hall first and asked about household waste cleanup. They said they had nothing like that and to talk to the trash hauler.
The trash hauler said there are places in the yellow pages that will take it but that incurs a cost to me. They do not do hazardous waste of any kind including my little gallon of acid. As well they warned me not to put in the normal trash pickup as if it caused damage and could be traced to me- I'd be in trouble.
I did not call any recycling places.
If I can just dump a little now and then in the alley when it's raining without causing a Superfund site, I think that's my plan.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
sdowney717

this is CRAZY, I buy gallons of 30% strength pool acid hydrochloric at Home Depot for cleaning metal and other stuff.
Just dilute it and dump it or neutralize it
OR
use it to clean rusty metal parts.
Dont dump it on grass, it will kill the lawn.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
jayoldschool

Call your local high school and speak to the Science department. They may take it, and at least they will know how to dispose of it.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote