Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
KGorney

Default Husky Pro 6.5HP 60 Gal Any good?

Is the Husky Pro 6.5 hp, 60 gallon model #vt631402aj compressor any good for general garage tool - impact, sprayer, etc.
I found a deal on one that is a year old for $300. I'm still finishing my garage so I don't have the extra cash to get a new 2 stage which is my ultimate goal, so I'm looking for a good general purpose compressor to fill the void in the meantime.
I realize it's a single stage not built for high volume work like sandblasting, but I'm OK with that for now. I just want something decent that isn't going to give me a lot of quality issues.
Any one using one now with any regularity? Any experiences?

Last edited by KGorney; 05-16-2007 at 12:23 PM.
KGorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Flathead Youngin'

Default Re: Husky Pro 6.5HP 60 Gal Any good?

if you are strapped for cash and not going to be using it for sandblasting, i'd say go for it!

it's always a balance of what we really want and how much we can afford..........a medium duty/sized air compressor is better than none....

besied, if you are just pumping tires and running an impact on occasion, that compressor for $300 would be hard to beat.....unless it has a lot of hours on it....
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
KGorney

No one has had any experience with this compressor?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Flathead Youngin'

i think the husky compressors that are being carried at the big box stores right now are fairly new to the market......i'd take a guess that they are all still running fine.......so everyone's "experience" will probably be positive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGorney View Post
No one has had any experience with this compressor?
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Major Ramifications

The Husky line is made by Campbell Hausfeld. CH has been around for something like 180 years and makes quality products. Many of their compressors are now being made in China, but the last VT (vertical twin) model we got was still all American. I have had mine for many years, and it does everything you want to do well, except it runs pretty hard when I sandblast.
As far as if it is a good deal, doesn't HD sell these for $399? I was at the local HD one day and they had one of these marked down to $199! I called everyone I knew who might want one, but I couldn't find anyone who needed it. It was gone the next time I went back. If it has had little use, it sounds like $300 would be a fair price. I would try to see if he will negotiate a bit.
Major Ramifications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
jpekarek

Mt friend Bernie has the same unit. He paints cars with it and loves it. He has had no problems at all. It is actually a little overkill for home use.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
KGorney

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it would be worth the money if I can get him down a bit.
I don't think it will be overkill for me. I use a sandblaster quite frequently, or at least I did until my other compressor gave up, so what I really need is a high volume, high psi unit. It's on the list, just not at the top. I just need a unit for basic work for now - running air tools, pumping tires, spraying paint, etc until I'm ready to get a good 2 stage.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
PoorOwner

Very attractive price, since I will be doing sand blasting, I got a 2 stage 80 gal 175 PSI unit. But it's twice as much as this one, not twice as much air though.

Here is an idea... if you have space just get another one of these later and run them parallel, you will have more air (spec wise) than my 2 stage unit!
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
RickP330

I had the CH model and it was junk. Motors kept frying up and I wound up buying a Quincy. I don't want to start any wars here, but you asked for my experience. I had to take it back to HD. I would never buy one again.
Rick
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
KGorney

Well, I picked it up for $250. I figured at that price it's worth a try. It came with a regulator, filter, and 50 foot hose. It looks brand new, ran fine, sounded fairly quiet and smooth, and there were no leaks. If it lasts me a couple years, at least, I'll be happy. Then I'll move up to a brand name 2 stage high volume unit.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
gbick

Looked at husky at HD. Made in USA is cast prominently on the pump on the display compressor. I said "Load one onto my truck." Got it home and unloaded and was telling my neighbor how nice it was to still find this stuff American made. Well, the one I brought home has a Chinese made pump. So back onto the truck it goes and away we go, back to Home Chino. When I informed them why it was comming back(deceptive advertising), the "Answer Lady" informed me that all air compressors are imported now, and the display models are outdated. I went elsewhere and bought an Ingersol Rand. Yes I paid more, but I felt better and am quite sure I got a better tool. (I do quite a bit of sandblasting). Just the other day, I checked, and they are still displaying the MADE IN USA models.
gbick is offline   Reply With Quote