Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
overdriv

Default Painting OSB walls, what to use

I have OSB on my walls. Please no lectures why Drywall is better. Let's leave it at, each to his own.

Can someone suggest a white paint that will cover in at least 2 coats? That's a primer coat and a finish coat. No doubt to much to ask for one coat coverage on OSB.

I bought some of Menards Conco brand. Three coats how ever you want to do it. Some places 4 coats. It doesn't seem like good paint to me.

Any suggestions?

ETA; I'm using rollers.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Neura

Default Re: Painting OSB walls, what to use

look for killz primer sealer works really well on OSB, and then use Exterior paint over top, interior paint just soaks into the OSB too much. or you could use exterior paint with primer in it and get it covered in 2 coats.
Neura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
stevefasano

removed due to

Last edited by stevefasano; 03-23-2012 at 03:07 AM.
stevefasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
jam92102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neura View Post
look for killz primer sealer works really well on OSB, and then use Exterior paint over top, interior paint just soaks into the OSB too much. or you could use exterior paint with primer in it and get it covered in 2 coats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefasano View Post
Oil base yes .. not water base..

Exactly on both. I have osb and used killz primer and exterior paint both oil based. I will warn you it smells awful until it all dries. My wife bitched for about a week!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
ishiboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam92102 View Post
Exactly on both. I have osb and used killz primer and exterior paint both oil based. I will warn you it smells awful until it all dries. My wife bitched for about a week!
Agreed... the Cover Stain works great. Down the line, Menards sells a cheap drywall paint/primer in a 5 gallon pail that seems to work well on drywall, perhaps it'd do a decent job sealing OSB as well.

Remember to get some mineral spirits, or buy cheap rollers and toss em since the surface finish on OSB doesn't matter anyway - I got used to cleaning up latex so the last time I used it I was caught with my pants down.

In terms of Menards, Conco is actually a separate brand, but Dutch Boy and Pittsburgh are not. The Dutch Boy has horrible coverage. The Grand Distinctions by Pittsburgh is a better paint, close to the Valspar premium that Lowes sells. Better coverage by far. Learned that all from my painter. Once you paint a couple walls, you can see the difference in coverage and realize how toss-away rollers, brushes, and cheap paint costs you more money almost every time.
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
RoofDude

Ditto on the Kilz. I originally had OSB on my walls. like others, kilz primer, & exterior paint... no problem. Other than the odor.
RoofDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Stinger

IMO, there is no way in hell you'll get full coverage in 2 coats. I used kilz and put it on heavy and you could still see the paint on the osb through the primer. Tried to put paint over it and there was no way in hell it was going to work. Another coat of Kilz (three coats of kilz in some areas) and it was finally ready for paint. Still took 2-3 coats of paint though to get 100% coverage.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
walrus

I used oil based kilz and then a good quality interior paint. I think it took 3 coats though, one of the kilz and 2 latex
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Gary S

If I remember right, I used the Menards Conco brand too. I got excellent coverage with two coats.
The first coat needs to be their OIL based sealer-primer, not the water based one.
The second coat I used was the Conco exterior gloss latex white.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Menards Conco brand.?? Is that the stuff that goes on sale for 20 or 40 a 5 gal bucket ? I used some of that stuff and it was crap.

I used oil based Kilz, two coats on the ceiling , done. 2 coats on dark gray oil based paint, done.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
holdover

I used the lowes and HD egg shell white about 30-35 per 5 gal, rolled on a good heavy coat, about hour later hit it again, coverage was good
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
metalbasher

2 coats of latex kilz and 2 coats of semi gloss latex ext white on ceiling and walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bodywork 011.jpg (137.8 KB, 263 views)
metalbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
flatheadguy

This is sorta like asking someone what time it is. And they tell you how to build a wrist watch. So many opinions here that I gave up and did what my gut told me. So, here is my solution....
Kilz oil base primer. One coat
Exterior latex - two coats Actually, two tone with a 6 inch stripe divider.
All rolled on. Even though the primer did not hide every bit of the OSB, it did the job. Then the two coats of paint really did it for me. It looks great!! No OSB bleed through.
I would not hesitate to do it again.
Best of luck and enjoy the building.
flatheadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Defender Chassis

Only chance you have for two coats is one coat of block filler and a top coat of a good latex. What color? If anything but white you should have the block filler tinted to within a couple shades of the final.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
toolman1967

Getting ready to do mine this summer also, has anyone sprayed it on. I have used Kilz in the past and was really happy with the product but have never sprayed it.
toolman1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
mark52621

I got mine covered in two coats. I used 1, 2, 3 primer and white barn paint from home depot.
mark52621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #17
Dominico

My two cents...One coat Zinser Bullseye primer (oil or latex both covered well) with one coat Olympic latex paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished Garage 006.jpg (144.4 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Garage 003.jpg (148.4 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Garage 002.jpg (145.9 KB, 330 views)
Dominico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
thdewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I used oil based kilz and then a good quality interior paint. I think it took 3 coats though, one of the kilz and 2 latex
This is what I did. The third coat really just to get into the nooks and crannies. If you tine the primer to match the final coat you might not need a third coat. I also pre-primed the panels, caulked the seams and nail holes, and then finished with latex.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #19
Kevin54

If you are not worried about the walls being super smooth like drywall would be, and the OSB has a slight texture anyways, mix your paint with a couple of gallons of drywall topping compound. Mix it up well with a paddle mixer. You'll be surprised as to how well it covers and it will also make the walls more uniform looking.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Defender Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
If you are not worried about the walls being super smooth like drywall would be, and the OSB has a slight texture anyways, mix your paint with a couple of gallons of drywall topping compound. Mix it up well with a paddle mixer. You'll be surprised as to how well it covers and it will also make the walls more uniform looking.
That's basically what block filler is.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
wssix99

Lot's of good recommendations here and some... not so much.

The catch with OSB is that water is the enemy! Any moisture will cause strands to fall off or separate and then big issues with the look.

Sealing the front with a good quality oil-based primer like Kilz and an oil based paint is probably goodness - although you will probably need two coats of your top paint for a good finish. (This is one of a very few situations where I'd consider using an oil based paint.)

When you do this, beware that sealing the front will trap any moisture at the back of the boards. If you don't have a good vapor barrier behind the OSB and/or a good pathway for water to escape behind it, painting could create larger problems for you. If you can keep the boards dry, just about every paint will perform fine.
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #22
Gary S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
Lot's of good recommendations here and some... not so much.

The catch with OSB is that water is the enemy! Any moisture will cause strands to fall off or separate and then big issues with the look.

Sealing the front with a good quality oil-based primer like Kilz and an oil based paint is probably goodness - although you will probably need two coats of your top paint for a good finish. (This is one of a very few situations where I'd consider using an oil based paint.)

When you do this, beware that sealing the front will trap any moisture at the back of the boards. If you don't have a good vapor barrier behind the OSB and/or a good pathway for water to escape behind it, painting could create larger problems for you. If you can keep the boards dry, just about every paint will perform fine.

I agree that you need an oil based primer. OSB is made with water based glue and ink. You can expect that a water based primer will mix with the water based glue and ink. Oil based primer will not mix with water based substances once they are dry, so it makes a sealed barrier between the OSB's glue and ink and the top paint.
Once the oil primer dries, you can top coat with a single coat of either oil or latex. Again, the oil primer will not mix with the water based latex.
Even the cheapest paints will cover OSB beautifully with one primer coat of oil, and a top coat of latex. It is up to you if you choose to spend a lot more with overpriced brands, or by adding more coats, but you can get excellent results with a total of 2 coats if done right.
I didn't learn this on my own. I got it from a local professional painter who has been doing this for the past 60 years.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
gnxtc2

I also went with 2 coats of oil base Kilz, original formula. For the top coat I used Sherwin Williams Enamel (oil base). The SW paint covered in one coat. The bottom of the wall is 1/2 plywood.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00245-20110227-1505.jpg (144.0 KB, 233 views)
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #24
38Chevy454

Like many of the rest suggested, I used two coats of Kilz white. I sanded the OSB painted writing off before coating. Two heavy rolled coats did the job fine for a working garage. I did not put any topcoat, just the two heavy coats of Kilz. Might have been a few spots where I touched up thin areas with third coat, but that was my lack of heavy application on first two coats. The OSB texture deos show through still.

The Kilz was same cost as cheap latex, about $50 for 5 gal bucket. I used up almost 5 buckets doing my 26 x 48 x 12.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
overdriv

Thanks for the comments and advice. I will try the oil based Kilz on the last room.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
camperdan

Hey guys, Why can't you just use a good oil based paint instead of Kilzs.. That stuff goes on lIke glue and the roller actually pulls some of the OSB off.
camperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #27
texasguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominico View Post
My two cents...One coat Zinser Bullseye primer (oil or latex both covered well) with one coat Olympic latex paint.

dominico - excellent job. curious - is it your ceiling or walls that are OSB....or both? If the walls, how did you get such a clean cut on your stripes or are they not paint? Thanks
texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #28
jam92102

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdan View Post
Hey guys, Why can't you just use a good oil based paint instead of Kilzs.. That stuff goes on lIke glue and the roller actually pulls some of the OSB off.
It was the cheapest so that's why I used it. I rolled half and said screw that so then I used a paint gun with mine so it wasn't too bad at all.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
6768rogues

I used cheap white wall paint in 5 gallon buckets from the local seconds store. It took 3 coats, but it still looks good 10 years later. A few hours with a roller put on a coat in a 36 by 48 building.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
wssix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdan View Post
If you don't use a primer/sealer like Kilz, then the walls will soak up the regular paint like a sponge which will require more coats and some of the ink stamped in to the boards might even bleed through the paint.
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #31
Grinder Bill

One coat of tinted latex primer.

Grinder Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #32
dvracer4life

oat of kilz is all i needed
dvracer4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #33
babzog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neura View Post
I used kilz primer on mine, then two coats of the cheapest interior semi-gloss I found at HD. Looks great! Only the ceiling is done so far, but I'll be finishing the rest of the shop that way. The primer seals the wood so the paint won't soak in... two coats of finish do a good job of hiding the black markings on the board.
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
Dominico

texasguy - Ceiling and walls are OSB. The strips are painted. WhenI tried to do the stripes I used various brands of tapes and techniques as recommended on this site none really made a clean edge. Then it dawned on me....I ripped 1 x 6 pieces of wood to make a thin piece of lattice similar to the ceiling only the ceiling is 2 x 4 ripped on edge. I then painted them and tacked them above and below the center blue stripe. This covered any bleeding issues that I had from the tape. If you would like I can take a close up picture and post. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Dominico; 03-31-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Dominico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #35
jvitez

I actually like painting. But when I do, I want to do it once, do it right, and not do it again for a long time, if ever.....

I fully agree with oil based primer. I'd do one thick coat and reassess. You don't need primer to have high hiding properties unless you're changing colours dramatically, then tinting helps a lot. Primer is there to seal the wood and give adhesion to the top coat. I'd rather do 1 thick primer/2 top coats then 2 primer/1 top coat, as the colour should be more even. In reality, if I did it, I'd probably end up doing 2 primer/2 top coats, but that's my OCD.

My previous garage had unpainted year old drywall which already had some staining. I used a thick coat of stain blocking latex primer and 2 coats of upper level semi-gloss latex interior paint. 7 year later we sold the house and the paint looked good as new.

BTW, I'd use flat top coat on OSB. Semi-gloss would only accentuate the unevenness of the OSB flakes.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #36
babzog

I did 2 coats of primer on part of the ceiling and 1 on the rest. After two finish coats on all of it, my eyes can't see the difference.

I also like the semi-gloss because it's a bit harder (durability), it's shinier (more reflective) and, in theory, is more easily cleaned.
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #37
Onecat

Currently painting my OSB garage interior. Ceiling is done and the walls get primed tomorrow. Before starting the project, I did a test on a piece of leftover OSB using different techniques to see what worked best (for me). I found that what worked best was one coat of oil based primer and two coats of latex paint. I did have adequate coverage with one coat of primer and one coat of paint. However, I preferred the look of two coats of paint, as it covered the texture of the OSB to a greater degree.

I used Sherwin-Williams oil based primer and S-W latex paint.

Dan
Onecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
Berserker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
I have OSB on my walls. Please no lectures why Drywall is better. .
Drywall is for chick garages. Its not durable, and ends up looking dirty. But so will painted OSB.

The walls in my garage are OSB. No plans to paint. For the ceiling going to use plywood and stain it. I probably would have done the walls this way orginaly, but wasn't part of my plan at the times.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #39
overdriv

Well thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

I put one coat of Kilz, the original, then two coats of True Values best acrylic latex. It covered real well with just one finish coat, but looks better with two coats.

It is a lot better paint than the Conco at Menards, but $10 per gallon more expensive.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #40
camperdan

Well, after using the great advice gleaned from this forum I used 1 coat of oil based Kilz and 2 coats of interior latex.. (Olympic 15 year white semi gloss...12 gallons). I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks guys for helping with a big project!!!!
camperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
dirttracker18

I used 2 coats of white wood stain and it worked great. The first coat actually looked pretty good by itself.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #42
scuba0459

If you use Kiltz then I would suggest you go really light on the first coat. If you put the paint on thick then the ink will bleed thru.
scuba0459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #43
slush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder Bill View Post
One coat of tinted latex primer.

Who makes that upper level shelving?
slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #44
Shocker

I bet those are shelves from the NSG wire shelving that Costco carries.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #45
slush

hrmpf, can't find them out there.
slush is offline   Reply With Quote