Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
phoenixautorepairs

Default toolbox security

hey guys i want to make sure my toolboxes suddenly dont disappear one night whats the best way to secure them to the floor or wall. is it possible to fit a alarm to them?. ive two 40" rollcabs and two 26" rollcabs plus lockers on both. at the min ive them all bolted together to try and stop them moving but id really like to make them more secure. any ideas??
phoenixautorepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
gc11090

Default Re: toolbox security

Dear god if anyone can move all that together they deserve the tools haha. A friend of mine has a gps tracker in his box.
gc11090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
jetz

Get a floor brake installed. Place it so in order to unlock it, you have to stick your foot in further under the box. This would both make it harder to see, and harder to find. Random people would not guess that is there, since most people just look at the wheel locks, and go from there.
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
mrholeshot

add them in your homeowners. Nothing can stop a good theif other than a bullet
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
rsanter

do you move them?
if you dont then take off the wheels

you could also put an anchor in the floor and install a padlock underneath

bob
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
american lockpicker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
Best advice so far.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
crewchief888

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
^^^^

this

work tools are covered by my employer, even while in my service truck, for replacement value.

tools in the garage are covered by homeowners for replacement costs.

if the thief manages to get past a watchful neighbor, his 3 dogs, my dog, all he has to do is get to the end of the driveway before the 1st bullet hits.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
poprockcrusher
Banned

they take the cutting torch and cut the locks out on the big ones
poprockcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
ZRX61

Jack em up, place em on wooden blocks so the wheels aren't touching the ground....

...then hide the jack under your bed..

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
hofferwood

Romulan cloaking device

Electric "Fencer" (never pee on a weed touchin' an electric fence)

But on the insurance.

Chuck

If it aint broke,fix it till it is
I have A.D.L.A.B.
ATTENTION DEFI---LOOK A BUNNY!!!!

hofferwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
TN_GARAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixautorepairs View Post
hey guys i want to make sure my toolboxes suddenly dont disappear one night whats the best way to secure them to the floor or wall. is it possible to fit a alarm to them?. ive two 40" rollcabs and two 26" rollcabs plus lockers on both. at the min ive them all bolted together to try and stop them moving but id really like to make them more secure. any ideas??
If it's at the house, maybe bolting them to the floor or garage will slow em down (nothing can really stop a determined thief...except bullets)

I did see an alarm system on that Cool Tools TV show. Who knows if the product actually made it to market (i don't have much luck finding some of those Cool Tools in the places I shop)

Also...they do make those small battery powered alarms people use on their house windows (can find them at dollar store). Might work. If I were a thief, I'd break that alarm with my hammer in about 2 seconds, though.

Also, do all the smart preventive things (lighting, locks on the door, good neighbors, trim the bushes, etc.)
TN_GARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
PSYKO_Inc

You could pull the drawers out, drill a couple holes in the back wall, and lag bolt it to the studs of the wall behind it. I'd also recommend taking the wheels off and adding your tools to your homeowners insurance. I wouldn't recommend the GPS tracker though; the metal box will pretty much act like a Faraday cage and render the tracker completely useless.
PSYKO_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
leod

i will be surprise if thief will raid a house andgo after THE tools. i would think electronics, jewelries and othe high price (or go to the safe) and easier to sell items then tools unless the thief lurks in this board.
leod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
canuckian

I like the bullet idea but up here in good ol' Canada that'll get you life in prison!

I worry about the security of my garage/toolboxes as well but I'm not about to take the wheels off or bolt them to the floor. I like to be able to wheel it around the shop. I've just done some preventative things (motion lighting, good visibility, good neighbors, 2 dogs with great hearing, wireless motion sensor hooked into my monitored alarm system, windows covered when I'm not around, garage door NEVER left open unattended, deadbolt on the door and i'm very careful about who is allowed into the yard and garage). That and my garage contents are covered under my homeowner's policy. I figure if someone breaks in while i'm not around, they'll likely be caught heading off with a big orange toolbox(unless they're in a van). They'd better be fast as well because police response with the alarm is usually pretty quick here (smaller town with both federal and municipal police - both respond). If all else fails, I have the insurance

My wife used to think I was paranoid and a little OCD about security but as time goes on, she's starting to see that a little bit of prevention and cynicism can give a lot in the way of peace of mind!
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
lowbucktruck

Are your boxes at work place or at home? Burglar alarm and security cameras at your workplace should help deter theft, but if the thieves have enough time, they will find a way. Deadbolts on all garage doors is the best, deny them access to the garage/shop area (or at least slow them down)... as long as people use them. We have secured doors and security cameras at my place of work, and rooms with tools/equipment are kept locked when not in use.
I have a nice big log chain secured to my roller tool cabinets anchored to an eyehook in the concrete floor, with enough slack to allow me to move the box around. Jetz's floor brake idea is a good one too. You've got the right idea with bolting your roller cabinets together, makes it really difficult to get them out of the building. Thief will usually not steal something if its too much trouble or time-consuming, they want to get in and get out with the loot quick.

On the hunt for...
Mac sockets in 3/8-inch drive (to complete a set)

My wanted thread:
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176253
lowbucktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
phoenixautorepairs

the boxes are in my own garage about 200ft from my house the doors into the garage are plate steel but the large doors for cars trucks etc are only sheet tin bolted to a steel frame the garage itself is 30ft by 60ft with a height of 25ft so its a big space to try and cover with cameras etc and one one side is a hedge that is belong to a neighbour that i cant cut. ive had problems before with thieves so shooting them is out and i live in ireland and over here it is impossible to insure tools even on my business policy. this is the reason im desperate to make sure no one can steel my tools!
phoenixautorepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Busted Bolts

An old friend of mine had a problem with tools going missing during the night shift, so he took large floor mats like the ones you see at store entrances, and soaked them with a garden hose, and place 360 degrees around the rollaway, and then connected his arc welder leads to the box, and placed the welder in a secure closet that had restricted acess and also the outlet, the next day he was told of one of the techs had let out a huge yell and requested to go home early and said he didn't feel well. He hasn't had a problem with his box since.
Busted Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Bolts View Post
An old friend of mine had a problem with tools going missing during the night shift, so he took large floor mats like the ones you see at store entrances, and soaked them with a garden hose, and place 360 degrees around the rollaway, and then connected his arc welder leads to the box, and placed the welder in a secure closet that had restricted acess and also the outlet, the next day he was told of one of the techs had let out a huge yell and requested to go home early and said he didn't feel well. He hasn't had a problem with his box since.
glad that worked my luck i'ld forget i did it
www.Libertytowing.webs.com
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
skang

replace the wheels with the pad one. I don't know the exact term.
skang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
boomerangg22

If your worried about protecting your own property by shooting them. Just shoot them throw them into the back of your pickup and take them over to your ex-wife house and toss them in her pool.
boomerangg22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security, snap on tool box, toolbox, workshop