Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
pl_silverado

Default New Holland Tools, made by Snap-on ?

So guys, i just won a set of wrenches on eBay made by New Holland, which are supposed to be rebranded Snap-on's.
Has anyone heard of these?

Heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150107753591

Could anyone shed some light on these before i dish out and pay for them.
pl_silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default Re: New Holland Tools, made by Snap-on ?

...subscribed...

I've been wondering the same thing.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Blacknwhitepit

Interesting question.

I have no answer to your question, but only more questions.

Their stamps do look like Snap on Stamps (Kinda like old USA Made Kobalts when Williams made them).

What I am wondering is where they are made, the Made in USA/USA stamp is noticibly absent on the actual tools. Their point of orgin is not even mentioned by the seller.

Since Snap on does own BAHCO, I wonder if they are being made by them. Quite a shell game tool companies can play. In the end, if the parent company is Snap on, a seller will say "MADE BY SNAP ON" simply for the goodwill.

Not saying this is for sure, but unless I was near a New Holland Dealer, I would not buy them. I don't even know where one is near me, in case I broke one.

I can always get my Craftsman, Snap on, K-D and MAC (When I can run the daler down) replaced very easily.

A set of 9 polished Craftsman regularly runs $59.00. When 11 pc of new holland are shipped to you for $86.00; I don't know if the value holds true.

If Snappy were to warranty them, I would definetely buy some myself.

All this being said though, they do look nice.

-BWP

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 04-04-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Blacknwhitepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
MarkH

Had a quick look a few months ago. Again did not see a made in the USA stamp or any stamp of made where. It was at a small implement dealer that did not have much in stock. My first thoughts looking at them was this a repeat of when Kobalt was made by Williams or maybe even one of the other companies that Snap on owned, BAHCO also crossed my mind.

New Holland is one of the brands sold after the merger between Case IH and Fiat which earlier bought out Ford tractor, but not long term rights to the name so they use the New Holland name which had even earlier merged with Ford Tractor. So you will need to be near where they have dealers. It is usually the Ag dealers (blue tractors or red and yellow machines out in front) who have tools vs the construction equipment dealers (yellow to yellowish brown machines out front). So unless you are in a rural enough area to have a dealer they may be hard to find. Most of the dealers I have been have not stocked the whole line of tools, it was usually just the common ones they could sell when someone came in for parts. Bigger implements are more likely to stock the whole line.

At least this is less frustrating than the "will Snap On to a rail" Ebay search.
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
pl_silverado

I can assure you Snap On doesn't advertise that they make New Holland
Tools. Snap On handles 100% of the New Holland tool program all the
tools
come directly from Snap On. There are only about 3 New Holland dealers
selling the tools on e-bay. You can call any New Holland dealer in the
United States or the world and they will tell you the same thing if
they
participate in the program.

Dale Render

Thats the reply i got from the seller. Im gonna pick the set up, as i cant pass up $ 86 for this. Snappy equivalent set is over $ 300.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Blacknwhitepit

Smile Re: New Holland Tools, made by Snap-on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3transporter
I can assure you Snap On doesn't advertise that they make New Holland
Tools. Snap On handles 100% of the New Holland tool program all the
tools
come directly from Snap On. There are only about 3 New Holland dealers
selling the tools on e-bay. You can call any New Holland dealer in the
United States or the world and they will tell you the same thing if
they
participate in the program.

Dale Render

Thats the reply i got from the seller. Im gonna pick the set up, as i cant pass up $ 86 for this. Snappy equivalent set is over $ 300.
Well, The seller did not lie at all. I'm sure Snap on does not advertise this. They probably do handle 100% of their tool program, and I'm sure they come from Snap on (but at what point do the tools come to Snap On). Snap on most likely does use its vast distribution network to get their tools out....... But what does this all really say?

Anyway

Good luck to you.

-BWP

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 04-04-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
pl_silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknwhitepit
Well, The seller did not lie at all. I'm sure Snap on does not advertise this. They probably do handle 100% of their tool program, and I'm sure they come from Snap on (but at what point do the tools come to Snap On). Snap on most likely does use its vast distribution network to get their tools out....... But what does this all really say?

Anyway

Good luck to you.

-BWP
No idea. I emailed him and asked about warranty. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
chavist93

Quote:
Could anyone shed some light on these before i dish out and pay for them.

If you already won them why would you not pay for them
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
pl_silverado

Well the set is on the way. I will post some pics when i get them and what i think of em. Hopefully they will not disappoint.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavist93
If you already won them why would you not pay for them
I wondered that too. Just seems a little backwards to me, asking about the quality of wrenches AFTER you bought them.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
pl_silverado

^^ It was more curiosity than anything. I needed a good set of SAE Wrenches anyways, and craftsman was outta the question.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
-lecroix-
Banned

You buy something, sight unseen, from an online auction site. You're not sure of the quality or even IF it can be returned after a failure.

Yet craftsman is out of the question?

I don't get it ...
-lecroix- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
martell06

i checked out the selling prices of previous listing from that seller and a set of 1/2" shallow impact sockets goes for about $41. might have to try them for that price.
martell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

I wouldn't worry about those wrenches. They will probably do everything you need and more. If it was me, I woulda just bought Craftsman though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
pl_silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lecroix-
You buy something, sight unseen, from an online auction site. You're not sure of the quality or even IF it can be returned after a failure.

Yet craftsman is out of the question?

I don't get it ...
Craftsman quality has gone downhill over the years. I still have some old old craftsman tools that my dad bought years ago and they do hold up, but i do not like the new stuff..

No offense to any of the craftsman fanboys out there. I like my Snap-on stuff, im willing to try new brands once, so thats why i decided to try these wrenches. If they are made by Snap-on, great, if not, the'll probably still suit me just fine. For the amount of usage my SAE wrenches get, these will still probably outlast me, or last long enough until i dish out for a real Snap-on set.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #16
KingPerformance

Quote:
Craftsman quality has gone downhill over the years. I still have some old old craftsman tools that my dad bought years ago and they do hold up, but i do not like the new stuff..

No offense to any of the craftsman fanboys out there. I like my Snap-on stuff, im willing to try new brands once, so thats why i decided to try these wrenches. If they are made by Snap-on, great, if not, the'll probably still suit me just fine. For the amount of usage my SAE wrenches get, these will still probably outlast me, or last long enough until i dish out for a real Snap-on set.

They look similar to blue point wrenches. And I agree with the craftsman comment.
Autronic, EFI Live, Haltech, Hondata, Magneti Marelli, MoTeC, M&W, Pantera EFI, SC Tuner
KingPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
Blacknwhitepit

Here is something else to consider.

If you like things to say "Made by Snap on" but not "really" made by Snap on; these are right up your alley. The seller at least says they are made by Williams, and they are USA made.

Interestingly, the seller also says they are warrantied by your Snap on guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8344&rd=1&rd=1

P.S. IMHO The quality of Craftsman tools may be declining, but I have seen no such decline in their professional line of wrenches.

-BWP

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 04-07-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:

P.S. IMHO The quality of Craftsman tools may be declining, but I have seen no such decline in their professional line of wrenches.

-BWP
Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
toolfreak

Quote:

-BWP
I have to agree about the quality of Craftsman pro wrenches. I have them and use them everyday with nu complaints.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
MarkH

3 comments actually.

1st sourced by Snap On Corporation does not mean the Snap On brand they have multiple brands. As a farmer we seldom ever looked at Snap On due to price, except for our main shop. We did use Snap On Corporation products though. So I know I just restated what others said, but on E-Bay it is buyer beware for these things.

Our local New Holland dealer is small, so some of what I have seen for sale after this thread started, I have not seen at our dealer. This means it would take some time for a replacement to be shipped to me. I am rural so, at least we have dealers, for other places if you buy these at a disposable price you will be OK vs thinking of the at times flawed Snap On replacement method and warranty.

On Craftsman. I had a great converstation with a retired friend a couple of days ago. He stated he had bought a Craftsman set when he left the military and was still using it. He told me what he paid, we translated the value of what he paid into today's dollars. Today's value of the dollars he spent was over $1,500 and possibly up to $1700. We then looked through my catalog and found the set most similar to what he had. It was regularly priced at $499 and I have seen it on sale at $425.

That is why regular Craftsman has changed to stay in the serious DIY market vs the serious DIY and professional market they were in. Additionally that is why they have Craftsman Pro which competes at a price just under what the old Craftsman used to be and is targetted at a market closer to what they used to sell to. The Craftsman Pro version of what he had purchased was around $1,000.

So given those figures and what I heard from many people who bought in the period of Craftsman quality everyone is talking about, Craftsman was not as affordable as they are today. They as I have been told were considered EXPENSIVE, though not the exhorbatant price of tool truck tools at that time.

So in country speak most Craftsman hand tools are a damm good deal especially for the serious DIYer. We use them along with Wright and Proto on the farms. We can afford to park tools on each machine.
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote