Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
jettago

Default Car Battery: Optima vs. Die Hard

My 1993 Ford Lightning (5.8L 351W) needs a new battery but I can’t decide which name brand I should buy. I usually drive my truck about 300 – 600 miles a year and sits comfortably in the garage when not driven. During the summer it gets fired up every 2 weeks or so and I disconnect the battery during the winter months. The stereo does draw a lot of power so that is a factor.

I’ve been looking at the Optima Yellow Top battery and the Sears Die Hard Platinum. The prices are fairly close between the two batteries.

I’m leaning towards the sears because of the warranty but I’m a little hesitant because this will be the 4th die easy I’ve installed in this truck over its lifetime.

The Optima has the following specs:

Model = D34 Yellow Top
CCA = 750
CA = 870
Reserve Capacity = 120
Amp Hour = 55
Warranty = 36 month free replacement

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...eb.php#yellow1

The Sears has the following specs:

Model = Platinum P-2
CCA = 930
CA = ???
Reserve Capacity = 135
Amp Hour = 75
Amp Hour = 48 month free replacement, 100 month prorated.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=L1

I, Frank, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
jettago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
240sxguy

Send a message via AIM to 240sxguy
Default Re: Car Battery: Optima vs. Die Hard

Die hard platinum is made by Odyssey now if word on the street is true. I have had TERRIBLE luck with optimas over the last 8 years and am done dealing with them. I bought a Platinum last week and am very optimistic about it. The warranty is top notch and the battery should outlast my previous optima. I am in a situation like you where my car sits for extended time periods.
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
shotgunfatcat

Buy an interstate battery, best battery I have had, and it is probably what originated in the truck.
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
shotgunfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
brrman

I have had a yellow top Optima in my Audi for 4 years now and it is still doing fine. I needed a deep cycle because I had installed a computer (in dash screen, etc) in the car and it needed the extra juice. Got the battery at Costco.
brrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
jay50
Banned

screw the optima and diehard crap; get your arse over to autozone and get a duralast.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
tpolley

i've seen the question asked a million times "which battery should i get". i've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter. you can buy a walmart never start and have it out last a more expensive battery and vise-versa. it seems to me that it won't matter what battery you buy since you're only driving it a few times a year. i think a maintainer or trickle charger will be your best bet at getting the most life out of the battery.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Theloniousmonk

I remember way back when, optima had a lifetime warranty...

For the money you'd pay for Optima, get the Ford OEM from the dealer, for the quality of the Diehard, go pickup whatever special they have at the chain parts store.

Not cycling the battery (driving or putting a tender on it) is one way of shortening it's life, imo, and from experience.

"Scriptures hit teh body like a sawed off shotty..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
"Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better. "
Theloniousmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
DARK AGE 53

not on your list but I'd take a look at the Autozone Duralast Gold.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
tpolley

See what I mean? Just in the first 7 replies there's about 10 different brands that everyone swears by except optima. I don't think it matters.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
blue dog
Banned

FYI, optima batteries are now made in mexico and they are having manufacturing and supply issues ever since they moved production.

The best battery on the market is the odyssey battery. They are pricey but worth it.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/
blue dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
sdowney717

better batteries have more lead so they will weigh heavier.
The best batteries so far for me, are interstate and I also like Autocraft titanium.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/

I bought several of these new and used and they always have worked well.

I took a totally discharged interstate that had sat for 2 years and it charged up to full power and holds its charge.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

see here post 14 for my answer http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85568
www.Libertytowing.webs.com
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
kbs2244

I agree on staying away from the Optima.
Just too many bad stories.

Go with a mid to top line wet cell and get a trickle charger.
Even disconnected, they will self discharge and start to sulfate.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
I can fix anything

Optima or Duralast
I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
dmeadow

I've had great luck with Optimas in my classic cars that sit for long periods. I haven't bought an Optima for 4 or 5 years and a couple of the (still functioning) ones are over 8 years old. One is probably 10 years +. I've never had one die on me. But maybe they aren't what they used to be?

These are all red tops.
dmeadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
anodyne33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfatcat View Post
Buy an interstate battery, best battery I have had, and it is probably what originated in the truck.

I've had an Interstate in the Jeep for a few years now. It went the last two sitting for months at a time, including being started maybe once last winter. It still holds a charge fine.
anodyne33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
jwillis
Banned

I have always gotten a Diehard over the years. And my next one will probably be one, too. My son bought a Duralast a few years ago and it is still pretty good. I think any major brand is OK. You get what you pay for. If you want a better battery with a better warranty, you pay more. I think any major brand is about the same.
jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #18
williaty

The Die Hard Platinum is an AWESOME battery. I got one when I installed 2-way radio equipment in the car so that I could have long run times on the radio and still start the car in cold weather. It's just really impressive how much balls the battery has. Several winters now and still going strong with no attention paid to it.

It's got a better warranty than the Optima, it has more balls than the Optima, and it costs less than the Optima.

Buy the DieHard Platinum.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

both made by johnson controls
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Teken

It doesn't really matter what brand battery you decide to buy. The one problem you're having is not buying a battery that is *intended & meant* for deep cycle use.

I don't care what brand you buy, what kind of tech they say is in the box. But, if you intend to let a standard SLI battery sit, and be drained . . .

You will have nothing but a huge paper weight, and a lighter wallet . . .

The two batteries you have listed are on the opposite side of the spectrum for use and intent . . .

The Yellow Top is designed, manufactured, and intended to be repeatedly deep cycled with out harm to the battery. The Yellow Top is not a standard wet cell SLI battery it is a AGM gell battery . . .

The other one is stated as a form of gell etc, but does not indicate it is for deep cycle use !!!

Why??

Because its not meant to endure prolonged, or successive deep discharges to the battery. For every deep discharge of a standard SLI battery it will reduce the working shelf life of the battery by 1/3 . . .

Did you get that???

1/3 . . . That means if the battery is rated to operate and work for 5 years, you have effectively reduced that run time to be 3.4 years and so forth . . .

Bottom line size the correct battery for your vehicle, install the right batter for the working condition for your use, and by all means use a battery maintainer like Battery Tender etc to keep the battery in top shape . . .

Later . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote