Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
bw77

Default Rotate tires without balance?

I have always believed that tires should be rotated and balanced every 5K miles or so.

But I find that when I go to Sears auto for that service (which is included in the price of the set of tires I bought there), sometimes someone tries to convince me that I just need the tires rotated without a balance, unless I can feel the out of balance when driving.

I have to stand my ground and insist on the balance.

Other times, it's no questions asked. Depends on who I speak with.

I suppose they are just trying to increase profits a little by saving time on the balance.

Thoughts?
bw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
J Persons

Default Re: Rotate tires without balance?

Most times, tires are balanced off the vehicle so it doesn't make much difference as to where the tire is located. I've also had tires balanced on the vehicle and had poor results, especially at the rear axle. As tires wear, they can change the balance slightly and may have to be rebalanced.
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
May Pop

Rotate no rebalance. Unless you pay for rebalance. Unless you are extra perticular just a waste of money.
May Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
MrSnicks

I always get my wheels rebalanced when I have them rotated.

Patrick
MrSnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
scottytohottyman

Balancing is not necasary when rotating tires. However if a tire in the rear is out of balance you will not always feel it, that is untill it is rotated to the front. Then you have to go back to the shop & have them balanced. So it can be a time saver for both you & the shop to just balance the tires while the wheels are already off the vehicle. I own a tire store and once in a while we will have a car come back that has developed a vibration after the rotate. Then we end up balancing the tires and taking twice as much time for us & the customer. Long story short, you are not out of line by requesting balance and rotation.
scottytohottyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

I'm sure the working techs appreciate you wanting to balance the tires with each rotation. Unless you're experiencing some shimmy or vibration, or lost a weight there's no need to but, that's just me.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
LocoCoco

Huh?

You get your wheels balanced every 5000 km? What's the point? Once they're balanced, they're balanced.

Tire shop must love ya though!

LC.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
DrunkSmurf

I always just rotate mine at home and never bother having them balanced unless there's an obvious need to.

If it isn't broke, don't try fixing it.

I do agree with scottytohottyman on the point that sometimes a tire that seemed fine on the rear can give you some issues once put on the front.
It's only happened to me once that I can think of though.
DrunkSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
neonnblack

I have mine balanced every 3k or so, Im a very aggressive driver. My balances and rotations are free, whenever i want them from Discount Tire.
neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
nutjob

Purchased the set of tires on the Durango from Costco. Free rotate and balance for life of the tire.

I stop in about every 10k. I see new weights and they are in different postions.

I would not pay for this service, since I can do the rotate myself and only get a balance if I felt a vibration.

By the way, Costco has done the best tire service I have ever seen. They wire brush the hub to remove rust, they use a torque wrench on the lug nuts and they really seem to care.

Kevin
nutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
GirlnAgarage

Discount Tire Co customer here too.

I have my tires rotated and balanced every 5k. By the end of the tire life I should have all the shimmies and vibes worked out.

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
Lotek

If the O/P was paying for the balance each time, I would have it checked at 15k, but since the balance and rotate was included in the price of the tires, I'm with the O/P, insist on the service that was promised when the tires were purchased

To those who think balancing is a one time thing, tires do wear unevenly, weights fall off or get knocked out of position, tread separation happens, if the tire is on the balancing machine, damage and defects are easier to see, so if the shop recommends a balance, don't assume they are trying to rip you off.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin

Last edited by Lotek; 04-05-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
tw33k2514

Kinda pointless, but if it's free, why the hell not.
tw33k2514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
J Persons

Default Discount Tire

Won't ever buy from them again. Several years ago I special ordered a set of Dunlop D40M2 tires and paid for them in advance, was told they would be in within two weeks. Took the car down to have them installed, and they had switched tires the to their own brand, which were considerably cheaper than the Dunlops. When I complained and told them to reinstall my original tires they charged me a mounting fee. I did eventually get the tires I ordered and paid for, but not before loudly complaining. A letter to their corporate office was answered with "Sorry 'bout that". I use "The Tire Rack" now for all my tires.
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
GirlnAgarage

Default Re: Discount Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
Won't ever buy from them again. Several years ago I special ordered a set of Dunlop D40M2 tires and paid for them in advance, was told they would be in within two weeks. Took the car down to have them installed, and they had switched tires the to their own brand, which were considerably cheaper than the Dunlops. When I complained and told them to reinstall my original tires they charged me a mounting fee. I did eventually get the tires I ordered and paid for, but not before loudly complaining. A letter to their corporate office was answered with "Sorry 'bout that". I use "The Tire Rack" now for all my tires.

Sounds like a poorly run shop. Having used Discount since the late 90s and all over the state at that, I've definitely found a difference in stores. While they all adhere to the same rules, some shops have a better vibe.

I have two shops within 3-4mls of me. I've intentionally used both to try to do the same things with my wheels and tires. The shop I originally went to after moving into the area doesn't get my business anymore.

It's a shame they treated you wrong.

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
porphyre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw77 View Post
I have always believed that tires should be rotated and balanced every 5K miles or so.

But I find that when I go to Sears auto for that service (which is included in the price of the set of tires I bought there), sometimes someone tries to convince me that I just need the tires rotated without a balance, unless I can feel the out of balance when driving.

I have to stand my ground and insist on the balance.

Other times, it's no questions asked. Depends on who I speak with.

I suppose they are just trying to increase profits a little by saving time on the balance.

Thoughts?
My thought is you're in the 50+ bracket and had a lot of formative experience in the 60's and 70's.

I just had this conversation with my father. We were talking about how tires used to only last 30-40k miles and blow-outs were common. I was mentioning that my lifetime drive clock was around 500k miles at that point and I'd never had a blow-out.

Anyway, he said they used to always balance tires on the car and they'd balance after a rotate too. It seems that, back in the day, manufacturing tolerances weren't very tight. If you balanced the tire on the car, you were (in effect) balancing the entire rotating assembly - brakes, hubs, etc. It gave a smoother ride because, while a tire balanced off the car could be fine, the rotor or hub, etc, could be off.

On modern cars, tolerances are good enough that on-car balancing is not needed.

So, point being. Balance after every rotate? No need. Balance after 15-20k miles and/or you're feeling a vibe (uneven tire wear, lost wheel weight, etc)? Yes.

But yeah, if it's one of those "free lifetime rotate, balances".... no reason not to do it.

Last edited by porphyre; 04-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
bw77

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyre View Post
My thought is you're in the 50+ bracket and had a lot of formative experience in the 60's and 70's.
Yup, for the past 10 years.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
bw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
Rickstir

Rotate and balance every other oil change on my new Subaru. Course I go off road a lot. Back when I had money to burn I had a Ram 1500 Quad 4 X 4. Lots more off roading on it. Got those tires rotated and balanced every 5 to 7 thousand. Always got excellent tire life.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
metal1313

i have mine balanced pretty often, more often than most, but thats only becuase my mech. lets me change my fluids and rotate my tires in his shop while i help him work on his, or his helpers projects. i gotta find him a tire mounting machine tho, since his is an oldd coats machine and wont mount tires to 17's or larger wheels
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I rotate mine every other oil change, 8K miles. I have never had a tire rebalanced after it was put on, I guess I never thought of it.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote