Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
Techniker

Question Harbor Freight Warranty

I know the requirements for the Harbor Freight Warranty are that you have to have the original receipt and the packaging (at least I think those are the requirements). I somehow have managed to lose both. If I were to break something (which is a good possibility since I work as a tech), would it be possible to still get Harbor Freight to replace them under the Lifetime Warranty?

Does it depend on who is working that day/what kind of mood they are in? I have been less than impressed with HF employees- when I can manage to find one who speaks English, it's usually fractured Ingles and they know absolutely nothing of their warranty policy, much less about tools.

I know, I'm horribly irresponsible and I should have kept better track of the receipts and packaging, but that is the biggest shortcoming of HF to me. I think it's utterly ridiculous to expect customers to hold on to 400 packaging inserts and their various receipts for a warranty.

Thanks for the help,
Techniker
Techniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
tonydanzah

Default Re: Harbor Freight Warranty

you dont need the reciept
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
CD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydanzah View Post
you dont need the reciept
Correct!

You don't need the packaging or receipt.

All their hand tools with the Pittsburgh name stamped on them are warrantied for life.
CD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
Techniker

Really?! That's great news, everyone! Thank you!

-Techniker
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
BQuicksilver

Their warranty has become much more liberal over the past couple of years.
BQuicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Chuckw

Have they stopped using light sensitive ink on their receipts? i know if you don't store them in the dark the ink all fades to nothing.....Maybe the ink got too expensive
Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Techniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQuicksilver View Post
Their warranty has become much more liberal over the past couple of years.
So they do this even though the packaging says differently? I made my 3 hour drive to HF last night and the cashier told me the same thing that the other one did the last time I was there. You had to have the receipt. That and the packaging does say to keep the packaging (ridiculous) and the receipt (slightly less ridiculous, but still ridiculous) to warranty the product.

-Techniker
Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
chadster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckw View Post
Have they stopped using light sensitive ink on their receipts? i know if you don't store them in the dark the ink all fades to nothing.....Maybe the ink got too expensive
It's probably thermal paper. Lots of stores use thermal paper for their receipts.

Check out my thread in the classifieds for some great deals on some Genius Tool sets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254801
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Lightfoot

I guess it depends on the store. The HF here has exchanged many items for me without either the receipt or the packaging. Well not many, probably two or three that i can think of, but i've not had any problems switching them out. I just go to the register with item in hand, ask the cashier if these are still in the same location because i need to switch one out, and go get the new one- she/he takes the old one, i tell them i may want to look around for other items (leaves them with the impression i may spend more money) and i'll be back when i'm done. Never had a problem.

I know HF gets a lot of grief here, but i've not had any problems with them or their tools. The only thing i haven't been satisfied with is their sandpaper-it's about as tough as sand glued to a paper towel. For the price, i actually didn't expect much from it, so that's ok, i just don't buy it anymore. Other than that, i usually stop in there at least once a month, and usually end up buying something.

Just yesterday i bought one of their utility carts to hold my Lincoln 120v welder. The cart was on sale for $39 (reg price $59) and i am really surprised at how strong it is. Nice big hard rubber wheels (two swivel) with ball bearings. And it's red so it matches the welder like it was made just for it. Got another free flashlight (that makes about 6 of them- i have one in each car and each toolbox), and spent about an hour just looking around. I like the place.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 02-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
pipsters

My local one is very good, you don't need the packaging or receipt. However it is probably store dependent. I keep the packages but receipts as stated just fade away over time. Chances are if you are buying to use the product, it will either break right away or last a long time. So if it breaks right away you'll still have the receipt. I tend to view hand tools and HF tools in general as consumables so I would be replacing them anyway.

Also I think the packaging actually states you have to mail it in. Many people won't mail a $3-$10 product in as you will spend more in shipping than you would to just go buy a new product. Not to mention you are out the use of that product to begin with, and chances are you need another one ASAP as you were using it to work on something when it broke.

So basically I've come to view a warranty as a marketing gimmick.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Bull
Super Moderator

Where is John? He has a good deal of experience with this.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
NWphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniker View Post
I know the requirements for the Harbor Freight Warranty are that you have to have the original receipt and the packaging (at least I think those are the requirements). I somehow have managed to lose both. If I were to break something (which is a good possibility since I work as a tech), would it be possible to still get Harbor Freight to replace them under the Lifetime Warranty?

