Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
tpolley

Default how do i find a stud in a plaster wall?

how do i find a stud in a plaster wall? My stud finder won't do the job.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
TAMPAGT07

Default Re: how do i find a stud in a plaster wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolley View Post
how do i find a stud in a plaster wall?
I'm not sure, but my wife found me in a crowded club...
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Junkman

Measure 16" on center from a known opening, and then start tapping gently with a hammer. You should hear the difference between striking solid backing and a hollow area. It might be as much as 8" off from the opening, since not all openings happen at the 16" mark. Easy way to know if it is, divide the opening by 8 and that should give you an idea of what I am referring to. If the opening is 32", then it should be easy to find one at the 16" mark. If the opening is 30", then the first stud will be 16" plus or minus 2". It is easier to do than it is to explain. Usually a opening is at the 16" mark on one side, but not necessarily on the other side. Once you think that you have found a stud, using a small nail, try to drive it into the plaster about 6" above the floor. If you have hit the stud, it will be stuck into the wood. If not, then it will penetrate the plaster and not hit wood. If this is an old house with lath and plaster walls, all bets are off. Then it is time to call in an expert..

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
kartracer23

I had to find one a few weeks ago to mount a TV. Plaster & lath walls. I just drilled a small hole to the right of where an outlet was mounted. Missed it the first time, but hit it the second.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
TAMPAGT07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer23 View Post
Missed it the first time, but hit it the second.
This may be my epitaph...
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
metal1313

it is was a well built home it should be close to 16oc, but i rap the walls with my kunckels and listen for a different sound. i also drill small holes and use a bent hanger to find studs
metal1313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Torque1st

If a studfinder does not work I usually take the cover off an outlet and probe for which side the stud is on. Then just measure every 16".
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Read "The Marching Morons" Here
"Works" <> Safe, Good, or Right
"You can't fix stupid." -Ron White
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
tdkkart

Unless the electrician that wired the house was left handed, MOST outlets will be on the right side of a stud. Find one and the rest should be on 16" centers. There will ALMOST always be a full width stud at every corner, usually you can start from a corner and measure 16 O.C. from the corner.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Hiball

Sometimes you can find the studs by looking for Nail holes in the Trim/Baseboard. If you combine this info with the Outlet stud side and a Tape measure it will get you where you want to be.

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Kevin54

If it is a plaster and lath wall DO NOT pound on the wall even if you find a stud. Pre-drill before you drive a nail or better yet use a screw. On the old plaster and lath, the plaster in the back that "keys" the plaster onto the lath becomes weak and will fall off. When that happens, the plaster will come loose from the lath
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Racer_X

Have you considered using a magnetic stud finder? As cheap as they are, it's worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-400.../dp/B0000BYD3K
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Hank McMauser

My suggestion, sledge hammer&pry bar remove all plaster & lath, update wiring whiloe you're at it, then insulate it to modern standards. You'll thank me later when the heat bills come due.

wtb/trade for :
US made NAPA tools.
Hank McMauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank McMauser View Post
My suggestion, sledge hammer&pry bar remove all plaster & lath, update wiring whiloe you're at it, then insulate it to modern standards. You'll thank me later when the heat bills come due.
+1 on this. You will have a hard time on older houses if they have horizontal wood lath as well as wire mesh in the plaster over the top of the lath. I gave up at the MIL's house last year and ripped all of the plaster out, re-wired everything up to code with grounded outlets, insulated the walls and put up new sheetrock.

Her house was built in 1931 and the studs were NOT on 16" centers. That became common after 4x8 sheet goods started to be used in order to hit the edges of the 4" sheets. Her house used plaster interior walls, diagonal sub flooring and inset diagonal bracing in the outside walls with lap siding. None of those required 16" C/C on the studs.

Her house must have been built by the three stooges. The wall stud spacing was 18", 20" or 24" depending on the wall you were working on and the studs are full size, rough cut hardwood. You either drill a pilot hole or use a nail gun to put anything into them.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Scout Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Her house must have been built by the three stooges. The wall stud spacing was 18", 20" or 24" depending on the wall you were working on and the studs are full size, rough cut hardwood. You either drill a pilot hole or use a nail gun to put anything into them.
Good advice here. +1 on irregular stud spacing. It's more common than you may think.

Scott
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Heavy Metal Doctor

I have found in my old shack (crica 1914) that studs are not anywhere you think they should be - and can't be measured out from a corner -- there's no "known" starting spot for 16" OC spacing. So I punch a small hole through the plaster with a small finish nail in spot that's not too noticable near where I need to mount something. Then I use a piece of wire (coathangar or mechanics wire) and couple of 90 bends on one end. Put it though the hole and then and twist around till I "feel" the stud. Note the angle of the ouside 90 bend as a way to reference where the other end of the wire is when I pull it back out of the wall.
Heavy Metal Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Torque1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Metal Doctor View Post
I have found in my old shack (crica 1914) that studs are not anywhere you think they should be - and can't be measured out from a corner -- there's no "known" starting spot for 16" OC spacing. So I punch a small hole through the plaster with a small finish nail in spot that's not too noticable near where I need to mount something. Then I use a piece of wire (coathangar or mechanics wire) and couple of 90 bends on one end. Put it though the hole and then and twist around till I "feel" the stud. Note the angle of the ouside 90 bend as a way to reference where the other end of the wire is when I pull it back out of the wall.
That is a good trick!
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Read "The Marching Morons" Here
"Works" <> Safe, Good, or Right
"You can't fix stupid." -Ron White
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote