Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
camnick

Default Kubota or New Holland Tractor

In a couple of months I will be purchasing a new tractor with a loader. I want something around 30hp. I am looking at the Kubota L2800 and the New Holland Boomer 30. I will be moving a lot of dirt, maintaining a gravel driveway, and landscaping. Can anyone give their opinions pro or cons about either tractor or manufacturer?
camnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default Re: Kubota or New Holland Tractor

What's the price for each?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
december45

Ive got a TC 30 New Holland, like the tractor alot, very very good on fuel. Mine doesnt have a loader and its only 2wh drive. Im pretty happy with NO hydrostat trans, the regular trans is the best in my opinion.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Scout Driver

The Kubota will hold its value better and will provide you better trade-in value in the future.

Scott
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

The Kubotas have a good rep, I don't think I ever heard a bad thing about them. What about a Deere ?

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
camnick

The New Holland is approximately $1000 cheaper right now since their running a special, but both are priced close to 19k. Unfortunately I have to wait a couple more months. I'm sure the sale will be over with by then.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
slip knot

I've heard a few bad issues with some of the New holland tractors. Dont have any 1st hand info on the Boomers tho. I'd check the COO of each tractor and also look at the local dealer service center. My area has a really good Kubota dealer but the New Holland Dealer is touch and go at best.
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
hbud

I have a New Holland TC55 with loader. I'm very happy with it. Cousin has a 50 HP Kubota with cab. Kubota is nice, but the New Holland uses less fuel and has noticeably more power. Either way, you won't regret it.
hbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
slip knot

19 K!! My local Kubota dealer has been running a special deal on a 52hp with FEL for 17K cash price. But he turns a lot of volume so he may be getting a sweet deal? or it could be a regional issue.

I've been trying to convince the wife that I need one but so far she's telling me that I can't have another tractor.
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
crewchief888

kubota

some of the best small diesel engines on the market.

i'd prefer a manual shift trans for reliability.
next would be manual shift with a reverser
lastly full hydrostatic drive.

not because hydrostats in general "suck"
my question would be who makes the hydrostat?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
nato

I don't know very much about tractors of this sort, BUT...what I do know of is that my father-in-law and his fsther went in on this Kubota BX23 3-cyl. diesel about 2-3 yrs ago and it has been INDISPENSIBLE!!!!!!.
They everything from a 6ft post hole digger attachment to homemade thick steel slats (forks) that slide onto the front bucket that we used to lift up packages of shingles when we re-did my in-law's roof. The bucket and rear scoop seriosuly have too many uses to list (We're currently using the back hoe to un-earth my septic feed line to check its' condition while remodeling my bathroom).
The 4WD is amazing also...he can't keep up w/ all the snow removla work he gets in the winter.
I think new, it ran a little over $15K, but it's pretty much paid it self off....possibly twice!
I would highly recommend something like this.
nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Lt CHEG

The New Boomer 30 New Hollands are made in Korea by LS tractor. I have a 2009 Boomer 3040 4wd Fully Enclosed Cab with front end loader (and Woods backhoe too) and I couldn't be happier with it. Mine is made by Shibaura in Japan. I looked at all the tractors and for what I wanted it was a toss up between the New Holland and Massey Ferguson 1600 series. They were both about equally nice and each had pluses and minuses over each other. Kubotas are nice, but they were a little smaller in the operator area for me (I was always settled on an enclosed cab). John Deere were nice but very pricey for what they offer and I thought they were way too small. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the tractors out there nowadays and think you should buy the dealer moreso than the tractor. New Holland really makes a premium tractor but didn't have anything to compete with some of the more value oriented lines from Kubota as well as Mahindra, Kioti, etc. so they decided to branch out and get another manufacturer to make a more value oriented tractor for them, and according to my dealer the move has been pretty successful so far.

As for COO, there aren't any compact utility tractors made in the US. John Deere's are made in either Japan (Yanmar) or India, depending on what model you choose. Massey is made by Isecki in Japan. Case/IH and New Holland are made by Shibaura in Japan or LS in Korea depending on which model you choose. Kubota is made in Japan, while Kioti and Bobcat are both made by Daedong in Korea. Mahindra is made in India. There are a few other companies like TYM, Montana, etc. that are made in Korea, and of course there are several made in China. Unless you move up in size to an agricultural row tractor, you can't buy anything made in the US, and even then a large portion of the parts are made overseas. Welcome to the global economy.
Lt CHEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
banzaitoyota

We have a BX23 Kubota and L2800. My Sister in law has a New Holland TC35 with FEL. All are hydrostic. I prefer the Kubota's
banzaitoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
enginenine

I've had a L3130 for about five years now. It gets used a lot during hunting season(dove and deer) and the only thing that has been done to it is regular service and replacement of the negative battery cable. Great tractor.
enginenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
camnick

Slip Knot where is that dealer located? That's incredibly cheap. The Kubota Dealer I went to claimed everything was made in Georgia, including the engines. Maybe they are just assembled there.
Nato does he seem happy with the horsepower on the BX?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
trbomax

I have a TC35DA which is a super steer model. Its almost zero radius turn,and the 4wd does not tear up the yard when turning tightly.Ive ask way too much of this machine with a loader,back hoe,6' tiller,6' snow blower,8'back blade. Ive put 1800 hrs on it with no repairs,just normal maintanence. It never sees a building unless its broken,and when washed up or rained on,looks new.It is a hydrostat. I would buy another one without any reservations,but I dont have to,the one I have is great.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #17
trbomax

Pics of the NH TC35DA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1470.JPG (138.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1991.jpg (64.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1840.jpg (52.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
1320stang

I used a New Holland hydrostatic tractor to do dirt work when I added on and I hated it. I used to work in construction and the hydrostatic on the boxblade responded too slow for me. I'm hoping one day to get me a old Ford tractor, 8N or 9N and maybe it'll get a front bucket.

1963 Fairlane 2 door post
1965 Mustang Coupe
1973 F-100 longbed
1991 Festiva "Thing 1", red
1991 Festiva "Thing 2", blue
1992 Festiva "Blackie", black (duh)
1993 Festiva "Feisty", white
2000 Explorer 4 door, "Kevin"
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Explorer SportTrac
2005 Honda Accord
2008 Mercury Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
PS: I'm a girl..
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
soj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt CHEG View Post
The New Boomer 30 New Hollands are made in Korea by LS tractor. I have a 2009 Boomer 3040 4wd Fully Enclosed Cab with front end loader (and Woods backhoe too) and I couldn't be happier with it. Mine is made by Shibaura in Japan. I looked at all the tractors and for what I wanted it was a toss up between the New Holland and Massey Ferguson 1600 series. They were both about equally nice and each had pluses and minuses over each other. Kubotas are nice, but they were a little smaller in the operator area for me (I was always settled on an enclosed cab). John Deere were nice but very pricey for what they offer and I thought they were way too small. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the tractors out there nowadays and think you should buy the dealer moreso than the tractor. New Holland really makes a premium tractor but didn't have anything to compete with some of the more value oriented lines from Kubota as well as Mahindra, Kioti, etc. so they decided to branch out and get another manufacturer to make a more value oriented tractor for them, and according to my dealer the move has been pretty successful so far.

As for COO, there aren't any compact utility tractors made in the US. John Deere's are made in either Japan (Yanmar) or India, depending on what model you choose. Massey is made by Isecki in Japan. Case/IH and New Holland are made by Shibaura in Japan or LS in Korea depending on which model you choose. Kubota is made in Japan, while Kioti and Bobcat are both made by Daedong in Korea. Mahindra is made in India. There are a few other companies like TYM, Montana, etc. that are made in Korea, and of course there are several made in China. Unless you move up in size to an agricultural row tractor, you can't buy anything made in the US, and even then a large portion of the parts are made overseas. Welcome to the global economy.
I have a MF 1547, made by Isecki in Japan, shipped to Georgia without wheels or tires. USA made wheels and tires are installed there (so they say it is "assembled" in USA of foreign and USA components). The MF loader is made in USA by Heston in Kansas. Heston is owned by Agco, who owns MF. You are right, NO compact utility tractors are made in USA. Which may not be a bad thing, just read some of the posts on here bitchin' about made in USA Craftsman tools! And, the finish on my USA made loader is not as good as on the Japanese tractor. The paint is getting dull faster, and some of the plated parts were already rusty when new.

All that said, I love my tractor! I know you didn't ask about MF, and mine is 47HP and you were looking at 30HP, but if you have a dealer nearby you could consider them, they have smaller models.
soj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
Ohio Auto

Kubota.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
Lt CHEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by soj View Post
I have a MF 1547, made by Isecki in Japan, shipped to Georgia without wheels or tires. USA made wheels and tires are installed there (so they say it is "assembled" in USA of foreign and USA components). The MF loader is made in USA by Heston in Kansas. Heston is owned by Agco, who owns MF. You are right, NO compact utility tractors are made in USA. Which may not be a bad thing, just read some of the posts on here bitchin' about made in USA Craftsman tools! And, the finish on my USA made loader is not as good as on the Japanese tractor. The paint is getting dull faster, and some of the plated parts were already rusty when new.

All that said, I love my tractor! I know you didn't ask about MF, and mine is 47HP and you were looking at 30HP, but if you have a dealer nearby you could consider them, they have smaller models.
I couldn't agree more with you. I want the best quality and value that my money will buy. I don't blindly shop for a "made in USA" label. The fact that the compact utility tractor market was basically invented by Japan would lead me to believe that the Japanese know what they're doing with respect to building them. So far, based upon my experience with my Shibaura built New Holland, I have no reason to dispute that. For that matter, on another tractor related forum that I frequent I can't really think of anyone who is dissatisfied with their tractor purchase regardless of brand. That's a big reason why I suggest that the most important factor in purchasing a compact utility tractor is the dealer who will support it. They're all so good, you might as well buy from the dealer who treats you the best.
Lt CHEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #22
charger891

i`ve been in the Ag repair business and farming all my life, Kubota got a good rep in the 80`s/early nineties because there wasen`t mutch of a market for compact diesels, there not mutch to brag about these days except their cheap price! for the average homeowner the`ll do the trick but put the two side to side and compare, the new holland will have bigger axles, thicker seats, higher hydraulic flows, controls are easy to reach, hood is solid and lifts up with struts, this is not only coming from my mouth but from customers that were in the market for tractors and bought kubota because they were cheaper than the New Holland`s, they ended up coming back and trading their units in.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #23
Busted_Knuckles

Ive got a New Holland Loader and tractor, did have a loader with a Kubota Motor. Anyhow, I like the way the New Holland stuff is built, but if you plan on keeping it for long time, price some parts before you buy, both brands.

From what I remember of Kubota, it was affordable and reasonable to buy parts, New Holland parts are priced like GOLD ! Well built, but jeeeez, they are proud of their parts.

Im cheap and repair all my own stuff, If I was going for a new tractor, Id go Kubota. A Good friend bought a new one last summer (Kubota), he's trading it for a larger Kubota this spring. He really likes the tractor, he just bought too small. He was using a Case 380B (It weighs about 7,000lbs) before he bought the small Kubota (I dont remember the model number), but its only around 25 hp or less, he nees something more like 40hp.
Busted_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
James E

My Dad has a Kubota (I'm sorry, I don't know the model number)--Hydrostatic drive, about 50hp, cab with AC, 4wd, clamshell front bucket. He's the kind of guy who does not maintain his equipment well and then blames the manufacturer when it breaks. He's had the Kubota about ten years and has had zero trouble with it. He loves it.
James E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
Busted_Knuckles

One other thing, if Im not mistaken, when looking at my buddies new Kubota, I think I noticed it was built in GEORGIA, USA !. My tractor is from Japan, dont know where the new NH are being built, would not be surprised if its imported.
Busted_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
bigdaddyisu

I work for CNH (New Holland's parent company).

That said, I'd probably buy the tractor that comes from the better dealer. Both units will eventually have breakdowns (all mechanical things eventually do) but your dealer will make all the difference in the world as to how quickly things will get fixed.
bigdaddyisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
5lima30

I doubt you would go very wrong with either model. That being said go to TractorByNet.com and click on reviews and read the reviews on both so you can make an informed decision. BTW if you are getting a front end loader definitely get 4wd, power steering, and consider getting hydro drive. Gear drive can be a real pain when doing loader work. OTOH I prefer gear drive if I'm doing lots of tilling or plowing, or have real steep hills. YMMV.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #28
Buckgnarly

Neighbor has a NH, he really likes it. Kubota rules up here, but this Summer/Fall I'll be buying a Kioti.

MANY happy customers and way lower price than the other orange tractor. Does not hurt that a relative owns a dealership too!
Buckgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
oldwino

I've had a NH boomer for 5 years now and have been very satisfied. Good dealer in the area helps. only gets about a hundred hours a year but the only thing I've had to fix is replacement of a fuse. I'd buy again with maybe a bit more power.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
trbomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320stang View Post
I used a New Holland hydrostatic tractor to do dirt work when I added on and I hated it. I used to work in construction and the hydrostatic on the boxblade responded too slow for me. I'm hoping one day to get me a old Ford tractor, 8N or 9N and maybe it'll get a front bucket.
There's a knob under the front of the seat to adjust flow on the 3 pt.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #31
Traditional hotrodder

I've had a Kubota B-20 TLB and a L-35 TLB and couldn't be happier with them. They both held their value extremely well and performed flawlessly.
Traditional hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #32
JustBob

Back when I was tractor shopping in 2004 to replace my aging 1968 Ford gas burner, I was looking at Kabota, John Deere and New Holland compact tractors. I could not believe the small tractors cost more than a "regular" size tractor. I really wanted one of the NH TC compact tractors, but in feb 2005 I finally found the one I would buy. A NH TT55 44 pto hp tractor, with 8 speed manual(4x2 synchro shift).

It was cheaper than the "compact" line with more power, larger and heavier as well. I paid $12,500 back then for the TT55 and then bought a loader from BushHog, and a few accessories afterwards from NH. Since my tractor was so new, I even got to help Bushhog with the design of the loader mounts for my model tractor.

tractor1.jpg

Video of my NH tractor moving trees after Katrina
disclaimer: video might be boring to those not interested in tractors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySctM...=youtube_gdata

Sometimes bigger is better... and cheaper.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #33
Flatland Dave

I wonder what the availability of these tractors will be for a while with the mess over in Japan.
Flatland Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #34
camnick

It looked like both places had several of each model. I'm sure the economy has hurt them. Both of them offer 0% for 60 months. New Holland is offering invoice pricing this month. I'm going to have to do some research on each dealer.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #35
baucom

In this instance I think I would go with the Boomer 30, even though I prefer Kubotas over NH in general. Kubota's value line uses a quarter-inching valve on the 3 pt while the Boomer 30 uses position control (superior system to Kubotas quarter-inching valve). The Boomer 30 is made in S. Korea by LS & the Kubota is made in Japan. If you want a full featured Kubota, check out the B3030 for a small frame tractor or the L3240 for a large frame; both are around 30 hp.
baucom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #36
Cougar

I have the Boomer 30 with a Woods loader. Not many hours on it yet but so far so good.
These compact tractors sure are narrow compared to my old Ford 800.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #37
shovel

I went through this process 5 years ago. I wanted a Kubota, but the dealer wouldn't budge. I was able to strongarm the new Holland Dealer on a TC35 with the shuttle shift, FEL with quick attach bucket. I found an internet deal on the East Coast. I asked my local dealer to make it NOT worth my while to go get that tractor. They came within $600 of East Coast price and I bought the New Holland. Since then, The Kubota dealership changed hands and is making pretty good deals. I am very pleased with my NH, but wouldnt be afraid to recommend a Kubota either. Almost every contracter I see around my neck of the woods does work with Kubota tractors. I would go with the best deal and who you think will give you the best service. You are fortunate in that you really cant make a wrong decision here!
shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #38
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320stang View Post
If you didn't like how a new hydro handled it, wait until you try it with one of those old tractors.

8/9n's are cute...and that's about it anymore. For a little more than they go for, you can step right up into a 70's 40 hp diesel that's 3x the tractor an 8/9n could ever hope to be, plus has a live pto, and live hydraulics. the 8/9n's also need an overrunning clutch installed to be safe. A brushhog or tiller can really without one can really make for an interesting ride.

Don't get me wrong, our 8n was used for years...but as soon as we picked up that $3500 Ford 3600, that 8n was backed into the corner of the barn, and there it sat for years.

The non-live hydraulics makes for a god-awful loader tractor, along with the fact that they don't steer for crap, and get real light on the back end without adding lots of weight. You also have to ditch the original wheels and tires, and install a wider set.

I guarantee that $3500 Ford 3600 would run laps around two $1750 8n's all day long.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
Case IH

Neither!!!!!!!!!!
<-------------------------------------
Case IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #40
Cougar

My old 800 served me well. But it was a bear to turn especially with a load in the bucket. Hit a rut and almost break your wrist. Borrowed a friends newer Deere with power steering. After that I thought gotta get me a newer tractor. And I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
If you didn't like how a new hydro handled it, wait until you try it with one of those old tractors.

8/9n's are cute...and that's about it anymore. For a little more than they go for, you can step right up into a 70's 40 hp diesel that's 3x the tractor an 8/9n could ever hope to be, plus has a live pto, and live hydraulics. the 8/9n's also need an overrunning clutch installed to be safe. A brushhog or tiller can really without one can really make for an interesting ride.

Don't get me wrong, our 8n was used for years...but as soon as we picked up that $3500 Ford 3600, that 8n was backed into the corner of the barn, and there it sat for years.

The non-live hydraulics makes for a god-awful loader tractor, along with the fact that they don't steer for crap, and get real light on the back end without adding lots of weight. You also have to ditch the original wheels and tires, and install a wider set.

I guarantee that $3500 Ford 3600 would run laps around two $1750 8n's all day long.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
nissan_crawler

Default Qui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
My old 800 served me well. But it was a bear to turn especially with a load in the bucket. Hit a rut and almost break your wrist. Borrowed a friends newer Deere with power steering. After that I thought gotta get me a newer tractor. And I did.
Yep. Stab clutch, let go of wheel, hope for the best. They're like anything else. They were great in their day, no doubt about it. However, industry has moved on. Same reason you don't see many people daily driving 1940's cars with original drivetrains, either. They're great, they're fun, but they just don't make sense anymore.

IMHO, power steering, live pto, and live hydraulics are REQUIRED for a good tractor anymore. For a small loader tractor, I would throw in a hydro as almost a requirement, also.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote