Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
IndyGarage

Default need ideas - how to get thick ice off driveway

So, this morning I started attacking the ice on my driveway. It's about 18" thick in front of the garage door and about 6" over the rest, and slick as glass - and it's not flat either - It has slow rollers all over.

My driveway is about 300 feet long.

So I bought a tile breaker for my Hilti hammer and it breaks it up into chunks - but I can't move the stuff. The chunks weigh about 30-50 lbs each and I'm worn out with about 20 shovelfuls. I can't get to my wheelbarrow, because it's stuck behind my house.

Now it's snowing like crazy so you can hardly see the slick spots. You fall down instantly if you try to walk on it.

I put 80 lbs of salt on it and it melted about a 12 inch diameter circle. No matter that it doesn't work because there's no salt within 300 miles. I got my red devil propane torch and it hardly touched it.

I tried to rent a bobcat or tractor - no luck. I"m about ready to buy one to move this stuff.

Any ideas?
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Boiler

Default Re: need ideas - how to get thick ice off driveway

wait until you can get a bobcat or a tractor with a loader to do it for you, or kep working on it by hand. I'm leaving mine alone, it can melt for the next 4 months...

I did carve out the end 12 feet where the plow piled me up like a curb of ice 10" tall. I just used my square end shovel, similar to a spade but flat with a flat end, & picked up the bigger chunks by hand. My yard looks like someone broke up a concrete pad and piled it in my yard.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
LEVE

Back in '85 I visited one of the Wife's relatives in Wisconsin. They had 2" of ice on there uphill driveway. I could hardly stand on the stuff, let alone park the car. On the way back to Seattle I must have bad mouthed that relative for hours. I never understood how hard it was to remove ice till I found myself living in Wisconsin 6 years later.

I'd pour salt in small areas around the driveway. I'd also pour a grid on the ice. That would eat holes in the ice... Then I could get an ice buster into the hole and lift up. The salt would waken the ice at the grid lines. If I was lucky the ice would break at the grid lines. Then I'd just start going from hole to hole to remove the stuff.

I've also used a snow-blower to gouge the stuff and weaken it, but that's tough on the snow-blower. I've used a rider lawn-mower with blades that I drilled and installed sharpened bolt into. Then I'd ride over the ice, lower the blade and scrape the stuff away. That was successful, but I never knew how far to lower the blade without tearing up the ground.

Yep, it's the hardest work I've ever done. I don't wish ice on anyone, anywhere, anytime... It's a hard lesson to learn that if you're going to get ice, best lay in a supply of salt and not be afraid to use it liberally.
LEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
crewchief888

chainsaw?

you could be the envy of the neigborhood with the only ice sculptures in the driveway.

good luck trying to find a bobcat or tractor for rent, and even for sale.

everything that runs has been rented around here.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
5lima30

What about one of those large handheld turbo torches that hook to a 20# propane cylinder? I just got one last week ar HF haven't had a chance to tery it yet.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
IndyGarage

I actually thought about the chainsaw before I remembered the hammer that I bought a few weeks ago. It works good, however you are on your knees.

I gotta get at least the parking area of the driveway done, so nobody has a bad fall. My wife fell down this morning and I went to help her and I fell down. Fortunately for both of us there was a couple inches of snow on the ice and that broke the fall a bit.

I read in the paper that there are thousands of people with fall injuries in the emergency rooms. I went to the Frye electronics store last night, and their parking lot looked like they just had a Zamboni go over it. I was seriously afraid to walk on it. The whole thing was glowing white ice.

I was trying to figure out if I could melt it with some system of warm water flowing through my hose laying on top of the ice or something. There's got to be some way to get rid of this stuff. Maybe the answer is move to Miami...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
MalibuLX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGarage View Post
I tried to rent a bobcat or tractor - no luck. I"m about ready to buy one to move this stuff.
Could you not find any available to rent? Or they wouldn't let you have it for some reason?

You might consider calling a snow removal company. Even though they might charge you $50 or so, it would still be cheaper than renting a bobcat.

Also,
MalibuLX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Bull
Super Moderator

I had ice on my roof in one spot where the upper roof was draining on the lower roof; gutters are all clogged up, of course. It was probably two feet thick in a small section.

I attacked it with a hammer, and it gradually succumbed to my blows.

If I were in your shoes, I would try a sledge hammer or mattock, powered by by repressed aggression, and if that failed then I would connect a hose to a hot water supply and use that to melt the thick stuff. Of course, all that water is going to freeze, too, so that might not entirely solve the problem.

I'm not saying these are the best options, but they are what I would use since I don't have a Bobcat or anything like that. I am used to being the mule around here.

EUDAIMONIA
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
IndyGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lima30 View Post
What about one of those large handheld turbo torches that hook to a 20# propane cylinder? I just got one last week ar HF haven't had a chance to tery it yet.
That's the red devil torch that I already tried. I thought it would melt like crazy - it didn't.

