Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
briandrex

Default Craftsman 1970 model worth $35

Local guy with lightly used Craftsman toolbox. Supposedly 1970 model. Wants $35. Good price or offer $20?

briandrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
stricht8

Default Re: Craftsman 1970 model worth $35

I don't think it should fetch $35 but it is in new condition and made in the USA unlike the ones currently available. I would pay $15-20.
stricht8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
toytech40

Pictures? or more detailed descriptio?
toytech40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech40 View Post
Pictures? or more detailed descriptio?
Pictures are on the post. Description, not much of one other than supposedly around 1970.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
toytech40

Sorry, my computer not showing pics, must be problem on my end
toytech40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Horseshoe Jack

Aside from value, I don't think that's a 1970. That logo style postdates the 70's. I bought one new in 1976 and it had this style of logo on it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cman.jpg (20.6 KB, 28 views)
Horseshoe Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe Jack View Post
Aside from value, I don't think that's a 1970. That logo style postdates the 70's. I bought one new in 1976 and it had this style of logo on it:
I'm thinking maybe 1980's. Looks really similar to one I bought in the late 90's also. I may offer $15 and see if he bites. Wasn't sure what he was selling until he emailed me pictures. Box is 30" L x 9.5" H and 8.5 " Depth. At least that is the description I was given.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
kc-steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricht8 View Post
I don't think it should fetch $35 but it is in new condition and made in the USA unlike the ones currently available. I would pay $15-20.
Stricht8 would miss out on THIS one . . . I'd pay full price if ya can't talk him down. Craftsman is one of the MOST recognized names left in the U.S. I have a similar one that is shorter (not as long length-wise) and think I bought it in the early 80s. And it isn't in near as good a shape as this one.

It is a good solid tool box that will outlast the ones built today.

Steve

Feedback

Last edited by kc-steve; 01-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.
kc-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc-steve View Post
Stricht8 would miss out on THIS one . . . I'd pay full price if ya can't talk him down. Craftsman is one of the MOST recognized names left in the U.S. I have a similar one that is shorter (not as long length-wise) and think I bought it in the early 80s. And it isn't in near as good a shape as this one.

Steve
Now I'm confused! lol I really like the box just don't want to overpay for something used. I know the old reference of if you think you got a deal then it's a good deal. Unfortunately I"m not familiar with what this sold at back then or what is worth now.

$35 is not the end of the world but I'm a cheap ass and always like to think I got a deal. It's a sickness...what can I say!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
kc-steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandrex View Post
Now I'm confused! lol I really like the box just don't want to overpay for something used. I know the old reference of if you think you got a deal then it's a good deal. Unfortunately I"m not familiar with what this sold at back then or what is worth now.

$35 is not the end of the world but I'm a cheap ass and always like to think I got a deal. It's a sickness...what can I say!
ANYTHING is only worth what people are willing to pay. I would pay as little as possible but WILLING to pay full price. I bought mine for around $35 back in 198os dollars. That would be about $100 in today's dollars.

And, it is a good solid tool box that will outlast the ones built today.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Feedback

Last edited by kc-steve; 01-06-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
trainwreck

Can't help you with what it's worth, but that interior tray is intriguing. I like how it's divided into smaller compartments, but it's also lacking any kind of handle. I can't help but think it would be a hassle to remove from the tool box if it's loaded with any appreciable amount of sockets or bits. It does look like it has a lip, and sits on the box instead of in the box, but as nice as the box is, that tray might be annoying enough for you to not like using this particular tool box.
trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
briandrex

Decisions, decisions. What's a guy to do? lol

I do see what you mean about no handle on the tool tray. That would be a pain to get out of there if it were full with sockets or tools.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
kc-steve

trainwreck, that's a good point I missed because mine does have a tray handle. This toolbox might be designed as a carpenter's box, so the handle would not be so much of an issue. The length is the tip-off. Mine is shorter with the tray handle, but I am sure mine is a mechanic's toolbox.

