Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
scott37300

Default SK 43875 ratchet help

I have an SK43875 roto head ratchet.

If I tighten the top allen screw all the way it won't turn. If I losen it just a little, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn it works fine but the square drive feels pretty loose to me. Does anyone have experience with how these ratchetes work?

The gears looked so so when I took it apart. I emailed SK to see about a rebuild kit but they never emailed me back so I figured I would wait till they get up and running and try again then.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
airbuff101

Default Re: SK 43875 ratchet help

Pretty common situation with the "Tuff-one" head ratchets.
The original (and kit) screws came with a blue vibra-tite(semi-hard loctite) type compound on the threads.
They needed to be backed off very slightly to function properly but didn't stay that way very long in real use.
I loved the way they felt, yet grew to hate them in the real world.
Never had that problem with the Facoms though.
AB
airbuff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
scott37300

I noticed the blue loctite on the screw. I was going to put some on after I figured out if I put it back correctly or not. When I back it out it works fine, just thought it had more play than before but I could be wrong. I will loctite the screw tomorrow and back it off just a hair.

Hopefully SK will have rebuild kits available when they start production back up. I was kind of dissapointed they didn't at least return my email but I'm sure they are still trying to get everything together.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

The tough one series ratchets aren't being remade, or at least they're not listed in the online catalog. Does the ratchet change direction ok? there's a pin on the underside of the direction switch that needs to be inside the heart shaped spring for it to work right.
There's a sweet spot when tightening and loosening the screw. You want to find the best combination of freedom of rotation with minimal in and out movement (slop). Loctite or similiar is essential.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
airbuff101

Yup Fedwrench, I agree.
That damn pin in the cap was the biggest problem in rebuilding that series.
The kits didn't include the Cap!... just the spring, pawl & screw.
The pin would hog out and wobble when techs would get all Burly with it......
I bitched to SK several times to no avail.....
AB
airbuff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
mikevango

Mmmmm sweet spot
mikevango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
scott37300

Fedwrench, that's a bummer to hear they aren't going to continue making these. I like this ratchet. They show a 3870, not sure how close in design it is but it looks very similar and is close in size. Wonder if they will use the same internals? Maybe I will try to call them and see if they be chance have any rebuild kits available just to have one on hand in case they become no longer availble, if they haven't already.

I did line the pin up in that little wire spring thingy. I think the loctite and finding the "sweet spot" is the key. I figured the loctite was needed after seeing it was on there before but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong before applying the loctite.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
SMKS

The directions say to tighten the screw all the way down, then back it off 1/4 of a turn.

This comes from the instructions included with a Mac ratchet I had. It was the exact same design, because Stanley now owns Facom.
SMKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
Fedwrench, that's a bummer to hear they aren't going to continue making these. I like this ratchet. They show a 3870, not sure how close in design it is but it looks very similar and is close in size. Wonder if they will use the same internals?
Afraid not. The tough one series has a 72 tooth action whereas the 3870 is based on their professional series ratchets with 40 some odd teeth. The 3870 is a great classic ratchet design that is probably the grand daddy of roto ratchets that is virtually bulletproof.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
Fedwrench, that's a bummer to hear they aren't going to continue making these. I like this ratchet. They show a 3870, not sure how close in design it is but it looks very similar and is close in size. Wonder if they will use the same internals? Maybe I will try to call them and see if they be chance have any rebuild kits available just to have one on hand in case they become no longer availble, if they haven't already.

I did line the pin up in that little wire spring thingy. I think the loctite and finding the "sweet spot" is the key. I figured the loctite was needed after seeing it was on there before but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong before applying the loctite.
Tuff 1 ratchets were produced under license in conjunction with Facom back when both companies were together. Since then SK has gone bust and Facom was purchased by Stanley. Unless Ideal [operators of the new SK] enter into contracts with Stanley i dont think you'll be seeing any ratchets or kits for Tuff 1 ratchets from them. However i would not be surprised if you could find a compatable rebuild kit either from Facom or Stanley. There are also NOS SK brand kits available on the web, p/n 45175-2.

Last edited by Skin; 03-12-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Afraid not. The tough one series has a 72 tooth action whereas the 3870 is based on their professional series ratchets with 40 some odd teeth. The 3870 is a great classic ratchet design that is probably the grand daddy of roto ratchets that is virtually bulletproof.
Looks like I need to try and track down a rebuild kit for the 43875 so it doesn't become scrape metal if it ever needs a kit. I like the fine tooth count in this ratchet, it's not a go to ratchet but it is nice to use. Wonder what SK would do if I ever needed to warranty this ratchet, would they replace it with the 3870?

And congrats on your 5000 post Fedwrench, it's at 4999 but figure it will break 5000 today!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
scott37300

Amazon has rebuild kits but they are 22 bucks!

Considering the sk 3870 is only 50-60 bucks the rebuild kit would be pretty close to half the cost of a new ratchet.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
AZ_Catskinner

They'd probably warranty it out with a 3870, which to me is a far superior ratchet. The standard SK Professional Series ratchet isn't going to do much for the tooth count arms race, but they'll still be kicking when most of us aren't.
AZ_Catskinner is offline   Reply With Quote