Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
haugy

Default How do you seal or put up a roof vent on corrugated steel?

I've got corrugated (ridged) siding and the same on the roof of my shop.

I'm going to put in a ceiling and insulate so I need to vent the roof. My concern is making sure I can actually seal it up from water.

I can't find anything that works for that. Anyone have any recommendations or tips on what they did? I can't be the only one that has deal with this.

I can only put one vent on one gable end due to wind and rain direction will surely come in the other one.

Please help as this is the last hurdle in finishing out my shop build.
haugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
sammm

Default Re: How do you seal or put up a roof vent on corrugated steel?

Couldn't you use 100% silicone or roofing mastic, or are you going to have big gaps to fill?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
csp

Given the fact that there are countless varieties of "corrugated" steel panels, pictures sure would help.

When I hear corrugated, I think of this stuff but I don't beleive your shop to be made with this material.

csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammm View Post
Couldn't you use 100% silicone or roofing mastic, or are you going to have big gaps to fill?
Well seeing as how I tried that with my windows, thought everything was good, and just found a leak somehow seeping through the back wall. After insulation, drywall, and the last coat of paint today. DAMN!! The leak finally shows up after it's all closed. I had used lots of silicone to seal that thing up as best as I can while still creating a channel for water to flow down. Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Given the fact that there are countless varieties of "corrugated" steel panels, pictures sure would help.

When I hear corrugated, I think of this stuff but I don't beleive your shop to be made with this material.

Yeah, I'll take a pic after this monsoon passes and post it. It's similar to what you posted with larger gaps between the ridges, and galvalumed.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
CADPoint

I would take some light cardboard out there and a pair of scissors and cut to match the flutes. In bending a piece of metal you have to increase just a tad for the metal to "Travel" the bend of itself and maintain the desired
profile of the the flute your trying to match. for conversation it's marginal in you case by still exists as a consideration.

Take a 1/4" or 1/2" round piece of something to bend your tab over.
fold the metal into the flute and silicon then blast it with expanding foam from the inside after it's cure.. paint to suit.
CADPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
DOUGD

I used a couple of inexpensive roof vents from lowes or Home Depot. They are of course flat on the bottom,my roof is called U panel and has raised ribs at about 6 inches apart. I placed the top edge of the vent under the roofs ridge cap and the vent sits on top of three ribs. Used a large hole saw and placed several carefully drilled holes in the roof panel under the vent,it is attached with lap screws,vents well,matches the roof color and is leak free. hope this makes senses,easier done than said.
DOUGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGD View Post
I used a couple of inexpensive roof vents from lowes or Home Depot. They are of course flat on the bottom,my roof is called U panel and has raised ribs at about 6 inches apart. I placed the top edge of the vent under the roofs ridge cap and the vent sits on top of three ribs. Used a large hole saw and placed several carefully drilled holes in the roof panel under the vent,it is attached with lap screws,vents well,matches the roof color and is leak free. hope this makes senses,easier done than said.
That does make sense, and I like the idea of putting under the lip to cover the top edge. But when you say you drilled several holes, were those for venting or for mounting? And with the raised ribs how did you seal up the spot where the roof vents into the vent? Or did you put holes on top of the ribs under the vent so they are they highest point? I could see that working, I think.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
6768rogues

Impossible. Put in gable vents or triangular gable vents in the peaks.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
DOUGD

The large holes made with the hole saw are for venting,mounting was done with the gasketed lap screws same as the roof panels. the gap at the bottom edge between the vent and ribs can be sealed with a piece of foam closure strip that is made to match you roof panel.
DOUGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
E.rodz

check menards they definitly make something for a flexible rubber boot for this it has a aluminum trim around the base that you can conform to the contours of the ribs. pro rib is also a siding company that might have some answers for you. I do know there is something for this.
http://www.ErodzCustoms.com
Follow the Belair Build!!
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ner&highlight=
E.rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
crazy wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rodz View Post
check menards they definitly make something for a flexible rubber boot for this it has a aluminum trim around the base that you can conform to the contours of the ribs. pro rib is also a siding company that might have some answers for you. I do know there is something for this.
I might be misunderstanding but....

I think you might be thinking of a deck tite flashing for like a furnace vent. Similar to this http://www.bestmaterials.com/masterf...materials.aspx

If I understand the original post, He is want to vent the attic, not an appliance.

I'd talk to a company that builds metal buildings, they would know how to properly flash in windows and gable vents.
crazy wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768rogues View Post
Can only put in one Gable vent. If I put one on the west facing side it will be bombarded with water from the easterly wind we get. There is no way I'm putting a hole in that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGD View Post
The large holes made with the hole saw are for venting,mounting was done with the gasketed lap screws same as the roof panels. the gap at the bottom edge between the vent and ribs can be sealed with a piece of foam closure strip that is made to match you roof panel.
I see what you are saying. Seal up the sides by using the raised ridges as sides, and then a closure strip for the bottom. I'll look into that, it sounds plausible and makes sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rodz View Post
I'll look into that thanks. Does Menards ship? We don't have them around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy wheel View Post
I'd talk to a company that builds metal buildings, they would know how to properly flash in windows and gable vents.
Well I would talk to the guys who built my shop, but seeing as how I'm trying to fix their leaky window I doubt they'll be much help. All they recommend are ridge vents or cupolas.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
crazy wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haugy View Post

Well I would talk to the guys who built my shop, but seeing as how I'm trying to fix their leaky window I doubt they'll be much help. All they recommend are ridge vents or cupolas.
Hmmm, seems they are lacking in there ability to properly install flashing.

Do you know someone local that owns/works in a sheet metal shop? Maybe they could give you some advise or bend up the proper flashing.
crazy wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
ishiboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768rogues View Post
I think that's probably the most accurate answer The peak vents are most common around here anyway now.

Otherwise look at the "Universal Pipe Flashing" products like Dek-Cap (http://www.itwbuildex.com/gcs_flashings_dekcap.shtml). Google for Universal Pipe Flashing. Still at the peril of the rubber gasket or whatever you smear them with
ishiboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
haugy

Well again, putting one gable vent will be pretty useless.

The lower sides of my shop are open (Not sealed) so they are like a soffit. So by putting up two roof vents up high that should help ventilate enough.

At least that sounds plausible.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
rvr6000

What to you have for a ridge cap and is the roofing sealed on the bottom as well?

Would you not get enough ventillation through the ridges of the roofing itself?
rvr6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr6000 View Post
What to you have for a ridge cap and is the roofing sealed on the bottom as well?

Would you not get enough ventillation through the ridges of the roofing itself?
The ridge cap is vented, but I was told by the insulation guy it wouldn't be enough. I thought it would be alright as well, but I'm new to all this so I want to make sure.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
mark52621

Your should get a black foam in a roll that goes between the ridge cap and the roof. This is the only venting steel roofs get around here.
mark52621 is offline   Reply With Quote