Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
arjog

Default Rewiring motor from 220v to 110v

Sorry if this is a little off topic, couldn't figure out where to best put it.

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a couple months, but first post I think. Anyway, I have an old craftsman belt sander that I am refurbing and picked up a cheap 1/2 HP motor to drive it. Unfortunatley, the motor was wired up to run on 220 (but says it can run on 110) and is missing the plate with the wiring diagram. I need to figure our how to switch it over. Anyone have any ideas? Attached is a pic of the current wiring set up. It definitely runs on 220 currently, (and runs very slowly on 110). I have labeled the terminals as they are labeled on the motor, as the labels didn't show up very well in the pics. The black and white wires (labeled black and white) go to the plug. The rest of the wires are all internal. Any help? Thanks.

Andy

BTW, I've sanded and painted the motor since the pics were taken, so don't worry about the rust.

arjog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
wilbilt
Banned

Default Re: Rewiring motor from 220v to 110v

arjog,
My first thought would be to move the black wire from #2 and the red from #4 to the #3 terminal.

It would, of course, be risky to do this without knowing for sure. Can you post any other info about the motor? Brand, model#, etc.....
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Check over here: http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/

Towards the bottom is a section on motors and electricity. Also, with some more information they may be able to answer your question in the forums over there.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
ScottS

a quick google turned this up

http://www.firstelectricmotor.com/motor_connections.htm

Scott
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
arjog

Thanks for the info guys. Here's a little more info on the motor. It's a 1/2 HP motor made by Century Electric Co. of Saint Louis, MO. I briefly googled the company and didn't find much, so I don't think they are still in business. I took a photo of the name plate, but you can't read the stamped info on it. I can go out to the garage and get more info in the morning if it would help.

Andy
arjog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
MAD

I have an old Century dual voltage motor for my Air compressor. The tag on the outside says:

High voltage-

GREEN-------------------o Line

BLUE/BLACK/RED----------o

BROWN/YELLOW----------o Line

Low voltage-

BLACK/GREEN /BLUE---------o Line

RED/ BROWN/YELLOW--------o Line

reverse blue and yellow to reverse direction.

I did not have a chance to open the terminal box to see if there are similar numbered screws like yours. Not the same motor but hope this helps you figure it out.

Last edited by MAD; 03-26-2007 at 08:51 PM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote