Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
bmwohio

Default Inexpensive Garage Heater

I have a two car garage, and I am DIY'er on the weekends, and Ohio winters are not nice to us sometimes. My garage has drywall, but no rooms above the garage.

I am looking for preferably an electric heater for under $100. I would consider kerosene, but do these heaters put out any fumes in an enclosed non ventilated space?

Thanks in advance for any help on this
bmwohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
drummingpariah

Send a message via AIM to drummingpariah Send a message via Skype™ to drummingpariah
Default Re: Inexpensive Garage Heater

I just asked a similar question, and got a unanimous "kerosene heater" reply. You just need to make sure you have clearance for flammable materials and adequate airflow (so you and the flame can both breathe healthily).
drummingpariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
LIVELY

garage insulated good? i bought a new[ old stock motel heater/air conditioning combo] on CL last year for my 26 by 24 garage and it works great
i gave $ 150.00 for it in the box
it is electric but it does a great job
LIVELY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
djd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
I just asked a similar question, and got a unanimous "kerosene heater" reply. You just need to make sure you have clearance for flammable materials and adequate airflow (so you and the flame can both breathe healthily).
I use a kerosene heater and hate it, it stinks period. I use mine to take the chill off, I put my forced air furnace on 60 and use the ready heater in my hoist room to make it more comfy to work. Last Saturday I was using it all day and got real light headed that evening. Had to walk outside quick before I passed out. Did I mention it stinks!

If you want good clean heat here's some good options.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7959_200307959

Last edited by djd99; 01-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Berserker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwohio View Post
Ohio winters are not nice to us sometimes. :
Thats so cute.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
bmwohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
Can you post the link to your thread. I tried a search and couldn't find anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVELY View Post
garage insulated good? i bought a new[ old stock motel heater/air conditioning combo] on CL last year for my 26 by 24 garage and it works great
insulated drywall, but no insualtion in the attic above....I was debating adding some R30 myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd99 View Post
I use a kerosene heater and hate it, it stinks period. I use mine to take the chill off, I put my forced air furnace on 60 and use the ready heater in my hoist room to make it more comfy to work. Last Saturday I was using it all day and got real light headed that evening. Had to walk outside quick before I passed out. Did I mention it stinks!

If you want good clean heat here's some good options.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7959_200307959
Did I mention I was trying to stay around $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Thats so cute.
I know, I know, I grew up in Chicago, Ohio winters are nothing.....it's my friends that come over, and so I don't have to wear 5 layers while I'm working on the car
bmwohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
kywildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVELY View Post
I'd love to have one of these.......I've been looking but can't find one!!!
kywildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
pman1505

My brother got a propane heater its like item#173607 in northern tool website it works awsome. His came from Farm and Fleet. Also seen them at Minards.
pman1505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
fr0mastaj

I am on the same boat as you... not a real shop, but would like some warmth when occasionally working in there... Subscribing in hopes of some good suggestions.
fr0mastaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
rickairmedic

I guess I need to just keep a link to this in my Favorites since I seem to post it daily here lately . My garage is 21X28X9.5' and this little Dayton ( although somewhat above your stated range ) will more than do the job , wont stink and wont kill you from carbon monoxide .

http://www.drillspot.com/products/51...n_3VU36_Heater

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Gary S

Northern Tool has electric heaters in the price range you are looking for.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2121_200362121
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
LIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywildcat View Post
I'd love to have one of these.......I've been looking but can't find one!!!
you might check with some demolition co. or hotel builders in your area--alot of these get took out and replaced with HIGH EFFICIENCY units--mine was about 15 years old but still in the box---i really like it and no fumes and very quiet

i have 6 inch insulation in the walls and 12 inches in the attic space[ by the way i got it all used out of i garage i tore down and built a new one for a man] same place my 80 gallon craftsman compressor/ body tools/ and 7 x 10 trailer came from--we did some trading on some extras he wanted done
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
John in OH

For a 2 car garage that is reasonably "tight", a kerosene heater works fine. I use an upright convection style ... a Toyostove, if I recall correctly. Does it stink? Not really, although there is a scent of kerosene when it is operating. I will agree that if the flame is not adjusted properly or if you let it run out of fuel then it will smoke and then it does really stink! Or if you don't use top grade kerosene it will smell worse, but I use good grade fuel and if I properly adjust the flame I can work out there all day with no ill effects. However, some folks may be more sensitive than others to the scent. They are also pretty economical as it will burn for 12 hrs or more and use only 1 to 1.5 gal of kerosene at about $3.70/gal.

The downside is it takes 1 to 2 hours to warm up the garage (from 40 F to 55-60F). I sometimes use a small oscillating desk fan to circulate the air and that seems to help warm the air faster. Or if I'm in a hurry to warm up the garage I also fire up a small 120v electric heater (about 1300w) ... it is what is usually called a "milk house" style heater. After about an 30-45 min. I usually shut off the electric heater and the kerosene heater carries on from there. Often by the time I shut off the kerosene heater in the evening the garage is up to +70F.

I have heard some folks say that they have used a kerosene heater in their house during power outages and have had no problems ... but I've never done that myself.
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

I got the Mr Heater MH18B Portable "Big Buddy" Heater from Amazon. It was $110, and heats my uninsulated garage great.

The caveat: I live in Southern California. So, for reference: it's an 18,000 BTU heater.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I got the Mr Heater MH18B Portable "Big Buddy" Heater from Amazon. It was $110, and heats my uninsulated garage great.

The caveat: I live in Southern California. So, for reference: it's an 18,000 BTU heater.

Jack didnt I see a post here yesterday that it was 82* in LA . How hot are ya tryin to get that garage 90-95* .

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Aspen RT

[QUOTE=djd99;1294022]I use a kerosene heater and hate it, it stinks period. I use mine to take the chill off, I put my forced air furnace on 60 and use the ready heater in my hoist room to make it more comfy to work. Last Saturday I was using it all day and got real light headed that evening. Had to walk outside quick before I passed out. Did I mention it stinks!

I agree... I had been using a forced air kerosene heater for years, but last time I used it, it really stunk up the garage and everything in it, including me. I went to the local Tractor Supply and got a Master brand propane heater(50,000 BTU) and I love it! It was only 99.00.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
LIVELY

main trouble with ALOT of propane/ kerosene heaters--people put them on the floor/ work on something with fuel involved and open flame--BANG-BOOM
I FIXED ALOT OF BURN OUT GARAGES AND HOUSES
it is just a thought
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
V-10 Killer

Another possibility depending on how much floor space you want to give up. I used a downdraft house furnace out of a manufactured home (I actually traded an old refrigerator for mine). Very easy to duct, and can occasionally be found cheap.

"Up until the 20th century, advancement of civilization was defined by the strongest among us.
Now, it appears its going to be defined by the weakest among us."
V-10 Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
Berserker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwohio View Post
I know, I know, I grew up in Chicago, Ohio winters are nothing.....it's my friends that come over, and so I don't have to wear 5 layers while I'm working on the car
Just screwing with you. Its good to be warm.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #20
richashley

I live near Akron, so I feel your pain. In my detached 24x26 with some insulation I use a 220 volt electric heater that works very well in all but the coldest weather. When it's really bad, I help it out with my Big Buddy propane heater. No problem with fumes, especially since it normally only has to run 20 to 30 minutes before the electric heater can handle things by itself. In the attached 20x20 (only insulated ceiling), the 220 is great all alone. My experience with 110 volt heaters is that they are almost worthless in a garage.
richashley is offline   Reply With Quote