Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
onemoretry

Default welding and plasma table design ?s

I have been playing with a couple of new toys: 1. Google sketchup, 2. A 110V Lincoln MIG, and 3. a new Hypertherm 45.
Trying to take all three into consideration, I am proposing this:

And would love to have any feedback you could consider regarding this setup as a MIG table, as a plasma table, and for my mad skills in Sketchup.

The plan is the the slats would be removable, ~5 pieces of 1/2" could be set on top for welding (leaving a gap between to clamp to). I could also cut 1/2" wider slats and use the table half set for welding and half set for plasma and still have the top reasonably flat.
It would have casters of some sort.
I will likely add spots for hanging clamps and such, as well as, a handle to roll it around.
I am still debating about a lot of things:
1. Should I miter the corners of the table runners and set the table on top of the legs?
2. Should I add a shelf to the bottom? I am worried about having space for feet while welding
3. What configuration for normal use? Half plasma, half welding, or just figure it out as I go.
4. How do I attach the top and have it still be removable to switch to the plasma variant?
5. Any thoughts on where to add hitch receivers to add grinders, vises, etc?
6. Does anyone want a copy of my design file to tear apart? (Remember, this is the first thing I have ever designed in Sketchup.)
onemoretry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Grinder Bill

Default Re: welding and plasma table design ?s

For a first go-round with a drawing program I'd say you've done damn well; do you have a cad background to draw on? I've used acad since ver. 2 and know what the learning curve can be like...

Check out this free welding table plan from Miller; it incorporates a plasma cutting grate & containment area:
http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...welding-table/

I built my welding table with a subframe to accomodate a plasma grate cutout but my welding guru talked me out of a all-in-one solution... He said blowing crap all over the place should be kept away from the welding area, so I built a 2'x2' table specifically for plasma. It doesn't matter how pretty or well engineered it is, it's purpose in life is to be mangled and cut to pieces...
Grinder Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Karnage

How about this, saves lifting the grate out and gives you more flexability.

The two front posts can be used as recievers for things like a vice. I will upload the model to the 3d warehouse when it lets me sign in.

Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder Bill View Post
For a first go-round with a drawing program I'd say you've done damn well; do you have a cad background to draw on? I've used acad since ver. 2 and know what the learning curve can be like...

Check out this free welding table plan from Miller; it incorporates a plasma cutting grate & containment area:
http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...welding-table/

I built my welding table with a subframe to accomodate a plasma grate cutout but my welding guru talked me out of a all-in-one solution... He said blowing crap all over the place should be kept away from the welding area, so I built a 2'x2' table specifically for plasma. It doesn't matter how pretty or well engineered it is, it's purpose in life is to be mangled and cut to pieces...
That plan is one of the reasons I started playing with the posted design. Good points about purpose driven design. One of the reasons that I have considered making it flexible is that if I find that one version or the other is more useful, I can just make a smaller version of the other. Of course space is always an issue too.
I haven't used any CAD packages before, but do review a lot of solid works design for work so understand some of the basic concerns of design. I would love to see more people use sketchup as it is the most accessible program and is free, and can be used to easily share designs.
Thanks again for the thoughts, I look forward to getting ripped apart on this as I need to learn about all three, welding, cutting, and design.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
How about this, saves lifting the grate out and gives you more flexability.

The two front posts can be used as recievers for things like a vice. I will upload the model to the 3d warehouse when it lets me sign in.

Fan-flipping-tastic ideas. Did you just whip that up? It took me hours to make mine and there are many flaws.
Do you perceive any concerns about keeping the welding table square with just hinges? Perhaps alignment pins when the top flips up.
Thanks for the great thoughts and for posting great images.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Karnage

about 15-20 mins. Its hard to see in the design, and i need to correct the offset then upload the model so you can see.

Basically, a large version of a piano hinge with 2 concentric size pipes or a pipe and a rod

The rod is red
The green pipes are welded to the folding top
The blue pipe is welded to the table frame.
You could of course cut the outer pipe into smaller sections which would probably be stronger depending on the weight of the tops.

If you want the tops to be more secure you could weld a couple of nut to the bottom of each plate.

Then drill some holes in the frame so you can bolt it from underneath

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
OccupantRJ

How about a design where the table has a solid or multi panel top, then an underdrawer with grating, that can be pulled out when needed for the plasma use?

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Karnage

That could also work but may become unstable depending on weight.

It would also limit you ability to clamp through the slots, plus the grate offers a lot of support to the top with adding complexity and more framing.

Last edited by Karnage; 03-02-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
OccupantRJ

If the drawer was made to slide out from the narrow width of the table, and mounted below the upper support rails, there should be minimal issues relative to clamping and stability, assuming the use of standard C clamps in an upright position.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Karnage

Yeah possibly. I like Onemoretry's idea, and for me the less materials and complexity the better.

Google Sketchup model for download
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...dd87c2d06a4263
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
E.rodz

2nd the pull out drawer for catching plasma spray.if you don't you will be shure to start whatever gets kicked under the bench on fire. and also spray all over your clamps.I think i would make them out of stainless and fill them with water when plasma cutting to keep the smoke down.when cutting. this coming from someone living in cold climant and have a problem keeping the heat in the shop and trying not to die from smoke inhalation. looks like you have got a great start.
http://www.ErodzCustoms.com
Follow the Belair Build!!
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ner&highlight=
E.rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Heavy Metal Doctor

For what it's worth, in a working shop, I just use a small (3' by 4') steel bench for welding / plasma work. It has the frame flanges facing out so you have a good strong edge that's easy to clamp to. I don't care for plasma cutting on top of a grate 'cause every time the cutting stream hits one of the grate fins bellow the work, it causes a deflection that will be seen along the cut edge. I find it's simpler to just hange the line to be cut off the table and let the spray hit the floor. Nice straight cuts with only a slight touch witha grinder to take some slag off. I keep that corner of the shop free of flamibles and just sweep up when it needs it.
<<<<<<See left
Heavy Metal Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Grinder Bill

Listen to the Doctor.

Here's my plasma table during the day. Rev 1.1

But after dark she gets dressed for some hot action...

It is the same height as the welding table, and yeah I know it's freakin galvanized. Life is full of risks deal with it and move on.

Meanwhile, back at the office...

Grinder Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
steel 35

[QUOTE=onemoretry;1381535]I have been playing with a couple of new toys: 1. Google sketchup, 2. A 110V Lincoln MIG, and 3. a new Hypertherm 45.
Thanks for the (Sketchup) never heard of it I would hope its easier then CAD 3D Will be digging into it toward the end of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder Bill View Post
Exhaust in the table thats some fancy stuff right there. that may be a good enough reason to build a table to cut it on purpose although I learned long ago to hang it over the edge! Or draw it and let the water jet boys cut it without the shakes
steel 35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
onemoretry

Good points about the plasma set up...
If I do end up making a plasma table, I will also consider the water drawer under the table. I know all of the CNC guys use a water pan. I doubt that I will run as much as they do though. If I use it for only welding then I'll have a drawer for clamps...
Keep the ideas coming. Although I want a functional table system, I am also interested in learning more about design planning and practicing with the welder, so adding more complexity would be just for fun...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
autoclassicnut

Here's a good one on another site....http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ng-table-build
autoclassicnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
wishihadatalon

here is the table I am currently building. 3/8" top, 3/16" wall tubing, etc

Here is the table top. Plasma pierce on the right and drilled on the left

and with the top on.

I will post some other stuff like my cad drawings/prints and a picture of the load calc that I ran on it later.
wishihadatalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
GarageEnvy

Alright, you guys inspired me to take a crack at google sketchup. I never got anywhere learning autocad but I'd have to say sketchup is pretty easy to learn. Here's my first crack at the welding table I just built. The only thing I did was alter the height. I made it 42" (long story) but it's way too tall so I'll be cutting it down to 36" to 38" height. Originally I had one spreader bar between the legs but switched to two for shelf support and to ditch my caster idea. Originally I was going to mount a trailer jack on each end and have tubing with caster slide over the legs to raise and lower it. But since I have a lift cart, I just made sure the bars were high enough to clear my cart. I have a tendency to get too cute with my designs. I put in fancy whiz-bang features thinking I'll use them and I don't. I don't do enough plasma work to justify a dedicated table and at least for me, there'd be enough junk on the welding table during a project that I wouldn't want to take the time to flip those plates over. If you need a dedicated plasma area why not make those the flip up part and keep the welding table solid. This is my first sketch so bare with me but the receiver tube doubles as a holder for my clamp rack. I had an old prop shaft remnant so I didn't go all the way across with it.

GarageEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
onemoretry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadatalon View Post
here is the table I am currently building. 3/8" top, 3/16" wall tubing, etc

Here is the table top. Plasma pierce on the right and drilled on the left

and with the top on.

I will post some other stuff like my cad drawings/prints and a picture of the load calc that I ran on it later.
Any chance of getting the pictures back?