Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
ctfortner

Default Designing a lean-to on back of shop

I know yall will have some good ideas, so please share. I need to get the "shed" junk out of my shop, lawn mowers, edger, pressure washer, tillers, wheel barrows, etc... I thought about building a shed, but think I could get more creative and add on to the back of my shop.

The biggest concerns I have are:

• What to use for the floor? Wood, dirt, gravel, concrete?
  • It MUST look nice/match on the end where its visible from the house or the wife will have a fit! Want it to look like it was always there.
  • What type of door(s) to use? Roll up, barn style?
  • How deep, tall, wide should I go?
  • Would I need to remove the brick thats on there now to do this?
  • I want it completely enclosed/locked and leakfree, as it will have all my power toys in it.
The shop is 24' wide. I just dont know the best way to add on to it and make it look "right". Like how the roof should look, should I go end to end?

If it makes any difference, the back wall consists of a stairway to the upstairs, a small closet, and a small bathroom.

Last edited by ctfortner; 01-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
5lima30

Default Re: Designing a lean-to on back of shop

I have already started planning a lean-to off the back of my still under construction garage. It will probably be 10'x16 ' with a gravel floor. Mine is going to house my Mitsubishi tractor and rototiller. It will be partially enclosed on (3) sides. At my last house I had a similar lean-to with a gravel floor that worked very well. YMMV.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Shadrack

Here is what I done on the side of my garage. Although, you could do the same thing on the back, and just make you a small driveway around back. It's perfect for storing the car and extra set of wheels that I don't use that often.
It measures 10.5'x21'. I used 4" of reinforced 4000psi concrete, 2x4 walls, R-13 insulation, metal roofing, four shop lights, 5mm utility plywood on the bottom, 1/4" pegboard up top, 8x6.5' Wayne Dalton Garage Door from Lowes.

Shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Colonial Cobra

Exactly what I did on the back of mine. 6' x 28', 8' high. Three sets of barn doors and one 36" entry door. Plan to use the end as a compressor room eventually. I have a 4" concrete floor in mine.
I should have done it years ago. It freed up so much garage space.

One 8' section (one set of barn doors) is for lawn and garden items. Riding mower, Power washer and generator in the back beside mower, push mower in front of those. Three 4' x 8' shelves start right above riding mower for chainsaws, sprayers, and anything else lawn related.

Next section has four wheeler, kids elec cart, go cart. and tons of other stuff.

The list goes on and on. You wont regret the addition.

A few pictures of mine are in the link below. I'll try to get some of it finished.

Factory Five Racing, Cobra. FFR2573
Factory Five Racing, Daytona Coupe. FFR 3265CP
1967 Mustang GTA Coupe 289 HIPO C-4 Auto
1967 Mustang Coupe 5.0 EFI AOD
1969 Mustang Fastback 351W C-6 Auto
1984 M923 AM General 6x6 Cargo Truck

Garage Addition Project
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=28390

Last edited by Colonial Cobra; 01-31-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Colonial Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
ctfortner

Sounds good. I do want it to be completely enclosed, so leanto may be the wrong word. I want to lock it up so noone gets my toys.

Looks nice shadrack, would love to see a pic or 2 from the outside.

Sounds nice Colonial. I know I wont regret it. I have plenty of room, more so than money , but was thinking about making it deep enough for a roll up garage door. I think it would be ideal. Although the barn doors provide more opening to move things in and out I would imagine.

Would love to see pics of it! Will help me see how it would look and how you designed it.

Last edited by ctfortner; 01-31-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Colonial Cobra

Here's a few pics of it in process.

Garage Addition Project
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Colonial Cobra

I may change mine to rool up doors in the future. I just helped my B.I.L. install one of these on his shed and it's much nicer than I exspected for the $$$

http://www.rollupdoorsdirect.com/

Garage Addition Project
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
thrifty bill

Send a message via ICQ to thrifty bill

I would consider making one section access from the workshop only, and use that section as a tool room/parts room, or whatever.

+1 Gravel floor.

+1 Make a spot for your air compressor.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
ctfortner

Hey that looks great. Really helps me see what it would look like. I believe that would be wife approved. Good friend is a carpenter and he does most of this stuff for me. The killer will be the concrete, but definitely best long term I think. I need a concrete friend

I was considering an access door from main workshop to, would be handy. I have the air compressor in the closet on the backwall right now, moving it to the lean to would be even better, much less noise! if gravel would work ok I would be happy. I just wonder about washout and all that. I am on a fairly low spot and my shop has flooded a time or two in really bad rains.

Last edited by ctfortner; 01-31-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
bluesman2a

Did mine essentially like that, but it was open as just a cover for a couple of years first, I had the same wifely constraints. Mine wound up being something on the order of 10X39 or so. It houses a compressor room and a bathroom.

Full album:
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ew%20Addition/

Floorplan:

During:

This is the end of the 1st stage.

Bathroom slab prior to framing:

I don't have any more current pics, I have since gone through 3 more stages, poured concrete, closed it all in, sided it, and have a quasi-functional bathroom. I need to get some more current pics though.

Thoughts on some of your questions:

1) You will need to put wood bands up to secure your rafters with. On mine the top band could not exceed the floor joists of the second story. We started with that measurement and worked down from there.

2) You will most likely want a shallow roof to maximize height inside (see comment above). Mine is about a 12:3 pitch. This will work better with a metal roof. It's slightly more expensive, but it is easier for a novice to install it.

3) My approach isn't for everybody, but I planned it out in advance so I could build it over time and I am 100% debt free in getting it done. Takes longer, but more satisfying when it's done.

4) I would recommend a lockable man-door to the inside for moving stuff back and forth. Cut the opening before you pour concrete so the two slabs are perfectly flush for rolling things back and forth.

5) Also consider a roll-up door that follows the contour of the ceiling to get it up, out of the way. gives you more space to work in.

6) Last but certainly not least, while you have your exterior opened up, plan on a SEPARATE space you can put your compressor in and plumb the supply back into the shop. This will go a LONG way to making your shop more pleasant.
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Shocker

You can check out the first part of my lean to here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45328

I need to update it as I have now poured a slab and enclosed it. Made me some carriage house doors as well.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
ctfortner

Thanks again, great ideas and tips. Yalls projects came out great, look forward to doing something with mine. I wanted simple but yall have me thinking of a lot of different things now!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
chillrich

My requirements are for something to store bicycles, lawnmower, scrap and compressor(?). The base will be 2'x2' sidewalk blocks, will build 2x4 trusses and barn style door on front. Haven't decided but may finish with vinyl siding or grooved hardboard sealed and painted to match house. We have to make it possible to move because it is on top of services.
chillrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
pcutt

Given that the items you'd put in the shed are large and awkward, I'd design it to have easy access to each and every item. The roll-up door idea would by my preference. In my experience, if you have a small door, the item you want will be behind several others and require an exercise in juggling. Since you have control of the design, use this as an opportunity to design out hassles.
pcutt is offline   Reply With Quote