Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
boosted05

Default 96 Dodge ram 1500, no fuel/no start.

So last night our truck was just idling at the party store, and it died. The truck refired and spit and sputtered and shut back off. Now it won't start, but it acted like it wanted to last night and today nothing. We have put a new fuel pump in, new relays in the panel on the fender well, next we are trying a crank sensor. On a side not the CEL does not come on at all when turning the key, although it has not come on for a long time either.

Any possible ideas on what else it could be here.
boosted05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
srmofo

Default Re: 96 Dodge ram 1500, no fuel/no start.

Do you have a tach and does it move when trying to start?

Have you checked spark?

Have you checked fuel pressure?
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
wafrederick

You have a computer feed problem possibly a broken or shorted wire or wires.Looks like it is electrical and will not be easy to find.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
dolfans

Check out www.dodgetalk.com or www.dodgeforum.com. Good sites and good luck
dolfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Up And Down

Does the CEL not even illuminate when the key is on the ON position but the engine is not running? If so, the bulb may be burned out. Try reading codes to see if any are present...you may have them but just don't know.
Up And Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? If not,
I think there is a fuse for the Fuel pump.
Is this a throttle body, is there somewhere to spray a little carb cleaner in to see if it tries to start.
As mentioned, do you have spark?
Thanks,
Tony
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
diesel research

The fuel pump is only going to run for 2 seconds or so. Function of the A.S.D.

PCM sees key on signal and engages ASD for 2 seconds. (that feeds alt field winding, coil+ injector plus and fuel pump)

If it does not sense cranking within those 2 seconds it will shut off.

Crank sensor is located on passenger side bellhousing between block and tranny. 3 wire halleffect square wave type. On-iff) as holes in the flex plate pass by the sensor.

You will go broke if you keep replacing stuff on a hunch or whim and will work hard doing so.

the ignition coil seems very sensitive to cranking voltage. So sensitive that a slightly degraded battery can still turn the engine over but not power the coil. Used to be if it cranked there was enough power in battery to do anything else. Has nothing to do with replacing coils so do NOT read it as such. That message is to tell you to NOT cross the battery off as good if it cranks and turns over. There is primary/secondary ohm test on the coil, if it passes don't chuck another one at it thinking the test is flawed. (yet, that comes later)

Some of the OBD2 trucks still retained the old key on-key off test, but instead of blinking codes through MIL, they would display Pcodes on the odometer. That seems hit or miss, year to year, model to model.
diesel research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
jay50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel research View Post
The fuel pump is only going to run for 2 seconds or so. Function of the A.S.D.

PCM sees key on signal and engages ASD for 2 seconds. (that feeds alt field winding, coil+ injector plus and fuel pump)

If it does not sense cranking within those 2 seconds it will shut off.

Crank sensor is located on passenger side bellhousing between block and tranny. 3 wire halleffect square wave type. On-iff) as holes in the flex plate pass by the sensor.

You will go broke if you keep replacing stuff on a hunch or whim and will work hard doing so.

the ignition coil seems very sensitive to cranking voltage. So sensitive that a slightly degraded battery can still turn the engine over but not power the coil. Used to be if it cranked there was enough power in battery to do anything else. Has nothing to do with replacing coils so do NOT read it as such. That message is to tell you to NOT cross the battery off as good if it cranks and turns over. There is primary/secondary ohm test on the coil, if it passes don't chuck another one at it thinking the test is flawed. (yet, that comes later)

Some of the OBD2 trucks still retained the old key on-key off test, but instead of blinking codes through MIL, they would display Pcodes on the odometer. That seems hit or miss, year to year, model to model.
Yeah, DC and Jeeps seem to be sensitive to degraded batteries moreso that other manufacturers. The sympton I see most often when it occurs it that they will start, but not idle unless given throttle. Take the battery out and get it tested to rule it out.

Seems like 96MY had high failure of PCM...but don't replace anymore parts without proper testing/troubleshooting or you will go into the poor house rather quickly.
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
diesel research

My first experience was on my own jeep cherokee. Orange spark from coil when using spark tester. Didn't think much of it. It ohmed out correct. Had just short of 11volts at coil+ when cranking.

Cranked and cranked and cranked. Put it on the charger, it charged up real fast but then dropped back and never seemed to go full charge. Got it load tested, it failed, swapped it out, fired up like nothing was ever wrong. Just seemed to happen kind of sudden during an oil change (and spark plugs) Completely coincidental.

STRONGLY agree about not replacing anything else.

Fellow dodge owner (before we became techs) had a problem with not starting. Hooked a red brick up and every sensor was bad/way off. He replaced almost every sensor in that truck to no avail. No pcm communication either. So he replaced that. Spent atleast $600 in parts (many years ago) just to find a crusty wire on pcm feed. Clearly visible.

Last edited by diesel research; 03-27-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
boosted05

The only reason we replaced these things easily is we have access to it without having to pay if it's not the fix. Benefits of knowing the local parts store owner. The truck rolls over just fine, but has NO fuel pressure at all. We can hear the pump as you say for the ASD but it does not prime up, and no codes on the ODO and the bulb is probably burnt out for the CEL. We will hook the scanner to it later, but until we can get ahold of a tester I have no way check power to things and such. Thanks for the imput so far folks!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
boosted05

Actually I was wrong, my dad has been testing with the light out there for a bit. We have power from the battery to the fuse box, no power OUT of the fuse box, and no power to the ASD. We poked the dark green w/orange tracer wire, nothing.

On a side note the truck did start/sputter earlier, and the tach works when rolling it over.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel research View Post
My first experience was on my own jeep cherokee. Orange spark from coil when using spark tester. Didn't think much of it. It ohmed out correct. Had just short of 11volts at coil+ when cranking.

Cranked and cranked and cranked. Put it on the charger, it charged up real fast but then dropped back and never seemed to go full charge. Got it load tested, it failed, swapped it out, fired up like nothing was ever wrong. Just seemed to happen kind of sudden during an oil change (and spark plugs) Completely coincidental.
How about that? Chrysler and jeep seem more sensitive to this, Right?
I will have to keep that in mind at work.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
diesel research

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted05 View Post
Actually I was wrong, my dad has been testing with the light out there for a bit.
Time to upgrade to a DMM. It's going to be cheaper than misdiagnosing something or burning something up. Also each wire that gets poked suddenly has that much higher risk of corroding in half in the future. Try to avoid pierce probing unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
ya but I wouldn't know what to look for with a DMM
Plenty of others will decode your readings as long as you pay attention to EXACTLY where the meter leads were placed and what setting you had the meter on.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Up And Down

Am I missing something here? You have power to the fuse box but no power out of the fuse box? Sounds like a blown fuse or a bad connection on the "out" side of the fuse box to me.
Up And Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
boosted05

We will go test all of the fuses and relays here in a min before dark, but yeah power in and not out. and my uncle has a DMM but of course is not home. I should have got one at UNOH while taking classes.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
boosted05

We have power to all the relays and fuses so I'm going to guess at a wire being broken somewhere. We have a spare PCM to try tomorrow and will load test the battery.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
diesel research

There isn't just one wire out of fuse box, there is one for every fuse.

Which wire fuse are you talking about?

Yes mrbreezeee they seem more sensitive to anything less than a full battery. Hundreds if not thousands have likely chased other problems. 2 other friends had similar problems within 2 months, one was a tech working on customer vehicle.

Can't speak on cars or DIS vehicles, I am talking about vehicles with single coil/distributor, aka older rams/jeeps. 318/360 always had dizzy, 4.0 did until 2000.

Yes you should have got one while at UNOH, but it's not too late to get one even from walmart.

Have many friends that went to that school (born around there). Where do you live?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
mrbreezeet1
Banned

Ok Thanks, I'll try to keep it in mind.
I was always told " check the basics 1st" Has helped me a few times.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
diesel research

If you are coming across jeep/dodge/chrysler cars or trucks, also keep in mind the key on off odometer code trick does work sometimes.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
boosted05

I live just about 2 hours north in MI, I was at UNOH at the end of 08 for about 5 months, and someone hit my car and the school was like oh well. So I left. As for testing fuses though, we just put the test light in the socket to see if it had power coming in. we are going to scan the truck in the morning for codes and test the PCM.

I do plan on getting a DMM, they are a very useful tool. Just have to pay some tickets first lol.