Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Jeffksf

Default Chrysler 2.4L DOHC timing belt question.

So I'm helping a buddy out and helping him fix his 2001 Sebring 4dr. His timing belt went last week luckily he was on his street. I got into it today and I've done timing belts before but always before they broke. Seeing how this one chewed up some teeth on the belt while it was running the timing is off. This is a non interference engine so I'm not worried about a ruined engine but I am worried about getting the cams and the crank back in time with each other. I found TDC on number 1 cylinder and I put the cam marks where they are supposed to be. But how do I know it's on the right stroke and rotation? Do i have to hook up a compression tester on #1 cyl to see if its on the compression stroke or do the marks on the crank pulley only line up on the compression stroke? Do I have to pull the valve cover to make sure all 4 valves are closed on #1 or do the cam gear marks only line up on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder? Basically can I just line up all the marks and put the new belt on or do I have to do more investigative work since this belt failed while running?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
CarCrafter

Default Re: Chrysler 2.4L DOHC timing belt question.

Not sure about your repair info. I just looked up the 2.4 on Mitchell Ondemand and it states that the engine IS an interference engine.

Trouble is.
Half of the people think it is a wonderful place to live,
while the other half think it is a wonderful place to pillage.
CarCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
aandpdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffksf View Post
I found TDC on number 1 cylinder and I put the cam marks where they are supposed to be. But how do I know it's on the right stroke and rotation?
You just did. The crankshaft is going to go around twice for every revolution of the camshaft. Whether you set it on the first turn or the second, the valves are still timed correctly to the crank.
aandpdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Winneratalosinggame

Actually on a DOHC engine you will need to remove Valve cover and verify that both Cams are on compression stroke #1 cylinder, Both valves closed with marks lined up and crank TDC. Same with a single cam engine, never ASSUME when doing T-belts, Murphy's law will always be against you... Also install a new tensioner, NAPA sells T-belt kits that contain every thing that should be changed.
Winneratalosinggame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrafter View Post
Not sure about your repair info. I just looked up the 2.4 on Mitchell Ondemand and it states that the engine IS an interference engine.
IIRC, the 2.4L in the Sebring cars were non-interference motors until '04 or so. The 2.4L in the other cars were interference motors, but I think it was valve-to-valve not valve-to-piston. Depending on the break, he may have gotten lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffksf View Post
This is a non interference engine so I'm not worried about a ruined engine but I am worried about getting the cams and the crank back in time with each other.

Basically can I just line up all the marks and put the new belt on or do I have to do more investigative work since this belt failed while running?
Yep, line up the marks on the compression stroke on the cams, move #1 to TDC, set the exhaust cam 1/2 tooth low, route the belt, tension, crank over twice, make sure the marks line back up. If it was my car, I'd probably do a quick leakdown test on #1 if you have the ability, just to make sure nothing got crunched and then throw a belt on there. Besides, belts for those are what, $40 or so? Chances are you'll be fine.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
wafrederick

Minus well put in a waterpump at the same time,probally the original waterpump and do it right the first time.Another thing is the piston rings have washed out too and this probally did not happen.Had this happen to a 2001 PT Cruiser with the same engine,auction cranked on it way too much
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
clarky456

Hey Jeff. Owned and worked on several vehicles with the 2.0/2.4 variant of chry co's first computer designed 4 cylinder motor. Wonderful motor as easy to work on, though it does take some practice. Unfortunately Jeff, i believe the 2.4 is an interference motor. To get the crank to the right position, one simply need only to rotate the crank until the arrow on the gear lines up with the arrow cast into the block. Having photos is helpful, as is a howto...

http://jball.neons.org//howto/timing_belt/howto.html

Information is based upon the SOHC motor with the hydraulic tensioner. If the motor you are working on has a hydraulic tensioner, do not replace it with anything but a part you buy from chrysler! I have personally seen one almost two motors ruined due to that darn thing. Hope that helps a bit.

Joe
clarky456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Jeffksf

OK keep in mind this is a DOHC not a SOHC. According to Gates website and the Haynes manual the SOHC is interfernce not the DOHC, and I'm working on a DOHC.
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598

THis motor does not have a hydraulic tensioner it has a eccentric idler type.
He did get the Gates kit with thte water pump and tensioner and idler pulleys. I also plan on doing a thermostat and the 2 serpentine belts. The other bad news is it looks like I have to remove the alternator and A/C compressor to access the waterpump, not positive yet on that. He is stoping at the library today to see if he can grab the Chrysler manual which should be more specific then the Haynes.

Can I rent a compression gauge from Autozone?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
lametec

You should be able to find a service manual here that will work for you:
http://oskin.ru/chrysler-dodge/manua...ice%20Manuals/

This one is for the minivans, but the engine should be the same.
lametec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
Besides, belts for those are what, $40 or so? Chances are you'll be fine.
Don't know about the twin cam 2.4 but the single cam 2.0 in my '99 Breeze, the Gates belt kit, which is belt and tensioner pulley, is $100 at O'Reilly's.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
tdkkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
Minus well put in a waterpump at the same time,probally the original waterpump and do it right the first time.Another thing is the piston rings have washed out too and this probally did not happen.Had this happen to a 2001 PT Cruiser with the same engine,auction cranked on it way too much

WTF did you just say???
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
wafrederick

The auction tried to start this PT Cruiser which the timing belt was broken and washed out the cylinders,my mistake.There were scratches in the cylinders and the cylinders were bored out.Did put in a new waterpump at the same time,was not leaking and did not take a chance doing it a second time.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
SS5150

I've been under the impression 2.4 is an interference engine.

I haven't done one in a few months but I don't think I had to pull the alternator or compressor to do the water pump. Pretty sure I evac'd the a/c to get the lines out of the way and pulled the overflow bottle out for a little more room but thats all that comes to mind now.

2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ
1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
2011 Ski-Doo TNT 800 Etec
2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600

Certified Chrysler, Jeep, & Dodge Technician
SS5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Jeffksf

People please follow along, there are 2 possible 2.4l engines in this vehicle, one has 2 cams one has 1 cam. Please specify what engine you may have worked on if you can. I am only concerned with the DOHC.
Why the hell did chrysler offer 4 different engines in these cars? Maybe thats a reason they needed bailing out....
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Ohio Auto

I don't care what the Gates book says...it is an interference motor.

Line your marks up and see what happens, that's all you can do at this point.

Watch the cam marks when you let the tensioner go, one will want to spin a little on you. Compensate by setting that cam off a little bit on initial line up.

If your buddy wasn't going at highway speed you're probably ok.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
DoyleDee

Some of the engines were interference engines....depending on what it was and year.. I know for a fact that the 2.5l v6 is an interference engine. I replaced the engine in my vert with a cirrus engine- 97 vert, 95 cirrus. Good luck on the car!!
DoyleDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
CoreyVanDine

Hope this helps. If it were me I would also install a new water pump. Tensioner will probably be fine. Also line your marks up and it will be in time. No need to pull a valve cover.

Last edited by CoreyVanDine; 02-15-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Typo
CoreyVanDine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
CoreyVanDine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Auto View Post
I don't care what the Gates book says...it is an interference motor.

Line your marks up and see what happens, that's all you can do at this point.

Watch the cam marks when you let the tensioner go, one will want to spin a little on you. Compensate by setting that cam off a little bit on initial line up.

If your buddy wasn't going at highway speed you're probably ok.
Also he's right these are interference engines but very seldom do the valves actually hit. High rpms is really the only case in which I've seen the things make contact and even the it was just a slight nick.
CoreyVanDine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #19
Jeffksf

He did pull onto his side street and accelerated up a very small hill when it quit so no real high RPMs, We'll see I guess. Will continue this afternoon.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
nato

Um...the 2.4l that's in my '03 Wrangler IS NOT an inteference engine. As far as I know, all the 2.4l's are free-wheeling...I don't know where you guys are getting this interference info.
Only interference could possibly be if the valves could open and touch each other if you happen to bump each of the cams with the belt removed; not valve clearance to piston as associated w/ north 'interference' terminology.

Maybe the heads vary from vehicle to vehicle??? I don' think that's even the case though (aside from an SRT4)
nato is offline   Reply With Quote