Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
metalhead212121

Default No water pressure in my house!! Help!!

Forgive me if I'm not posting in the right section. I woke up this morning and quickly found out that I had very low water pressure from all the faucets, shower ect ect. in my house. Long story short I called the water company and they said (for lack of better wording) that the main feed pipe has a crack in it and thats what the problem is. I can believe that because I could hear something around where the main pipe feeds into the house. Now heres my REAL question. Who is supposed to pay for the repair?? Me or the town??? In my mind since the pipe broke OUTSIDE MY house its the towns responsiblity. The town says its MY responsiblity because they claim that the pipe broke on MY PROPERTY (outside my house). Personally I can't see how they can WHERE it broke due to the fact that its at least 3 to 4 feet underground. End result is a $5,000 estimate to fix it. What do you guys think?? Lastly.. doesn't home owners insurance cover something like this?? I DOUBT it but I figured I'd ask.

Dan
metalhead212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DYNA BILL
Banned

Default Re: No water pressure in my house!! Help!!

If it's between the meter and your house, it's on your dime.
If it's before the meter, it's on their dime.
DYNA BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA BILL View Post
If it's between the meter and your house, it's on your dime.
If it's before the meter, it's on their dime.
That's correct, break out the shovel/Bobcat and start digging. I won't pay someone $80 hour to dig a hole.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
metalhead212121

yeah.. thats what I said.. the leak is BEFORE the meter. Now who do I have to go to and agrue this to? The water company doesnt agree with this...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
metalhead212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer View Post
That's correct, break out the shovel/Bobcat and start digging. I won't pay someone $80 hour to dig a hole.
Its about 20* here and right now and the snow is falling.. we're expected to get at least 12 to 18 inches. The pipe is at least 3 to 4 feet underground.... I'm not gonna dig in this weather... If you want to dig it up be my guest.. lol how much you want?

Dan
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Kev442

Water dept owns the main. There is a shutoff somewhere near the street where their responsibility ends. The feed to your house is yours. Welcome to $5000 union repair jobs. Cost me $6k to get stormwater drains hooked to the city system last summer.
Kev442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Cobra5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead212121 View Post
yeah.. thats what I said.. the leak is BEFORE the meter. Now who do I have to go to and agrue this to? The water company doesnt agree with this...
"Before" the meter coming from your house? Is it between the house and meter or the meter and the main?

Factory Five Daytona Coupe-Under Construction
1998 Durango-182K and counting (knock on wood)
2005 Sebring Convetible-Crashed
Factory Five Racing Cobra replica-Sold
Cobra5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
tdkkart

Around here the city shutoff valve is at the property line in front of the house. From the main to the shutoff is the city's, from the shutoff into the house is the home owner's. Same with the sewer line.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
You didn't say in your original post that it was before the meter. If that's the case, it's their responsibility to fix it at their cost. You don't own the pipe before the meter, they do.
Try calling your city council and complaining. The city should fix it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
DYNA BILL
Banned

Also, if the leak is before the meter, your neighbors should also have low pressure. Have you talked to them?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
Around here the city shutoff valve is at the property line in front of the house. From the main to the shutoff is the city's, from the shutoff into the house is the home owner's. Same with the sewer line.
Around here, the shut-off is at the meter.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
930dreamer
Super Moderator

If you turn off your water at the main, and it starts to rise above ground it's the local water company's problem. Wouldn't this prove it's before the meter?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
tdkkart

Quote:
You didn't say in your original post that it was before the meter. If that's the case, it's their responsibility to fix it at their cost. You don't own the pipe before the meter, they do.
Try calling your city council and complaining. The city should fix it.

Depends. As per my post above, the line from the shutoff to the house is the home owner's responsibility, even though the meter is inside the house.
When you put in a new service, the water company will give you a pipe with a unions on each end, pipe and unions are the same lenghth as a meter. You/your plumber installs the line from the shutoff at the main to the house, somewhere just inside your house you put in a break to install their pipe, and then continue plumbing the house. Once rthe inspection is signed off on the plumbing the water company will come take their pipe out and install a meter in that location.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Kevin54

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm not posting in the right section. I woke up this morning and quickly found out that I had very low water pressure from all the faucets, shower ect ect. in my house. Long story short I called the water company and they said (for lack of better wording) that the main feed pipe has a crack in it and thats what the problem is. I can believe that because I could hear something around where the main pipe feeds into the house. Now heres my REAL question. Who is supposed to pay for the repair?? Me or the town??? In my mind since the pipe broke OUTSIDE MY house its the towns responsiblity. The town says its MY responsiblity because they claim that the pipe broke on MY PROPERTY (outside my house). Personally I can't see how they can WHERE it broke due to the fact that its at least 3 to 4 feet underground. End result is a $5,000 estimate to fix it. What do you guys think?? Lastly.. doesn't home owners insurance cover something like this?? I DOUBT it but I figured I'd ask.

Dan
Do you have any water coming to the surface outside? And if not, how do they know the crack is in the main? Did they come and check to see for certain? What they might do is fix it then tack it on to your taxes over a period of time. Where are you located? Location determines how far it is buried. It will be down to at least the frost line and maybe a little further.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
metalhead212121

sorry for the confusion... in my opinion the leak is from meter to the main. Again I'm really sorry for the confusion. Plumbing is not something I'm good at. Describing plumbing over the net is REALLY something I'm not good at.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
Depends. As per my post above, the line from the shutoff to the house is the home owner's responsibility, even though the meter is inside the house.
When you put in a new service, the water company will give you a pipe with a unions on each end, pipe and unions are the same lenghth as a meter. You/your plumber installs the line from the shutoff at the main to the house, somewhere just inside your house you put in a break to install their pipe, and then continue plumbing the house. Once rthe inspection is signed off on the plumbing the water company will come take their pipe out and install a meter in that location.
Call me naive or maybe I'm mis-understanding. Or maybe it's a difference in geological locations, but I've never seen a water meter inside of one's house. How does the water company read your usage?
My water meter/shut-off is in my front yard.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Kevin54

Quote:
Around here, the shut-off is at the meter.
It all depends on what area and how it is set up. Some of the older homes have the meters in the house and the meter will have a shutoff, to shut the water off to the house. But there should still be a street shutoff that the city can shutoff. It takes a special wrench to do it and the shutoff is down in the ground. On my old house, the shutoff to my house was two houses down the street Our town went to all mandated outside meters. This keeps anyone from coming insode to have to read a meter. At my dads house the meter still has to be read every three months. I can read it and send it in. They would like it moved outside, is not mandatory, but it is approximately a $1000 to the homeowner to have it moved
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
metalhead212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
Do you have any water coming to the surface outside? And if not, how do they know the crack is in the main? Did they come and check to see for certain? What they might do is fix it then tack it on to your taxes over a period of time. Where are you located? Location determines how far it is buried. It will be down to at least the frost line and maybe a little further.
I wasn't here when the water company came.. my mother was. From what I was told when the water was shut off in my house... water was coming to the surface like there was no tomorrow. Im located in Northern NJ (the state that sux you dry from high property taxes, low wages and other stuff I can't think of right now) Good point about the pipe be at least to the frost line or futher (makes A LOT of sense). Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
DYNA BILL
Banned

Metalhead, if you have a crawlspace, get under there and see if you have a busted pipe. That's the only thing that I can think of that would cause you to hear water running.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Kevin54

Quote:
Call me naive or maybe I'm mis-understanding. Or maybe it's a difference in geological locations, but I've never seen a water meter inside of one's house. How does the water company read your usage?
My water meter/shut-off is in my front yard.
They have a meter reader that goes around to read them. As in th ecase of my dads, either I do it, write the reading on a card and send it in, or if the meter reader is making his rounds, he will stop and read it. The meter readers still go around, but on new houses the meter is electronic, is outside, and is read electronically with a hand held device.