It did melt the ice - but even on full blast it was slow - like about 5 minutes per inch of progress. I gave up after I got a tiny path up the front steps and to the door that took 90 minutes and burned up 3/4 of a tank of propane.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Jaguar Fan

Location: Park City for Ski Season; Las Vegas for Poker Season

I think the answer to the OP's question is that God invented neighborhood teenaged boys who would work for some gas money. :-)

"A woman drove me to drink & I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Jaguar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
crewchief888

at least around the chicagoland/nwi area everything thats available to rent is gone.

i work at a const eq dealership, our phone started ringing last week before the storm with rental requests.

everything we have that was available is out on lease and has been since nov 1.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
some zilch

alot of places wont rent machinery or bobcats to "homeowners" b/c of the liability and usual total lack of experience. my previous employer (a very large rental yard) would not rent anything other than gas generators, small compressors, and jackhammers to homeowners. on that note, maybe try to rent a tow-behind compressor and a jackhammer??? i'd personally got get a mini-ex with a hammer, pound the shit out of the ice, and then clean up w/ a bucket and thumb
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Coach James

Is the 6" think material really just ice? If so, maybe a jack hammer.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Scout Driver

I'm not one to spend money to pay someone to do a job that I can do myself. But.....in a situation like this, it would be well worth the money to hire someone with a big skidsteer or loader to take care of the ice. The way I see it, I wouldn't chip 6" ice off of a 300' driveway by hand for $50. Therefore, the money would be well spent to have someone with adequate equipment do it.

Scott
Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
KEH

I'm from the mostly sunny south so basically I can only offer sincere sympathy.

Houever, it occurs to me that IF you had enough wood availiable and IF the city would allow it(highly doubtful) youc could have a series of small fires which would melt some ice and the remaining black charcoal would hurry the ice melting when the sun comes out.

A more serious suggestion would be to get some black plastic and put over the ice to hold the sun's heat.

I don't think you could get enough hot water to make any impression.

Good luck. I hope it clears soon so road construction can take place. I went through Indy last Summer on the beltway they are building around town and it was not a happy experience.

KEH
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Northstar9126

Throw some sand on top of the ice to give traction to both people and cars then wait for warm weather.
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
ratdoggy

My drive definitely isn't as bad as yours. I rely on time,a continued attack and the ever present solar thermodynamics (the Sun). The parking lot at work I'm always hitting it with a Bobcat so it doesn't get bad. Several bags of rocksalt (I saw they're all out by you, maybe a fertilizer place is near you...That's where we buy it by the ton.), Continued chipping with a floor scraper to break open spots that the sun can warm and the rock salt can get under the ice.
ratdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
srmofo

To the people suggesting he hire someone, its going to cost way more than $50. Especially if they are using equipment.

Use sand and have patience. Work it a little each day.

Also, my cintas guy sells used rugs for $5. You could put those down for people to walk on.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
danski0224

Quote:
That's the red devil torch that I already tried. I thought it would melt like crazy - it didn't.

It did melt the ice - but even on full blast it was slow - like about 5 minutes per inch of progress. I gave up after I got a tiny path up the front steps and to the door that took 90 minutes and burned up 3/4 of a tank of propane.
Quote:
So, this morning I started attacking the ice on my driveway. It's about 18" thick in front of the garage door and about 6" over the rest, and slick as glass - and it's not flat either - It has slow rollers all over.

My driveway is about 300 feet long.

So I bought a tile breaker for my Hilti hammer and it breaks it up into chunks - but I can't move the stuff. The chunks weigh about 30-50 lbs each and I'm worn out with about 20 shovelfuls. I can't get to my wheelbarrow, because it's stuck behind my house.

Now it's snowing like crazy so you can hardly see the slick spots. You fall down instantly if you try to walk on it.

I put 80 lbs of salt on it and it melted about a 12 inch diameter circle. No matter that it doesn't work because there's no salt within 300 miles. I got my red devil propane torch and it hardly touched it.

Any ideas?
If you really have that much ice, probably not much you can do but wait and try to score a bunch of salt.

I know people that have tried to melt frozen air conditioner coils with torches, and it never works. It is amazing how much energy it takes to melt.

Any forceful removal with heavy equipment may also damage the surface underneath.

Maybe try renting a 40# or 60# electric demolition hammer (on a GFCI breaker) and bust it up faster than a small rotary hammer/chisel. On your own to bust it into smaller pieces. I really think this would be a better course of action... but there is the whole ice/water and electricity thing.

I would think that anything using hot water will cool off and freeze unless you clear a channel for the runoff. Maybe a hot water pressure washer would work, but odds are it will make a bigger mess.

Big tarp and a couple of big torpedo heaters?
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by some zilch View Post
alot of places wont rent machinery or bobcats to "homeowners" b/c of the liability and usual total lack of experience. my previous employer (a very large rental yard) would not rent anything other than gas generators, small compressors, and jackhammers to homeowners. on that note, maybe try to rent a tow-behind compressor and a jackhammer??? i'd personally got get a mini-ex with a hammer, pound the shit out of the ice, and then clean up w/ a bucket and thumb
I don't know of any places around here that don't rent out bobcats and such to homeowners.

I vote for a compressor and hammer, or at least laying some of that roof heating tape out on the ice. No, you won't realistically melt 18" with it, but it would put some grip into it.

I would also be chucking some sand down on top of it.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote