Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
alecmcmahon

Default Review: Whalen Industrial Rack Shelves ( From Costco )

In my quest for cheap groceries and whole sale products at my local costco I stumbled upon this gem.

Whalen Industrial Rack Shelves
( not currently listed on website )

At about $150 dollars I figure it'd be a nice addition to my garage, and sort out the massive clutter I've collected through out my garage floor through the winter.

It utilizes the ever beefy looking pallet rack system you've probably all seen before. To ends, and horizontal bars. Whalen claims that each shelf will hold 2,000 pounds. While im not sure i'd put that to the test - it sure did look sturdy.

Shelf Dimensions are: 77 in. width x 24 in. depth x 72 in. height

After dragging this into the house by myself we can start the assembly process ( the box weighs about 200 pounds, very hard lift - get a buddy- I didnt have one )

Everything was neatly packed and shipped.

To my unfinished messy garage:

The main hanger clips seemed a little undersized, but very sturdy. The steel is thick enough were it looks to be ok. I was used to seeing much larger ones having had assembled pallet racks in warehouses, etc

The welds are not full, Looks like it was just stich welded in some spots, I would much prefer it to be fully welded.

Welds on the end piece, better:

Another:

Picture of how the clips and the base ends meet together:

The shelf supports:

Fully assembled:

The wire shelves sit in such a way were they do not move around much at all, which is nice.

Loaded up with some of my crap:

Overall I am pretty satisfied with the system, it's sturdy enough to hold anything I can put on it. The wire shelves make it a little difficult to slide some items that have legs on it, they get hung up; A piece of Masonite onto of the wire shelves would probably fix this, but it's not really that big of an issue.

It comes with a nice powder coat black paint on it, held up fairly well while making up my mind where to put the shelves and taking them on and off.

Again, while probably easier as a two man job I was able to put the entire system together in about 30 minutes or so, and I didn't even read in the instructions!

-alec

Last edited by alecmcmahon; 01-31-2011 at 06:29 PM.
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Jeff

Default Re: Review: Whalen Industrial Rack Shelves ( From Costco )

Nice review. What are the dimensions?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
scott_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkin View Post
Nice review. What are the dimensions?
From the box in the first picture.... 77 in. width x 24 in. depth x 72 in. height
scott_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_one View Post
From the box in the first picture.... 77 in. width x 24 in. depth x 72 in. height
At least someone here has good eyes. Thanks!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
jayoldschool

I have the same ones. I bought two sets, so it actually makes three sets of shelves. YOu can see this configuration in the first pic. You use two of the sets of bars to connect the two sets. I don't need shelves at the bottom, I store things like compressor, rolling charger, generator, tires, etc, on the floor. Perfect for my space, and enough storage for everything I need.

Using a rubber mallet will help the assembly considerably.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
kornjulio

Am I the only one more intrigued by the background of the garage walls than the shelving unit ?
kornjulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
alecmcmahon

You mean my hand is not a hammer?!

I will probably be picking up a second one in the near future

Kornjulio,

Your probably referring to my " insulation " ... If that's what they are calling it.

The 50's must have been an interesting period, tin foil ,cardboard and old newspapers sufficed enough for efficient insulation.
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
larry_g

I also have this rack and it holds quite a bit more than the OP has on it. I have rolls of wire on one shelf and fittings on another.

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Vinko

I saw these too. I was thinking if I needed shelving, and hadn't already built it, this wouldn't be too bad an option.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Zick

I've got one of these but pick it up from Menards. They usually have them on sale for about ~$120.
It was cheaper than their Gorilla racks but you can tell it's not as strong as the gorilla racks.
But for the price it's pretty good and I don't have any complaints about it except that you cant just add on another section without buying another whole kit and then you have left over piece. The Gorilla racks are all sold individual pieces so you can customize it to your liking.
If I were to due it all over again, I'd just pay a little more and get the Gorilla.
Zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Old Moparz

These kind of shelving units are great, I have a similar set up, too.

Both Lowes & Home Depot carry this type of shelving unit for about the same price. Lowes however, does sell individual pieces, so you can add vertical sections, horizontal supports, & have a choice of depth of 18", 24" or 30" & either wire or particle board shelves. I went with wire shelves so I don't have an accumulation of sawdust or rodent droppings on mine.

"Eye contact is a great way to gauge the interest of the opposite sex. The only problem though, is that there's a fine line between eye contact & the blank stare of a mental patient."
Old Moparz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Zick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Moparz View Post
These kind of shelving units are great, I have a similar set up, too.

Both Lowes & Home Depot carry this type of shelving unit for about the same price. Lowes however, does sell individual pieces, so you can add vertical sections, horizontal supports, & have a choice of depth of 18", 24" or 30" & either wire or particle board shelves. I went with wire shelves so I don't have an accumulation of sawdust or rodent droppings on mine.
Really, didn't know Lowes sells individual pieces. Sweet, I'll have to make a trip down and check it out. Thanks
Wish our Menards carried the pieces.
Zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
csp

I've considered these in the past, but found a couple great deals on real pallet racking for a lot less than I would have spent on one set of these. Granted I didn't get the wire rack, but I have a lot of wood from projects that shelves were made of.
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Porcupine

I have seen these each time I go to Costco - purposely go down to where their garage/tool/storage section is to see what new items they have to sell me. I find the 24inch to deep, and wish they had models that were not so deep. My Dad has shelves on one side of his big garage and they are quite deep. Problem is, try to find a bottle or tube of something without having to spend 15 minutes looking behind other bottles and stuff. Seems more of a pain. Now, his were all made of plywood, whereas you can see through the Whalen shelf a bit. I read on here that you can get some 18 inches deep. I think when I make shelves for my small garage, I will go 16 inches deep at the very most.
Porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
banzaitoyota

I have the Lowes Version, They are great for the price
banzaitoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #16
NismoPlsr

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know if Costco still carries these shelves?

I bought some when this thread was created but i am not a regular Costco shopper so i don't know if they are still available.

Thanks.
NismoPlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
J Persons

Sams Club sells the same thing, but the brand is "Muscle Rack" for the same money. I've got three of them, the only fault is smaller items tend to fall through the grates.
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #18
lorne
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know if Costco still carries these shelves?

I bought some when this thread was created but i am not a regular Costco shopper so i don't know if they are still available.

Thanks.
They had them in January, We bought a couple for storing inventory (big desktop systems) on... Hopefully they still have them, because we've been meaning to go back for a couple more.
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
schwalby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I don't need shelves at the bottom, I store things like compressor, rolling charger, generator, tires, etc, on the floor. Perfect for my space, and enough storage for everything I need.
Have you seen any issue with this weakening the shelves? Thought is the legs may want to kick out with nothing holding them together at the bottom.
schwalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalby View Post
Have you seen any issue with this weakening the shelves? Thought is the legs may want to kick out with nothing holding them together at the bottom.
I have been using two of these Whalen units for roughly two years. The upper shelves have been used to store a number of things, including several steel automotive wheels (literally dozens), tires, miscellaneous hardware, and bodywork. I left the bottom shelf disassembled so that I could easily roll engines, transmissions, wheels/tires, etc. in and out of the lower space. Because I was concerned with the possibility of splaying, I used one of the horizontal shelving supports to join the two opposite legs closest the wall.

Plywood was employed above a couple of the wire surfaces to help distribute weight and to make it easier to place and remove items from the shelves.

I have had no problems, nor do I currently have any concerns, with the shelving units' integrity under the weight that they bear.
1941 is offline   Reply With Quote