Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
HonkyTonkMan

Default Montezuma 72" Elite box with Hutch Review

Based on the reviews of Montezuma boxes on this site, I took the plunge and recently purchased the 72" Elite series box with a hutch.

I had searched for a Matco 7525 series box with a hutch on Craig's List and on the internet for many months, but didn't find anything I wanted to pull the trigger on. I wanted the hutch because I like being able to hang stuff on the hutch walls, put stuff on the roof of the hutch, and I like being able to shut the hutch door and leave work in a hurry if I have to without spending 10 minutes shoving all my tools into the drawers.

I will be using this box 10 hours a day in a professional setting. My previous box was a 52" wide Craftsman chest. Although the Craftsman was a pretty good box for the money, mine was just slap full and it was time to upgrade to the Montezuma and retire the Craftsman to my home garage.

The first thing I noticed about the Montezuma when it arrived was how well it was crated. It takes a while to uncrate and inspect it because it's so tightly packed and well sealed.

After getting the box uncrated and getting the drawers open, it was obvious that it was a professional-grade box. I have checked out my coworkers' Snap On and Matco boxes, and the Montezuma Elite can go toe to toe with those boxes.

The steel construction of the box feels very durable. The drawer slides are very stout. The more weight you put in the drawers, the smoother the drawer slides feel. The drawer layout is nice, and the 72" Elite box comes with a locking drawer for your personal stuff that you can lock by itself while the other drawers remain open. This is nice. I wish the personal drawer had a metal plate covering it to use as a pull-out writing surface like Matcos do, but oh well.

The drawers do not have Grip-Latch like my Craftsman. They have an indentation that lets you feel when the drawer is seated. The drawers do take a firm effort to get open and fully closed. However, the box is still new and not broken in yet, and the box came with an extra bag of drawer "stops" or "bumpers" to install on the rail that are supposed to provide a softer indentation feel as you open and close the drawers than the bumpers that come pre-installed on the box. I haven't tried them yet because I just bought the box and am still getting used to it.

The upgraded spring-loaded casters that I paid for are worth it. They seem very capable of holding a lot of weight and are not flimsy. They roll smoothly.

The paint isn't quite as "thick feeling" as my coworker's Matco box. It doesn't have that deep automotive-style look to it. I would compare the paint to the same approximate quality as a Craftsman, if not slightly better.

I love the size of this box. 72" and 30" deep is a great size. A definite upgrade from my 52" wide Craftsman, with acres of room. When you pull the drawers out, the 30" deep feature really feels like you've got room to burn and the drawer just keeps coming out. Very nice. No regrets about going this big. I'm a professional technician with a wide variety of tools, and I have a lot of room to grow. I bought this box because I wanted it to be the last one I have to buy for the rest of my career.

The stainless steel work surface is nice, too. It has a tiny "checkerboard" finish to it, which may trap a little dirt compared to a completely smooth finish top. I would have preferred a smooth finish top, but the individual "checks" in the checkered top finish are only about 1 millimeter wide apiece, so they're tiny. Not really a big deal.

As for the hutch, I love it and have no regrets about buying it. It really frees up some drawers if you hang stuff on the walls of the hutch. The hutch also comes with a shelf approximately 6"-7" deep, and threaded inserts up and down the side walls for you to adjust the shelf to about 4 different levels.

The top of the hutch comes with 4 threaded inserts to install eye bolts to lift the hutch. Since I want to run a steel cable through the eye bolts to keep my tools on top secure, I just left them in and used red Loctite to help secure the included eye bolts.

The door of the hutch has a nice feel to it as you pull it out and let it swing down. It feels stout.

The locks are also secure. It feels strong when you close the locks. Yanking on the drawers with the locks closed, the box feels secure, and not flimsy like my Craftsman.

My experience dealing with Shannon at StrictlyToolBoxes.com was a good one. He was patient with me as he answered all of my questions. The box arrived via FedEx as stated. Communication with Shannon was good while I was waiting on the box. The only suggestion I have for the company is to get more up-close, detailed pictures, and even video, of what the tool boxes look like on their Web site. This would save a lot of back and forth via e-mail asking specific questions.

IN CONCLUSION: This box makes my work days easier, and I'm very glad I bought it. I really didn't want to drop this much money on a tool box, and this purchase required a lot of careful consideration, but compared to the other brands out there, I saved thousands so I'm happy. The Montezuma represents a great value. I don't regret not getting a Matco or Snap-On, and my coworkers who have those brand of boxes were impressed with my Montezuma. If you're a professional tech and you want to get a huge, pro-grade box without the gigantic price tag, definitely put the Montezuma Elite 72" series on your list of "must see" boxes before you buy.

Now that I own one and have used it at work, I feel like if you see a Montezuma in person and it doesn't impress you, then you're either a tool snob, or you abuse tool boxes and expect a tool box to be literally bomb-proof.

P.S. The 48" fluorescent shop light in the hutch is not included. I added it. It works great and adds a lot of light. The hutch has 4 grommet holes for you to route charger cables, etc. through. One at each corner of the back wall. Very handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (136.5 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1228.jpg (135.4 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (144.1 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1231.jpg (137.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1235.jpg (115.8 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 01-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.
HonkyTonkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
motoguy

Default Re: Montezuma 72" Elite box with Hutch Review

Great review. Thanks! Off to the site to see what they have to offer.
motoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
eyeboltman

Nice write up without all the BS some people add !!Now I have to check .it out As my daughter didn't get me my new Snap On , MR. Big box I wanted?!? Kids %^$(*~!&(# Thanks . eyeboltman
eyeboltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
TheDukeofDeere

Good writeup. I really like that box with the hutch. I wish I would have known about toolboxes by Extreme and Montezuma before I bought my Craftsman 52" bottom and 41" top.

I could have gotten away with just the 72" bottom and it would have been the first and last box I would have bought.

Ohh well, hope the box treats you well!!
TheDukeofDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Goldboattail455

Thank you for the review. Much appreciated. I'm strongly considering buying a Montezuma box from Strictlytoolboxes. I was not aware there was a hutch offered. Now I'm excited!
Goldboattail455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
schloe

Nice box! I'm considering the same setup, I just wish it came in more colors besides black and blue. Red would be nice.
schloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Displaced Hokie

Very cool box, and very nice review. Thanks!

Buy the best you can and upgrade as needed. USA if possible. To heck with tool snobs!

Displaced Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
CamarosRus

I'm not pleased to read that the paint quality is less MATCO or Snap-On...........

If any other MONTEZUMA owner has a different perspective, please share.

I would like to order a ORANGE or Extreme Green box with more/additonal drawers, but it doesnt fit Shannons business model.
ILWU Longshore member
Viet-Nam 68'/69'
Collect/Restore/Judge
69'/70' Camaros

CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
jfull

I have a 72" blue montezuma box. I think it is far better than any craftsman I have ever seen, but not as good as a used snapon you couLd get for the same price, but smaller. If I were to do over, I'd hold out for a good used snapon or Mac. On a Monte box, you can see the spot welds on the drawer fronts. As in you can see all the spot welds. I tried calling after i bought mu box, but didnt get any response from them, even sent emails, no response after. I think thats why there are no close up pictures, it would show the welds, and decrease sales. But again, monte beats any cman i've ever seen. A 72" box is huge, and it is extremely heavy to push around, so if you do go with it, pay to get the better wheels. Also the "silver handles are paint, not act silver handles. Also, the drawer glides don't stay shut as well as I would have liked. Mine are broken in, and a few drawers have a tendency to roll out on their own, even though they were firmly pushed in all the way. So in summary, good huge box for good price, but if you look around for used, you can do lots better with a snap or Mac box.

Last edited by jfull; 02-03-2011 at 09:14 PM.
jfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
CamarosRus

Nice to hear the TRUTH about products.............

Fact of the matter is that, it may be a "better deal" buying used Snap On, MATCO or MAC (Top of the line models) than buying new Montezuma.

Your value system will have decide upon that ????????

I'm very cosmetically happy with my KRL1022, but not enough sq inches with the drawer configuration.

On the other hand my STANLEY VIDMAR double wide has a ton of sq inches and drawers, but is plain jane with NO BLING................
ILWU Longshore member
Viet-Nam 68'/69'
Collect/Restore/Judge
69'/70' Camaros

CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
onelochevy

Thanks for the review. I've been eyeing a 56" Montezuma box for my garage, but have never had any hands on experience with one.
onelochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
HonkyTonkMan

I would have preferred a Snap-On royal blue color, but the only blue available was a powder blue, or Richard Petty stock car type blue. So I went with the black.

