Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
birdman1

Default Materials for garage ceiling--Metal VS 4x8 panels

I am working up some figures for the shop ceiling. If I put up 4x8 panels (OSB. of plywood I naturally have to paint. One coat of oil base primer, and two coats of paint, is normally what it takes to look good. I have ck'ed with a roofing contractor about installing the roofing tin on the ceiling. This is 3' wide and $1.50 per L/FT. He has quoted materials and labor but he is way to high on that quote.I have family that can help me but one bay is 16 ft. high for a lift and kinda dangerous on ladders. OSB is approx. $7.00 per panel and it will take 40 sheets to cover the ceiling,then paint. The roofing materials comes painted so once it is up you are done.We may put the roofing steel up ourselves. Any ideas about this will be appreciated.
Thank you
Mike
birdman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
JC23

Default Re: Materials for garage ceiling--Metal VS 4x8 panels

Have you looked into the plasitc version of that metal? It's lighter, easier to handle and may be cheaper. Plus, the shiny finish reflects light like crazy.

I've seen it on here a number of times.
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
ralfs56

not sure about price...would certainly be easier and faster than the OSB option http://www.zipupceiling.com/
ralfs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Zeke

You can rent a rolling stage for installation and painting, whichever system you decide on. Safer and faster than ladders. I think I'd choose something fire resistant.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
dcovey

I'm going to go with corrugated metal from Lowes unless someplace else has a better deal. I do get an additional 10% off with a military ID (retired).

Lowes Page

13.92 a sheet or 1.16 a linear foot.. Its cheaper than the metal on the outside, and easier to put up and finish than OSB or drywall..And I think it will look good..

Dave
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
fflintstone

Metal roofing is about $.60 per sq ft @ menards.
When I have a spare $1,000 I will do mine.
fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Test Pilot

I used the metal on the walls and the ceiling both. No painting required,installs quick and easy and it is a good look when done >>>>.
Test Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
5lima30

When I was looking at corrugated metal it was almost $2 a sheet cheaper at Home Depot. Just today I was at Home Depot and bought a 5# box of nails that was almost $2.50 less than Lowes. BTW you can get the military discount at Home Depot w/ ID.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
birdman1

Thanks to all of you, for your ideas.Test Pilot, I saw your pics in a thread today,that looks great. Just did not know how much that would cost.I just retired from Lowe's and had forgotten about us having the plastic roofing materials,mostly used for small greenhouses and patios, will have to ck. out those prices tomorrow at the store.or on line.I still get my 10% discount, retired military also. The old style 5V tin is only 2ft wide and the metal roof I priced was $1.50 per ft. and 3 ft. wide. A scaffold would be safer than a ladder, as someone said. I have even thought about painting the OSB panels on tarps or plastic, then installing them.I liked the metal idea,and it will cost approx. $800.00 to pull it off,but hey, you're done. no painting.
Thanks for the help, any more ideas, please pass those along as well
Mike
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Test Pilot

I used a sheet rock lift and two ladders to do the install and it went quick >>>>.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Keep

How noisy is your garage with the all metal walls? Has to echo in there quite a bit.
Keep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep View Post
How noisy is your garage with the all metal walls? Has to echo in there quite a bit.
Haven't noticed. I guess I got enough junk in there to absorb the sound >>>>.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Ohio Auto

Just installed steel panels on my ceiling. Rented a scissors lift and with the help of a buddy got them all up. I checked the plastic vs. steel and the steel was cheaper. Put it up and you're forever done...no painting, no maintainance...and it is a heck of a lot lighter than OSB.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Fastback

I put the Durapanel on the ceiling, its the thinner gauge than the exterior metal but works & looks the same. I used a scaffolding to put it up and I did need a helper. Mt ceiling is 23' 6"' wide so I ordered it in 12' lengths and have an overlapping seam down the center.

IT was cheaper than drywall after it's all said n done. I spend right at $400 for 720 SF with the needed J channel.

Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
jvitez

How to you gents put up fluorescent fixtures with a metal ceiling? Just drill a hole and use toggle bolts or is the metal too flimsy, meaning each fixture must be screwed into a truss bottom?

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
halltrail

I was just going through the same thing my self...trying to decide between metal vs drywall. I ended up going with 5/8" drywall. I bought a cheap drywall lift (thought it was going to take me a couple of days so I didnt want to rent). I ended up putting up 18 sheets in two evenings on a 12 foot ceiling by my self. Of course now I gotta finish it...but no rush. I was most concerned about covering up the insulation.
halltrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
ClickClickBoom

I just got done covering my ceiling in Fiberglass Duct Board used for commercial air ducts:

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/bui...ith_ecose.aspx

-Fiberglass, so it's fire retardant
-Foil Faced so it reflects light
-R-Value of 6-9
-Easy install with drywall screws and washers

I think this is fairly expensive to buy retail, but I bought factory 2nds/ overstock and paid $7 a 4x10 sheet.
ClickClickBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvitez View Post
How to you gents put up fluorescent fixtures with a metal ceiling? Just drill a hole and use toggle bolts or is the metal too flimsy, meaning each fixture must be screwed into a truss bottom?
Sheet metal screw through the fixture and ceiling metal into the bottom cord of the truss. The ribs run the opposite way of the trusses so, it works out pretty easy. Sheet metal screw every 2'...

A word of advice... go to a lighting/ electric supply house and buy a decent fixture. You'll get a better ballast. I chose t-8 8' 4 bulb fixtures. Each fixture takes (4) 4' bulbs. That way i only have to stock 1 type of bulb and dont have to mess with the p.i.a. 8 foot bulbs.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #19
birdman1

Thank you folks, for the information. I will install my 8 ft. 2 tube light fixtures with 2-3 inch screws, through the fixture, ceiling, and into the ceiling joist which is the bottom of the truss like Purdue SD stated he would mount fixtures.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
Test Pilot

Ok here is the look before the sheeting. I did space the lights out so they would be under a 2/4 too >>>>.