Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Lump
Super Moderator

Default Green USA-made floor jack...missing post?

The other day I saw a post about someone who had bought a used green-painted floor jack, and wondered if it might be made in Japan. Seems they had heard that a bunch of floor jacks were made in Japan years ago, and painted green. But I thought I recognized his jack, and went out to the garage the next day and took a photo or two. But now I cannot find that post. Did anyone else see it?

Anyway, I was right, I think. His floor jack looks just like mine, right down to the same shade of metallic green paint. But I bought mine brand new in about 1975, right off a Snap On truck. I told the driver that I really needed a good floor jack for use at home, but didn't have a lot of money. He sold me a green and yellow "AJAX" floor jack, and confided in me that it was really just a Walker brand jack, sold by another brand name so Walker could be price-competitive without undermining the value of their Walker brand jacks (Walkers were painted blue at the time, with identical yellow handles).

Here is a pic of my old Ajax:

My jack doesn't work anymore. I think it only needs to be refilled, but the fill plug on this one was originally made of plastic, and it shattered and fell off while a friend was borrowing it (my handle also got bent. Sigh. ). So now I need to find a brass fitting to plug it with, and fill it with hydraulic oil and see if it works or not.

I've used this old jack for many years, on hot rods, race cars, antiques, lawn tractors, and...well, just about everything. So I am determined to keep it.
In this photo you can see the hole where the plastic fill plug was. (Just below the hooked end of the spring).

You can still sorta read the old "AJAX" decal on the top. But there has been a lot of work done on and around this old jack, and it's been scarred up a bit over the years.

Here is the view from underneath.

I wish I could find that other post. It would have been cool to share my story about this old jack with whoever that poster was, to give him some insight about his own new jack.

Do any of you guys have similar Ajax floor jacks? Is this jack truly just a Walker with different paint color?

Hiball...what can you tell me...if you don't mind?

Last edited by Lump; 03-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Bull
Super Moderator

Default Re: Green USA-made floor jack...missing post?

It's not this one, is it?

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ight=blackhawk

EUDAIMONIA
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Lump
Super Moderator

Default Re: Green USA-made floor jack...missing post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post

No, but thanks for trying to help. The other thread featured a headline with something about "green jack" and "is it made in Japan?"

I couldn't find it. Who knows? It's late, and I've got to turn in, but tomorrow I'll post pix of my dad's old Blackhawk SJ-2 floor jack. Someone on YOUR thread about the Blackhawk hydraulic equipment catalog asked to see pix of my jack, but I failed to read that until today.

Thanks again!