Steve

Feedback
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
mrholeshot

I like the box but don't like the tray, that would be the deal breaker at 35 and down to 15. It just depends on how well the box fits your needs
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
kc-steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
I like the box but don't like the tray, that would be the deal breaker at 35 and down to 15. It just depends on how well the box fits your needs
Yup, I agree there. Offer $15 saying there's NO HANDLE on the tray. If he drops the price, then buy it and modify it with your own handle.

Just a suggestion, because I know overall, this is a good box.

Steve

Feedback
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc-steve View Post
Yup, I agree there. Offer $15 saying there's NO HANDLE on the tray. If he drops the price, then buy it and modify it with your own handle.

Just a suggestion, because I know overall, this is a good box.

Steve
Here goes nothing. Thanks for the input guys. Gonna offer $15 and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
old salvage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe Jack View Post
That logo was common in the 80's, maybe the only one they used. But the logos overlapped. During the 70's there were 3 different ones in use.
old salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
eyeboltman

I go max15 -20. They go higher on ebay but some people buy them to match they old cars !!Handle ? Good eyes guys !!!
eyeboltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
briandrex

Well the seller wants full price so I think I'm gonna let this one go. Plenty of others out there to go after and better bargains.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
mrholeshot

Yeah, sometimes you just have to walk away
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
Tink

The handle is on the tray. It's just hard to see.It runs across from the high sides of the tray.
Tink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
mikevango

Is that a 30 inch or 24 inch box? Either way $35 was a good price. Find me a better deal on a 24 inch box. And it was made in the USA. You missed out cheapskate.
mikevango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevango View Post
Is that a 30 inch or 24 inch box? Either way $35 was a good price. Find me a better deal on a 24 inch box. And it was made in the USA. You missed out cheapskate.
It was 30". Also I take cheapskate as a compliment so thank you! lol I will find a better bargain, I can guarantee it. How you may ask? Little sleep and lots of caffeine!

Tea Anyone? Lets Party!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
The handle is on the tray. It's just hard to see.It runs across from the high sides of the tray.

Thanks for pointing that out. When I asked the owner about it they said it didn't have one so I'm not really sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
barney rubble

That is for sure a carpenters box. It even has the knock out in the lid for your square to stick out of. I have a generick (china probably) imitation of that very box that sits on a self to hold some of my carpenter tools. If I wanted a long box I would of been all over it. Hell I think I give $20.00 for mine just because its long and its crap.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
TMCCuda

My father has one with the crown logo on it from the late 60s. It was included with his first set of tools. Its model #6500. His was beat up with busted hinges. I found the same one on ebay new in box for $40 (original 60s packaging unopened) and gave it to him for Christmas. Lots of 'em on ebay at $35 or less used.

With all that said, I swear I saw a black Craftsman two-hinge metal box exactly like the 6500 on the shelf at Sears last week or less.
TMCCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCCuda View Post
My father has one with the crown logo on it from the late 60s. It was included with his first set of tools. Its model #6500. His was beat up with busted hinges. I found the same one on ebay new in box for $40 (original 60s packaging unopened) and gave it to him for Christmas. Lots of 'em on ebay at $35 or less used.

With all that said, I swear I saw a black Craftsman two-hinge metal box exactly like the 6500 on the shelf at Sears last week or less.
Thanks. Now I don't feel completely cheap. I know there has to be some other cheap skates on here. I like quality stuff and buying it but sometimes the hunt is more fun then when I finally have it in my hands. My wife always wonders why I'm looking at tool boxes. She says don't you have enough?

I say...naaaahhhh never!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
briandrex

Here's another one I just saw online. Don't know much about it but it's from 1979 and a craftsman for $55.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #29
spongerich

I think you did right to pass on that one. I just bought 2 exactly like that at an auction for $10 each. One has the old style logo. It's definitely a carpenters' box. One I got still had the saw mounted in the lid.

I'm on the fence about how much I like it. It's a nice big box and it fits both my torque wrenches, some big extensions and a couple of speeders quite nicely, but the lack of a real handle does make keeping the tray full of sockets a pain in the ass.

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #30
volpster31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post

i have that same box and the tray has a big heavy handle...that tray does NOT have a handle on it..id bet its a mismatch tray from something else
volpster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #31
spongerich

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpster31 View Post
i have that same box and the tray has a big heavy handle...that tray does NOT have a handle on it..id bet its a mismatch tray from something else
Neither of mine have handles on the trays, nor any evidence of one having been attached. I believe that's because they're carpenter's versions and the extra clearance is needed for storing saws in the lid.

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #32
plinker

IMO, if the box is in great shape/like new it's worth 35$. Most boxes made now arent as heavy duty and dont have that classic look everybody likes.

But it boils down to how bad you want it vs. how bad you need it to figure out it's value to you.

For my use a box like that is too long for anything except wood working tools. Right there it has somewhat limited value unless you are a carpenter looking for a box or like long boxes.

Quote:
Here's another one I just saw online. Don't know much about it but it's from 1979 and a craftsman for $55.
Thats a nice looking box, much cheaper then the new china boxes that go around 100$ (around here anyway).

For hand tool warranty info, see link
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38749
plinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #33
tooldeloo

I had / have two of these carpenter's boxes. First one was a brown wrinkle finish from Kennedy. I bought it in 1982 for about $40 or so, It was stolen in 1994 and then I got a red C-man one, for about $50 or so, I think. Both had hasps in the middle, instead of the lock on the one in the picture, and both were identical, except for the paint.
The one in the picture has the holes punched in the lid for screws to pass through to hold a kerfed block of wood on the inside as a saw holder.
tooldeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #34
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldeloo View Post
I had / have two of these carpenter's boxes. First one was a brown wrinkle finish from Kennedy. I bought it in 1982 for about $40 or so, It was stolen in 1994 and then I got a red C-man one, for about $50 or so, I think. Both had hasps in the middle, instead of the lock on the one in the picture, and both were identical, except for the paint.
The one in the picture has the holes punched in the lid for screws to pass through to hold a kerfed block of wood on the inside as a saw holder.
Thanks for that input. I learn something new everyday!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #35
mrholeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevango View Post
The box didn't fit his needs so he didn't buy it. Thats smart, not cheap.

Oh I forgot who I was talking to
Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #36
briandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
The box didn't fit his needs so he didn't buy it. Thats smart, not cheap.

Oh I forgot who I was talking to
Thanks for backing me up mrholeshot! I'm not worried about the label cheapskate. I kinda like it.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldeloo View Post
This^

I have a red one from the '90s. I kept it in the basement for years loaded with my "home owners" tools and stuff--picture hanger hooks, wall anchors, spackle and knife, basic set of screw drivers, tape measure, pencils, etc. etc.

The piece of wood in the lid tooldeloo refers to runs the width of the lid (front/back), is probably an inch tall and inch wide, and has two slits going through it. You slide the blade of a wood saw through the slit, and it secures the saw inside the lid. I had two saws in the lid of mine (rip and cross-cut).
The knock-out in the lid is for a carpenter's square to pass through, but I always thought that put the end of the square at risk for getting bent.

The center divider in the tray, the one that runs side-to-side, IS the handle as well--it has a bent flange running it's full length. It's more of a finger-tip handle, rather than a handle you put in the palm of your hand.

I still keep some supplies in it, but most of the tools have moved to the shop with my automotive stuff. In my case, I've found over the years that it's easier for me to go out into the shop and get what I need, than go into the basement for a few tools and supplies, and then go out into the shop for the rest of what I invariably need.

That tool box would be perfect for the guy who does the occasional wood working project, home repair, etc.

-Brad

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote