Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
xcgates

Question Reuse disposable foam earplugs?

I commute on my motorcycles, heck, my Ducati is my grocery-getter!

Pretty much every time I go anywhere, I use earplugs, and have long used the same pair until they don't *feel* right. Be that they get crap on them, they aren't firm enough, whatever. So at a minimum, if I didn't reuse them at all, I'd go through a minimum of 2 pairs a day.

I will normally use one pair for a week of commuting (approx), storing them in a small plastic box that I got with some box of plugs a while back.

As I threw out a rather disgusting pair this morning, I was wondering if this practice is bad? I don't (generally) re-use them if they fall on the ground, or get vehicle/road crud on them.

In order of acquisition: '85 Kawi ZN700, '99 Subie Legacy Outback, '07 Ducati ST3, '79 Suzuki GS850G
In order of use: Duc, Kawi, ..., ..., Subie (where did the keys to the Subie go???)

Beer is an acquired taste. You should acquire the taste of the cheap stuff.

Shop Motto: If it ain't broke, we haven't fixed it yet.

Blaidd Drwg
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Torque1st

Default Re: Reuse disposable foam earplugs?

I reuse them until they get soiled.
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Read "The Marching Morons" Here
"Works" <> Safe, Good, or Right
"You can't fix stupid." -Ron White
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Buxfan

Use them until they don't work....
Buxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Stuart in MN

I've washed them with hair shampoo and then rinsed them well, and they come out like new.
Stuart in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Until they gross me out.

I wouldn't share them, now that I think about it.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
xcgates

Considering I bought a box of 500 pairs for something like $25 dollars, I don't think I'm going to go to the effort of washing them, but it's good to know others do the same thing I do.

I really just thought about it, because the plugs were truly on the nasty side of the scale this morning. Kinda made me think a bit.

@Jack Olsen, what do you mean share? I don't think I'd ever want to share plugs that had been in someone else's ear. It is kind of like sweaty workout clothes, I don't mind putting my sweat-soaked warmups back on, but I'm the biggest wimp about touching other people's sweaty clothes.

Of course I have extra plugs littering each bike, my car, work, garage, living room, etc. That is what I love about the ones that come prepackaged in plastic, you can just stash them everywhere.

In order of acquisition: '85 Kawi ZN700, '99 Subie Legacy Outback, '07 Ducati ST3, '79 Suzuki GS850G
In order of use: Duc, Kawi, ..., ..., Subie (where did the keys to the Subie go???)

Blaidd Drwg
Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Lotek

Just a thought, if the bike is so loud that you need earplugs inside a helmet, maybe earplugs aren't the correct solution...

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
oldtractors

My bike is a Honda ST1100 that is quieter than most sedans. However, I often wear ear plugs to quiet out the wind noise. Stick your head out the window of your car at 70 mph and see how loud it is.
oldtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Miter Wrench

The main thing is to wear them. You never get your hearing back once you loose it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
metal1313

why not spend a little money and invest in a few pairs of custom molded ones? they are easier to clean, more comfortable, and work better.
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
JMartel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
Just a thought, if the bike is so loud that you need earplugs inside a helmet, maybe earplugs aren't the correct solution...
Not the point of ear plugs. Ear plugs are to soften the wind noise. You actually hear the bike and surroundings better when you have plugs in. The wind noise will make you deaf, even with a full face helmet on.
JMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
rasit

They call them disposable for a reason. Had a dozer operator at work who use to pop the same pair in and out all day long. He ended up with an ear infection that doctors said was caused from rolling and inserting them with dirty hands. He ended up missing a week of work. You can buy a lot of earplugs for a weeks wages. Toss them, or at least wash after you wipe and you should be ok........
rasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
babzog

I reuse mine a number of times but yeah, I try not to roll them with dirty hands. Not into filling my ears with crud - they do that well enough on their own.
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Case IH

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal1313 View Post
why not spend a little money and invest in a few pairs of custom molded ones? they are easier to clean, more comfortable, and work better.
+1 my racing coach had a pair of custom ones mainly because he use to race skip barber and SCCA and he swore by them except for the day he lost a sound filter for one
Case IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Stuart in MN

I always wear them when riding my motorcycle. As mentioned above, even with a helmet they cut the wind noise. It can really wear you out after a long day if you don't wear them. Plus, hearing doesn't come back...I have a partial hearing loss as it is, I don't want to lose any more.
Stuart in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
xcgates

Bike noise: About the only way I hear the bike at speed is if I duck below airstream behind the windshield. And then pretty much only if I'm at greater than 1/2 throttle, which I really shouldn't be doing a whole lot of. To add to that, I'm thinking of getting a lower windshield after I get another seat, because if I stand up with my butt about 2 inches off the seat, my head enters clean air, and the noise drops significantly.

And as much as I play at being a hardworking man, I sit at a computer most of the day, so unless I break down on the side of the road, I don't normally have greasy/gritty hands. And even though I don't think it's doing much, I use that earwax remover from time to time. Can't hurt, right?

And somewhere I do have the number of a custom earplug maker here in San Antonio. Picked up his number from a couple guys at a shotgun competition, but didn't get to him before he left. (I was scoring)

Yes, earplugs cut down drastically on the fatigue when you are riding all day long, especially. Even makes a difference around town.

Blaidd Drwg
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Finley

last year i had a pair of howard leight earplugs, they lasted daily use on the bike for the better part of 4 months.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I'll use them till I feel they are too dirty. Then I use a new pair, I bought a 10 pack last year and still have some.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Crusty Nut

I used to work in the woods running saws all day. I always just put them in my pants pocket and throw all the clothes in the washer. It worked on a daily basis for 5 years and I still wash them that way, just less often now.

707-599-2315

I am a tool user, not a tool polisher
Crusty Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
xcgates

Okay, now some of you have me thinking, what would be a good thing to toss the plugs in to the laundry? Do they have small mesh laundry bags? I have a couple large ones that I've used when I use mass laundry facilities.

Easier to just use handsoap, a sink, and some old fashioned effort?

Blaidd Drwg