Does it depend on who is working that day/what kind of mood they are in? I have been less than impressed with HF employees- when I can manage to find one who speaks English, it's usually fractured Ingles and they know absolutely nothing of their warranty policy, much less about tools.

I know, I'm horribly irresponsible and I should have kept better track of the receipts and packaging, but that is the biggest shortcoming of HF to me. I think it's utterly ridiculous to expect customers to hold on to 400 packaging inserts and their various receipts for a warranty.

Thanks for the help,
Techniker
Are you talking hand tool or power tool? All of the "Pittsburgh" hand tools are extremely easy to warranty. The power tools have a limited and warranty and will usually require a receipt.
NWphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWphotog View Post
Are you talking hand tool or power tool? All of the "Pittsburgh" hand tools are extremely easy to warranty. The power tools have a limited and warranty and will usually require a receipt.
I hadn't thought about that. The items i've switched out have all been hand tools, nothing electronic. The only power tool i've ever bought there is an oscillating multi-tool and it works great. But what you said makes sense
Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
landbruiser1

I had to warranty my go through ratchet yesterday due to the selector broke. The manager wanted me to go and get the entire set and just exchange kit for kit. I told him that I didnt want to drive home and then back. he said fine, with a aditude and gave me my new ratchet.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
MechanicNamedJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Where is John? He has a good deal of experience with this.
I'm here...

Ok, HF must have changed their policy, my store did not require a receipt in the past to warranty hand tools, but now they do.

You need to call corporate, and tell them your issue, they will then state that you don't need a receipt.

Call them in the store if you have to.

Corporate will also just send you the replacement in the mail if you wish.

I think this a tactic HF is using; tell the stores you need receipt and corporate will play dumb, acting as if nothing with their policy has changed. I don't know??? If a small percentage agree to this and just buy the replacement, they make money, but I think a lot of people may just be turned off by HF after all of this.

Call this number 800 444-3353
Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Techniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I hadn't thought about that. The items i've switched out have all been hand tools, nothing electronic. The only power tool i've ever bought there is an oscillating multi-tool and it works great. But what you said makes sense
Hand tools. Electronic and power tool warranties everywhere are nearly worthless. That's why you buy the high end on those so that there are parts to bother rebuilding it with.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
fatboyf150

Send a message via Yahoo to fatboyf150

Company policy has always been that you must have your receipt when doing a exchange. It has just been so lax in every store that all the customers have been use to just taking it in and getting it swapped out. Back when the coupon policy changed, they also started inforcing the receipt rule. Hell, we even had to sign that we understand the policy. If you go in the store, it should be posted on the wall about returns. In our store, it's no receipt, no return. Unless, someone can remember that customer buying that product from us.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
ajchien

Are we talking return or warranty?
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchien View Post
W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y

Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools
Harbor Freight Tools Co. makes every effort to assure that our products meet high quality and durability standards and warrants to the original purchaser that this product is free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. This warranty does not apply to damage due (directly or indirectly) to misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, repairs, alterations outside our facilities or to lack of maintenance. We shall in no event be liable for death, injuries to persons or property or for incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages arising from the use of our product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
To take advantage of this warranty, the product or part must be returned to us with transportation charges prepaid. Proof of purchase date, and an explanation of the complaint must accompany the merchandise. If our inspection verifies the defect, we will either repair, or replace the product at our election or we may elect to refund the purchase price if we cannot readily and quickly provide you with a replacement. We will return repaired products at our expense, but if we determine there is no defect, or that the defect resulted from causes not within the scope or our warranty, then you must bear the cost of storing, and returning the product. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

Youíve got to be able to trust the hand tools you work with, and thatís why Harbor Freightís lifetime tool warranty for hand tools gives you the peace of mind to go ahead and order all the hand tools you need from us. This Harbor Freight Warranty is one of the strongest in the business, and one of the main reasons for millions of satisfied customers!

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
fatboyf150

Send a message via Yahoo to fatboyf150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchien View Post
goes for both.

Tags
harbor freight, harbor freight warranty