Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
v7guy

Default My local Home Depot has cameras watching self check out, does yours?

I went into my closest home depot last night and as I was checking out at the self check out there was a screen showing a video of my transaction. The whole time I was scanning my items there was a screen in front of my face showing everything I did. It really creeped me out. Everytime I glanced up I was looking at myself.
I understand that I'm probably on video anyways, and I have no problem with that really. But this is getting over the top, I'm ugly,i don't like looking at myself.
I don't think I'll ever go there again... is this happening anywhere else?

my slow, not often updated garage build

my never ending wilton vise resto
v7guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Kevin54

Default Re: My local Home Depot has cameras watching self check out, does yours?

I never use the self checkout anyways. The HD that I go to has enough people standing around, so I let them have something to do. If I am going to have to work as a checkout there, I want the employee discount.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
danski0224

Default Re: My local Home Depot has cameras watching self check out, does yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
If I am going to have to work as a checkout there, I want the employee discount.
There is no employee discount at HD.

It is much easier for a customer to whine about something/nothing and get 10% off.

Employees get 0% off, and technically, all clearance merchandise is supposed to be available to regular customers on the sales floor for 24 hours before an employee can buy it. Hiding/saving stuff is a terminable offense.

Menards has an employee discount, but the discount amount is somehow tied to the pay of the employee... discount can't be more than the amount you earn. That prevents people from working there temporarily and building a house or subsidizing a business.

Lowes has an employee discount- not sure how it works.

Last edited by danski0224; 02-08-2011 at 04:49 AM.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Boost Creep

i hate self check outs. i avoid them whenever possible
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
DanCo

Location: In a house, on a block, somewhere in Queens New York
Send a message via AIM to DanCo Send a message via Yahoo to DanCo

I've noticed them in the section, I hate it, since they are taping me I'll go out of my way to give the camera the finger.

Looking for Snap On Pearl Handled Screwdrivers, PM me if you want to sell

DanCo's For Sale Items
DanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
robsled

As an EX employee of HD (quit last week after 13 years) I can tell you for sure.....You are being watched at all times, not just self check-out. There are cameras throughout the store in every aisle. A bank of monitors in the office can zoom in on you as you shop or shoplift. There are plainclothes "asset protection" employees that walk the store all day.

HD used to give employees a 10% discount but they let it get out of control with neighbors, cousins & sisters boyfriends getting the discount. So instead of controlling it, they just stopped it completely.

I just bought my gladiator cabinets last month from Lowes. I told the cashier that I worked at HD and she gave me 10% off my $1200 purchase!
HD sent out a memo to all stores last year NOT to offer the Veterans a 10% off discount unless they ask for it. AND THEN they must provide proof that they were actually a Vet. So the guy that's wearing a hat with VietNam Vet embroidered on it and a T-shirt with the Marines logo on it still has to prove he is really a vet!

Needless to say......I'm shopping at Lowes from now on!

Last edited by robsled; 02-08-2011 at 06:39 AM.
robsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
need more tools

I go to the self check out and go up to the employe that monitors the activity there. and make them check me out. when they tell me I can use one of the self checkouts I tell then I cant buy it and sell it to.
need more tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
bochnak

I don't know how many times I have walked up to a self checkout to find the change dish full of a few bucks from the previous customer. Of course, my money fall right on top of it don't notice it till I get home. I think the down low placement plays a huge part.

Also, many times I walk out of there with miss scanned items.

I don't use them anymore since I always have a Lowe's 10% off coupon with me that needs to be manually entered by a cashier.
bochnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I have only used the self check out once I believe. I generally use the Pro check out. Not because I' a contractor but becasue it's easier to get through. The same girl is usually working and knows the wife and I by face (repeat customers).

I always like to look up at the camera, smile and wave.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
trythis

Every big box store you go in has cameras everywhere from the time you enter the parking lot to the time you leave.

I think I can recognize the Asset protection guys and ladies. They alwasy look like they are shopping and sometimes carry a few things, but they never look like they need ot be somewhere else installing that thing in hand.

Because of them, I am always nervous that when I put my own stuff in my pocket or want to tuck something I am buying under my arm to make it easy to carry I will be frisked or something.
trythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
brownbagg

i hate the self checkout because they always someone behind you in a big hurry and someone in front of you dump as a bag of rocks, i mean the customer too.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
johnny

Get used to it, your on camera eveywhere.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
MSG C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Get used to it, your on camera eveywhere.
That's the problem because we have become so accepting of the technology. It's even worse in Europe/UK.

However unlike George Orwell's version, it's not big government, rather big business that is watching us.

It's not so much that our freedoms are being taken away, it's more that we are surrendering our freedom so easily in name of technology. Google your name for instance...
MSG C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
ehegwer

Can they see you enter your pin # from your debit card?

Check out some really cool houses on my Austin Real Estate blog
ehegwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Porcupine

I was waiting in the regular lineup to see a cashier at HD when the employee overlooking the self-checkout counters looks over to me and says "I can help you at the self-checkout"............I was like, how can YOU help me if it is a SELF-checkout?

Turns out it was to help me if I needed help checking things out.

I try to never use those self-checkout counters. Always encouraged to, but I rarely do. Just goes against the grain. As for cameras, there are a few that are no doubt, aimed down to see what customers are doing at those checkouts, but no footage can be seen on any monitor like the OP described.
Porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Auzivision

I love the self checkout, every time I go I see how fast I can get out... it can be amazinlgly quick for just an item or two if you don't mis-step. I don't have to look at myself, but if they did I'd jsut ignore it. Camera are and have been in every store of anysize. Heck I remeber being in the security room when I work at Sears in the early 80's.

Problem is, when you screw up now days... good chance someone will catch it on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRXPjmykt8\

In this case, sometimes from more than one angle.

Last edited by Auzivision; 02-08-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Auzivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
tncatadjuster

I always use the self check out. Fast, easy, always open. I never shoplift, so nothing to worry about, I don't care if they pat me down, but they need to do it quick. I'm out of there.

Standing watching a slow cashier is no fun. I have learned that if you scan the items and swipe the card without using the touch screen it is a fast process.

Lumber is bought down at the pro desk.
tncatadjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
Falcon67

I go to HD specifically because their self checks are usually always open and I can swipe and go without an issue. Lowes takes f'n forever for checkout. I don't care who watches - if there weren't so many damn thieves, they wouldn't have to watch. I'd rather they watch and bust the crap out of the snipers - keeps my costs down. We all pay for shoplifting but you already knew that. I bought a bunch of stuff at HD the other day and when I emptied the cart at the car, there was a $3 fitting in the bottom that I missed under a sales flyer. I took it back in and paid for it.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
LEVE

I'm all for automation when it makes sense. But in this instance, the use of self-check-out stations, I am not in favor of them. I dislike them and refuse to use them and tell the store management when ever I get a chance.

They isolate the customer from another point of employee contact. I was in a local Spokane Valley Mom & Pop hardware store the other day and wrote a check. The clerk, who'd been hired recently, apologized and asked me for my ID. He explained the store been hit recently for check-fraud. This was a first for the store. Then the clerk told me he'd remember me and never ask for my ID again; then he apologized again for having to ask. I expect him in a month from now NOT to ask for my ID as I buy something. I like the store, the service, and the young clerk. That's one of the reasons I go to the store.

Before I was married, I was building a house and needed many tools. I went to Sears in Seattle (4th & Lander... anyone remember that store?) and bought $300 in tools. Seven years later I found myself building another house for my growing family. All my tools were stolen from the work site.

I went back to the same Sears and bought $500 (inflation) worth of tools. I got my wallet out to show the clerk my ID and he said: "Put your wallet away, I know you... and your checks are good here... Remember when you bought those tools a few years ago?" I was astonished!

Now that's Customer Service! From that point on I'd drive 30 miles one-way and far out of my way to buy any tools I ever needed from that clerk, at that Sears store. Heck, I'd even buy clothes there and take it to him so he'd get the commission.

Yep, I think that places that use self-check-out stations are shooting themselves in the foot with the customer.

Oh well, it ain't my business... so what do I know?
LEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
MrSnicks

I was in a Hardees the other day and a guy was telling his friend how he LOVED the self checkouts at walmart/lowes and anywhere else that has them. He was bragging that he swaps upc codes and the cashier is usually smart enough to know a $100.00 item that rings up as 5-10 bucks is fishy, but the self checkout isn't. He said the "cashier" responsible for the banks of self checkouts just wants to hear a beep when you scan an item.

I know each item has a certain weight, and that the bag area has a scale and if the item weights don't match an error comes up. But there is also the option to "skip bagging this item". Maybe these cameras could catch this, maybe they just look to see each item is swiped and a total is rung up. Who knows. I'll do a self-checkout ONLY IF there is an open one. Too many challenged people trying to to use them.

Patrick
MrSnicks is offline   Reply With Quote