Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
sids04

Default GM 5.7 Vortec engine experiences ?

I bought a 2000 K-2500 pick up last year. So far so good I have put 10k on it. It now has like 124k. The truck was super clean and not used commercially. The other morning I started it up and it had a bear of a rocker arm/lifter tap. I shut it off and checked the oil. It was down about a quart and a half. I had taken a long road trip last weekend. I checked the oil before I returned home and it was fine. The return trip was 360 miles. The truck never used oil in the past. So anyway I topped off the oil, and refired it and still was ticking. So I figured screw I'll drive it a bit, It's a small block Chevy, every one I have ever owned eventually ticked anyway. After about a mile it was back to it's old quiet self.
When I went to lunch it was quiet, when I left to come home it ticked again. I stopped checked the oil level and it was fine. I drove a short ways and it quieted down again. It sat all last night, I started it and it was quiet as normal. So I changed the oil today, still quiet,. There were no drivabilty issues like a broken rocker, or a collapsed lifter would cause.
I have heard from several people that this engine is a POS, and they are hard to find rebuilt or crate replacements for. Any experiences good or bad ? please share..
Thanks
sids04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
fflintstone

Default Re: GM 5.7 Vortec engine experiences ?

The 2000 model year was the very last of the outstanding small block Chevy V8’s in the HD truck line. I have the same engine in my 2000 C3500. The old style small block Chevy is the most common V8 in the world. Who ever told you about replacement issues is pulling your leg.
BTW mine is GREAT! but it leads a sheltered life.
fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
jay50
Banned

Intake manifold gasket failures almost 100% failure on these\, typically around 70,00 miles.
Check for coolant leaks at gasket area behind ac compressor and alternator; most common area. Have found a few leaks at rear of manifold running down backside of block/bellhousing area.

If leaks, get this fixed before you get oil/coolant mixture inside your engine.
Use only Felpro Problem solver gasket for this repair.

Last edited by jay50; 03-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Mavawreck

We used to have them in our work trucks, maintained but not babied, they would go several hundred thousand miles. They got a bit noisier, the transmissions sometimes died, the interiors fell apart, dash lights and gauges stopped working, but the engines kept running.

http://instagram.com/goodeintentionspavingco/
Mavawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
35mastr

They are good engines and still plentiful. I buy all my all small block chevys at SDparts. They are all new not rebuilt. There prices are had to beat.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
toxicz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids04 View Post
I have heard from several people that this engine is a POS, and they are hard to find rebuilt or crate replacements for. Any experiences good or bad ? please share..
Thanks
The small block Chevy engine (GenI) ran from 1955-2002. Hardly a POS by any means. Whoever is giving you this information, needs to find different Kool-aid to drink.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
jay50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicz28 View Post
The small block Chevy engine (GenI) ran from 1955-2002. Hardly a POS by any means. Whoever is giving you this information, needs to find different Kool-aid to drink.
Yeah, probably some Pford dude trying to stir up some shit with yah
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
sids04

Thanks for you responses so far. I know the 350 was the same basic engine from 1955 (gen1) engine, I have owned many in the last 30 years and quite frankly I have been unsuccessful blowing any up. I wasn't sure if there were any differences in the end of their production run. I had noticed that I never see applications for my year in any GM crate engine adverts. If this baby blows and I can't find a decent replacement I will convert to a gen3/ls 6.0 . My step dad's 6.0 2500 is kick ass and I love my LS1/GTO.
sids04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
wafrederick

Fel Pro even has the upgraded intake gaskets and Jasper uses them in gasket sets for their remans.The factory water fitting on the right front is a piece of crap made out of pot metal and the replacement is made out of steel.If you ever hear anyone saying you can use a timing to set the timing on the is wrong.Timing is not adjustable and the distribitor is set with a scan tool.You go into the data stream looking for CMP retard and the spec is 0 degrees.Plus some people put the cylinder heads on the older small block chevy engines gaining 50 horsepower.The vortec 350 heads have a saw tooth pattern on the cylinder heads.A special intake is needed for the carb set up.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
mrsleeve
Banned

My 350 in the little womans 99 thaoe , is just as quiet as can be, but I run 10w/30 rather than the prescribed 5w/30. As in the summer time especially with the 5/30 it has a little bit of valve train chatter (normal for nearly all late production 350's in my experience). I would not worry about till it becomes much more serious sounding

And like stated above I have never Blown up a Gen 1 small block (that was stock anyway) and not from a lack of trying either. And again the 350 is the most prolific V8 in the world, you will never have a hard time sourcing parts or rebuild no matter where you are.

Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-12-2011 at 03:15 PM.
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
wafrederick

Plus most of the parts are dirt cheap which is an avantage of a small block Chevy.Includes parts interchange too and are cheap to build.I wonder why you see a small block chevy in a Ford street rods including the 1940 and 1950s Fords.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
wakeboarder311

i had 190,000 on mine before rebuild the only reason for the rebuild was i blew the tranny up and while i had it apart i needed to replace one head gasket that had been leaking outside the block. it is a 97 and i had to replace the heads due to both of them having cracks. even with to cracked heads and a bad head gasket you would never know it plowed snow and towed my 24 ft enclosed trailer with ease. i am going to run this truck till there is nothing left.
wakeboarder311 is offline   Reply With Quote