Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
thrifty bill

Send a message via ICQ to thrifty bill
Default 20 foot wide Garage Door, Possible Concerns?

I recently bought an old house, and it has a detached garage, that never had a door installed on it. The garage itself is 24 wide, by 26 deep. The opening for the door is 20 feet wide, and I am looking to go with a door that wide, rather than spend time and money making the opening narrower.

I have found some doors that wide, they tend to have a heavier gauge steel, and cost more (go figure).

Anyway, any words of wisdom before I go ahead and order this door?

Thanks!

bill
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
G-Man

Default Re: 20 foot wide Garage Door, Possible Concerns?

Far left door is 20' wide by 13' tall. Spent around $2200 for the door and another $500 for a commercial opener. Don't skimp on the door - its big and subject to LOTS of stress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2558small.jpg (26.9 KB, 135 views)
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Notch1988

I've got an 18X9, T16 insulated door on my garage. Had it for 5.5 years now with no issues. It was expensive because they classified it as a commercial door. Look for a few braces across the door, an adjustable band for the bow in the door, big hinges on the rollers to handle the weight and a good system of spreading the load of the door opener.
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
bczygan

Read up on shear walls. You will need to make the wall on each side of the door into a shear panel to resist shear loads that can cause the wall to rack and the structureto fall like a house of cards.

Bill
Designer in Detroit
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
december45

Ive got a 12' rollup door on my shop and when the winds start howling that door really feels it, it will bow pretty significantly, I havent had any real problems with it,but have heard of roll ups being blown hard enough to come off their tracks
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Kentuckian

When I built my larger garage ten years ago I had two overhead doors installed. One is 10 x 9 and the other is 18 x 9. I have not had any problems so far with either door. The larger door was custom ordered but the price was not bad. Just part of having a nice garage to my specs.
Kentuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
thecj3man

My folks have an 18 ft garage door on thier house. The only problem is when the power goes out my mom can't open it by herself. It is a heavy beast.

WAP
thecj3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
dlewis

I've had a 19'5"x8' for three years no problems, did not plan on heating garage but ended up getting a heater so I wish I'd got it with insulated double pane windows.
dlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
akdiesel
Alliance Member

I have a 40'x60' shop with two 12' wide by 10' tall doors side by side. There is a center support that can be removed or lifted out of the way when both doors are open giving me approx 25' of span. I really like this set up since I do not need the full opening all the time so the shop is not exposed to the environment.
As stated you will need good support for the shear weight as well as an engineered header beam.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
BADSIX

i have a 18x9 its 4 years old and no problems it does need to be a commercial style door
thecj3man , have someone come out and adjust the springs. it might save your mommy from hurting her self. i can open my 18 foot insulated with little efort.
BADSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
jstroede

We make 20' wide doors all the time with no issues, either commercial ribbed or residential stamped and either non-insulated open back or insulated sandwich panel type. You are not going to find this on the shelf at your local box store, but it is not an uncommon size at all.

John
Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
swharris

Send a message via Skype™ to swharris

Are all these standard segmented panel doors? How about multi segment industrial roll ups in '20+ widths? I'm looking at something in the 25 foot width for my future garage instead of 2 smaller doors.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
6768rogues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecj3man View Post
My folks have an 18 ft garage door on thier house. The only problem is when the power goes out my mom can't open it by herself. It is a heavy beast.

WAP
You should have the springs adjusted or replaced. Any garage door that is properly adjusted should go up with little effort and should not put much load on the opener.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
jstroede

You can buy roll-up type doors in twice those widths.

John
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
69dz302z28

We bought our house a year and a half ago it has a 21 x 7 door on a converted carport to garage door is heavy gauge steel and is very heavy easy to lift by hand thanks to the hellacious door springs. We have a heavy duty chamberlain screw drive opener, i9t was there when we bought the house. I'm sure its screw drive because of the weight and stress.
69dz302z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Beaner242

Ive had my 20x10 installed for several months with no issues what so ever. They come with the steel reinforcement ribs that mount on the inside of the door. Check doorson-line.com Best prices I found.
Beaner242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
lh4x4

My garage door is 20 X 7. When the old one was at the end of its life and I was going to heat the garage, I went to Raynor for a new one. They did come out and measured for themselves as they would for any order.

I got the one with R13 insulation, two windows and all the metal braces, tracks and even the springs powder coated installed for $2K.

I could see on the garage floor that originally when the garage was built in 1951 there was a post in the center so it had two doors originally. I am the fourth owner so someone along the way wanted a single door and changed it.

I looked on my photobucket pictures and I don't have one directly of the door but here is one of it open taken at a angle so you don't get the full effect of the width.

It has a 3/4 screw drive opener. When the power is out it is very easy to lift. However if one of the springs ever fails, it would be a bear to get up.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-14-2011 at 10:32 PM.
lh4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
mmhouse

Get plenty of struts on it to make sure it doesn't buckle.
mmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Mike in Ohio

I have an 18 x 8 that I think is not braced well enough. It flexes so much that some of the rivets holding holding the face to the frame popped out. I replaced them with small machine screws and lock nuts and it seems much sturdier. I think it is a CH brand door. I do like the bigger opening though.
Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
JDishong

I plan to purchase a 18' x 10' from Overhead Door Co. Installed for $2k. Most company offer "standard" and "heavy duty" (24 GA steel). From this discussion, I plan to get the HD version. - Thx
JDishong is offline   Reply With Quote