Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Toolhorder

Default How long before tile thin set is good enough for grout?

I'm currently remodeling my laundry room. Last Saturday I took out the washer/dryer/waterheater and ripped up the lino/plywood underfloor to subfloor. Installed hardybacker and then painted the interior walls and layed tile in two sessions. First I layed out the middle "main" section and then came back and did the "outside" sections to the walls. I did the tile in triangle sections rather than simple horizonal squares.

The thin set says 24 hours before you can walk on it. It's been about 16 hours and I'm wanting to grout. The tile looks fine and I've walked on it without issues. I need to get the water heater in so my family can take warm showers and do dishes..

What do you tile experts think?
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
jktruck150

Default Re: How long before tile thin set is good enough for grout?

Here was my timeline for my laundry room.
Fri. Eliminated everything within room, removed lino, set backerboard and tiled on Friday afternoon. (I only had a 8x8 room). Finished around 10pm.
Sat: Grouted in evening (roughly 18 hours of cure on the thin set).
Sun: Moved in the water heater and washer/dryer on sunday afternoon. (15-16 hours cure on grout) I did spray the sealer on the grout sunday afternoon and allowed it to dry for a couple of hours first.

I never had a problem and that was done 2 years ago.

"It's so overt, it's covert!" - Sherlock Holmes
jktruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
maxwedge

Default Re: How long before tile thin set is good enough for grout?

As long as the tile isn't moving you are fine, just be very careful walking on them and avoid twisting motions for 24hrs. I used to lay tile for a living and there have been several times I grouted tile that was laid within 45 minutes and was still soft and movable...not ideal for working, but I never had any problems later. If you can walk on it, you are fine.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote