Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Rockerbox1

Default tillers for tractors

I just got a Husqvarna lawn tractor a couple weeks ago, 24 hp 54 inch deck
model YTH24v54 or something like that ( I know it starts with YT and has 24 and 54 in it)
It is not equiped with a PTO for accessories, does anyone know if a rear mount roto tiller exists that can be attached to a lawn tractor and run off a belt?

I have seen some of the pull behind discs or cultivators, they seem reasonably priced, but do those things actually do any good for a regular vegetable garden?
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
rburke65

Default Re: tillers for tractors

I don't think that it would have the traction to utilize a tiller. You could ask where you bought it and see if they sell attachments for it. I don't think just because they put "Tractor" in the name indicates that you can go out and 'plow the lower 40'. Google is your friend.
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Diesel-Mech

Your best bet would be a tow behind tiller with its own pony engine.

Like so. http://www.drpower.com/Roto-Tiller_features.aspx
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
RPH

They have tow behind tillers for small garden tractors. They have their own engine mounted. DR has one but pricey. Sears too.
RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
trbomax

My 1973 Ford LGT165 has a rear pto.The shaft extends down the side of the tractor and is belt driven off the front of the motor. There is a magnectic clutch that runs the mower deck that has 2 pulleys on it,one for the deck and one for the PTO. The tiller gearbox has a short driveshaft with a keyed coupler that slides onto the PTO shaft. The tiller is (was,because it doesnt work anymore) a 48" chaincase unit and was lifted by the hyd deck lift. Its hard to find a little garden tractor thats made like these old ones were,I'm glade I kept it!

edit) it worked very well but being the dumb ass that I was in the 1970's, it let it sit outside when not in use and the houseing rotted out. I started to restore it about 15 yrs ago,but that ended up being an "unfinished project",of which i seem to have a lot of.

Last edited by trbomax; 03-24-2011 at 09:06 PM.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
theoldwizard1

Older "garden" tractors (like the mentioned Ford or Wheel Horse or Cub Cadet) were built to have a lot of different "attachments". Some were run by a pto shaft, some by belts and pulleys.

There are very few companies these days that build "garden" tractors that can power tillers, snow blowers, etc. These machines start at $3-$4,000 !
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
willy3486

I live in what it called the tree nursery capital of the world. When I got interested in looking for a tractor I thought about a small tractor so I asked a nurseryman about one. What he told me was for a hobbyist or gardening type person find a older tractor like the pre 70s type. I was looking for a old ford 8n or similar but inherited my dads old international 404. What I have found is that its not to bad costwise to use. And I have found a lot of implements at great prices used. So instead of buying one of those smaller type tractors I started looking at I could find a decent older tractor and get implements for less. See how the overall cost of the stuff is to see if its worth it in the long run. I have seen locally 4-5 feet tillers for my tractor used for about half of one of the smaller tillers that have their own motor.
willy3486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post
I live in what it called the tree nursery capital of the world. When I got interested in looking for a tractor I thought about a small tractor so I asked a nurseryman about one. What he told me was for a hobbyist or gardening type person find a older tractor like the pre 70s type. I was looking for a old ford 8n or similar but inherited my dads old international 404. What I have found is that its not to bad costwise to use. And I have found a lot of implements at great prices used. So instead of buying one of those smaller type tractors I started looking at I could find a decent older tractor and get implements for less. See how the overall cost of the stuff is to see if its worth it in the long run. I have seen locally 4-5 feet tillers for my tractor used for about half of one of the smaller tillers that have their own motor.
8n's are horrible tiller tractors.

Second, you're going to beat the piss out of a lawn mower, even with a tiller with it's own engine. They aren't made for it. Get a real garden tractor that can run one. Even my 900 pound garden tractor will get pushed around pretty good. At least it goes straight, with a mounted tiller. god only knows where you'll go with a pull type.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
8n's are horrible tiller tractors.

Second, you're going to beat the piss out of a lawn mower, even with a tiller with it's own engine. They aren't made for it. Get a real garden tractor that can run one. Even my 900 pound garden tractor will get pushed around pretty good. At least it goes straight, with a mounted tiller.
+1 !

Older (60s-80s) Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet and John Deere can still be found doing "real work", plowing (!), tilling, pushing and blowing snow. Unless you have a really huge garden you can probably get away with only 12-16hp. Some of those "older" tractors even have hydrostatic drive ("automatic" transmission).
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
4StarCstms

I love my WH for tilling .... was a bit of a chore tracking one down, had to drive clear to the other side of West VA, but it was worth it.

"from the old house in town"

Bad Company - A one way ticket to the dark side!
A promise not kept, is the road to exile!
It Ain't real music without guitars!
It's not what your wallet bought, but what your two hands built!
4StarCstms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Case IH

Just don't put too much too much weight in the Pull behind types....my bosses dad came to borrow one from work and insisted on putting 6 tractor weights on it even tho we told him it would break.... We then told him to just bring it to the shop when it breaks...that's where it was a while later so just dont put 600# on it

Last edited by Case IH; 03-25-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Case IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
cowboy73

I would probably just buy a regular tiller not one to pull behind a lawn tractor. Easier to store and parts are probably easier to obtain. And if you want to till up some dirt for a friend or family, you only have one machine to transport not two.

My dad has a rear tine tiller and it does a great job. Even an old front tine tiller will tear up dirt for a garden. The front tine ones just have to be ran through the garden a few more times to really break up the dirt.
cowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
Rockerbox1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StarCstms View Post
I love my WH for tilling .... was a bit of a chore tracking one down, had to drive clear to the other side of West VA, but it was worth it.

"from the old house in town"

So that's what those extra pulleys were for....
My Grandad had a big 1977 wheel horse that had those external drive pulleys on it, he never used the thing for anything other than mowing so I never knew why they were there.
He sold it several years before he died, and a year after he died my Grandma sold his 88 (maybe it was 87) wheelhorse and bought a big cub cadet.

ANd I also agree with a few other posts on here, seperate tiller will be fine. We have a big garden planned, but hell, a stand alone tiller will take up just as much space in shed at a tow behind, and cheaper too.
I have a small 2 cycle mini Eathquake tiller, that will be great for going between rows occassionally, but man, that thing couldn't cut sod to save it's life. Ground has never been worked before, too big of a job for the earthquake. Good machine, don't get me wrong, but it would be like using a tampon for a bloody nose, sure, it may eventually get the job done, but it's just not the right tool for the job
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
4StarCstms

Wheel Horse engineers could have put a man on the moon using only a oxygen Tank and a Vbelt ....

The Pull Behind Units are okay, just kinda light. Northern Tool has this Agri Fab unit for ... 1,299 ouch!

Bad Company - A one way ticket to the dark side!
A promise not kept, is the road to exile!
It Ain't real music without guitars!
It's not what your wallet bought, but what your two hands built!

Last edited by 4StarCstms; 03-25-2011 at 04:32 PM.
4StarCstms is offline   Reply With Quote