Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
ckana74

Question what the best tire changer and balancer?

Hi,
I am shopping for new or used tire changers and balancer for a shop that i will open soon. I have been looking around they are so many options out there to make your head spin. So i need some of your opinions. My budget is about 6k. i am buying two tire changers, one balancer and a compressor.

Budget: 6k
Machine needed: 2 tire changers , balancer and compressor
Volume: probably 20 tires/day then maybe 40/day few months in

I have read some good reviews about Coats and Atlas, but still looking around for the best prices and best machines. I live in Florida, so if you know a good supplier around central Florida. Please let me know as well.

Thank you all.
ckana74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
mwritter

Default Re: what the best tire changer and balancer?

This is not exactly my department but I've always hunted for a shop with Hunter equipment when I've needed work done. Always read good things about them.

http://www.hunter.com/
mwritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Ohio Auto

Coats.
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
revlover

Coats and Hunter - most pro shops use. Kinda pricey though so forget a 6K budget. Greg Smith has a lot of Atlas detail.

BendPak's brand new NextGen units look pretty solid.
http://www.bendpak.com/nextgen-tire-changers/

Best place to go price shopping is Google Products.

http://www.maxjaxusa.com
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
fefarms

It sounds like you are preparing to open a shop with paid employees. You will be stepping up to a whole new world where extended downtime is unacceptable and you need to worry about potential worker injuries. In these circumstances I think you pretty much have to go with Coats -- a USA based company with a real service and support organization, building products intended for all-day, every-day use.

Purchase cost doesn't matter nearly as much to the man running a business compared to the hobby guy. You can depreciate the business asset, and your other operating costs tend to dwarf the cost of capital, although your 6k budget is about half what it should be for an operation expected to be a going concern, purchasing new professional grade equipment.

I think you should leave the Chinese and Mexican import stuff to us hobby guys.

As for my own experience, I own a Coats 5060E tire changer and Hunter DSP9500 balancer. I boought them used at auction for $600 each. They get the job done, and are good sturdy machines. They both have some wear, and would slow down a high-volume production shop, but are fine for home hobby use.

Last edited by fefarms; 02-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
fefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
srmofo

We use hunters and coats at my current shop. Your not going to get anywhere near the equipment you need for 6K without shopping used and getting lucky. Find auctions, there seems to be a lot of dealers going under right now and those are the places you'll find what you need.

We had an old coats 40/40 that did steel rims and it still worked after all those years, but it was a slow process compared to newer machines.

20 tires is quite a few tires per day in/day out for a small shop. Unless you are planning on mounting customer tires only, keeping tires in stock is expensive. 6k is a drop in the bucket compared to what we keep in tire inventory in our 6 bay shop.

Whats your business plan or goals? number of bays? that kind of stuff.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
tatra

coats 40/40 were dogs as far as speed goes..........a 20/20 , while maybe not as much power seemed twice as fast to me..........consider buying 3 cheap ones and work 2 and keep the third in reserve, if space allows ..........what kind of tires and rim assys will you moostly be doing?...........as for balancers, that's where your reputation is going to make or break you........charge for a balance and have even one comeback, potential loss of future business..........2 or more comebacks, next vendor please.........we used to keep test assy's that were purposely made out of balance to ensure they were correct before the service guy left..........truck boots were glued inside the tire so the sevice guy didn't know how out of balance they were..........pissed the hoffman serv. dept off to no end when we would pull rank on them and insist the repair was done to spec.........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #8
robertearl

John Bean equipment here in my shop. A good place to find them used is Liquidation.com. Got a changer and balancer there for $600.

Reb
robertearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
79firebird

Depending on the kind o shop make shure to get one that can go to 22+ inch rims as thats what most people change to now adays. A good compressor if lets say its a mechanic shop will cost you like 2-3k. a real budget would be more like 10-12k
79firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
bazzateer

what the best tire changer and balancer?

It used to be me!

My garage story: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
I think the cop made a good decision.
bazzateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
RIVERWEST AUTO

i have a coats tire changer 5040 no good for low profiles.....but all around awesome
and an atlas balancer because my 1960 sun balancer finally crapped out and chased the weights. whats cool is the chinese atlas works identical to the old sun machine when it was new. that being said if you need to do low profiles or wide wheels the stuff i use wont work! then u need to go high tech
RIVERWEST AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlas, tire balancer, tire changer, tire shop