I have stuck magnets and magnetic plates all over the inside of my hutch since the last write up, and it's very handy to have often-used tools sticking on the walls, ready to easily grab. Frees up more drawer space, too.

Another thing I want to mention is that if you are about 6' 3" like me, then you will wish the hutch door retracted into the roof about 2-3" more, so it sits flush with the rest of the body of the hutch. The door sticks out a little bit, and I'm wondering how long it'll be before I bash my head on the corner of the door. If you're shorter, this probably won't be a concern.

As far as moving the box, yes, it is a fiasco. I would go so far to say that if I changed shops, I would probably take my Craftsman in for the first few weeks, to make sure I liked the shop, before going through the hassle of moving the Montezuma, only to move it again in a few weeks if the shop wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

If anybody owns Snap On's gigantic "Mr. Big" box that is like 8-9 feet long, I cannot imagine what a pain THAT would be.

Motorcycle ratchet straps won't cut it- you will need 2"-3" wide ratchet straps and at least 2 other guys to help you. Forget about trying to push it up a ramp into a heavy duty pickup- just find a good tow truck driver with a flat bed and pay the guy. She's a big girl and does not want to stop rolling easily once she gets started. As it was being winched down off the flat bed, I wanted to break a champagne bottle on one of the corners of the box to christen it like a ship, haha.

Another thing is that the instructions are written in Engrish by someone Chinese, probably. When we mounted the hutch, the instructions said to remove the top two drawers, but you don't have to do that. Also, the bolts that hold the hutch to the lower chest are about 5mm too short. They come with washers, and when you use the washers, the threads just barely grab. You're already trying to tighten the bolt in a limited-access hole, so having short bolts was an exercise in frustration that resulted in a quick trip to Lowe's for longer bolts. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but worth mentioning.

After putting in my first work week with this box, I still stand by my decision and regret nothing. I still say the Montezuma is a pro-quality box that can go up against Matco and Snap-On. Sure, maybe if you put all three brands in a car crusher, the Montezuma would crumble first, but how the box fared in ridiculous marketing stunts wasn't a concern of mine. Lasting decades and having plenty of room WAS a concern, and I give the Montezuma a passing grade on both of those counts. It's a great value.

The width and depth of this box is still a stunner for everybody who comes to look at it. The deep drawers, the wide stance and the hutch really turn my place at work into a workstation, whereas before, I just kind of had a little hole that I'd carved out with stuff scattered here and there.

Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 02-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.
HonkyTonkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
global72

Send a message via Yahoo to global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
I'm not pleased to read that the paint quality is less MATCO or Snap-On...........

If any other MONTEZUMA owner has a different perspective, please share.

I would like to order a ORANGE or Extreme Green box with more/additonal drawers, but it doesnt fit Shannons business model.
We do custom boxes on a very regular basis. With custom colors it does take time because we cannot produce just 1 box. I need to custom paint the box with a stock order.

www.StrictlyToolBoxes.com
888-289-1952

Last edited by global72; 02-13-2011 at 06:50 PM.
global72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfull View Post
The drawer glides don't stay shut as well as I would have liked. Mine are broken in, and a few drawers have a tendency to roll out on their own

There are 3 levels of stiffness for detents. On heavier drawers you can change and use a much heavier detent. This will immediately solve your problem.

Give me a call 888-289-1952 I will send you some.

888-289-1952
Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfull View Post
On a Monte box, you can see the spot welds on the drawer fronts. As in you can see all the spot welds. I tried calling after i bought mu box, but didnt get any response from them, even sent emails, no response after. I think thats why there are no close up pictures, it would show the welds, and decrease sales. But again, monte beats any cman i've ever seen.

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the fit and finish of your Montezuma box. Currently StrictlyToolBoxes.com only has a few close up images on its web site. We have very recently finished our new photo booth. Our goal is to have a complete photo gallery if all products including close up of different features. We hope that by adding 20+ images per box along with some short videos it will help enable people to make the most informed decision possible.

888-289-1952
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
noonehas

Ya but can you park a dump truck on 6 of them? lol, But really can you?
noonehas is offline   Reply With Quote