Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
scott37300

Default Homemade fluid transfer pump write up

Last week I needed to fill a lincoln aviator 5r55s you fill threw the drain plug, which a lot of cars are doing. You need to pump the fluid in some how. I ended up using one of those pumps you screw onto the trans fluid bottles that pumps the fluid threw a hose up to the drian pan. It worked good but those little pumps are messy and they don't work good for filling gear lube since it's really thick. So today I started gathering some info and parts to build a fluid transfer pump. Like this one-

I was at lowes so picked up a cheap 1 gallon garden sprayer today for 9 bucks. If this works out good my plan is to get a couple of these. One for gear lube and one for tranny fluid. Basically these are the same concept as the motive brake bleeder, which has lots of good info for homemade ones out there. Motive also sells a fluid pump for 55 bucks, which is a good deal but I am going to try and make one cheaper and with a few ideas of my own. And then do a full write up for anyone else that wants to make one of these.

I need a little design help from you smart guys out there on what parts will work and maybe sourcing them at a good price.

First, I want to add a fitting to make this pressurized by hooking up to air compressor. The simple proven way is to add a shrader valve, this also adds a pressure release that my cheap sprayer doesn't have right now. Can I use a valve stem out of a car tire and just drill a hole in the bottle and push it in?

The other idea I have is to hook this up to an air compressor while using it so I don't have to re pressurize it at all. I was thinking about putting a fitting on the bottle and adding a regulator/gauge and regulate air supply to 30 PSI or so. Would this work? Or is this even needed? I have never used one of these so I don't know if you need to keep re pressurizing them or if one time pump to 30 PSI is enough to pump a gallon of fluid out or not?

I am going to run to the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find a threw wall pipe fitting that will allow me to drill a hole in the sprayer tank and thread this fitting in to get a good seal and then I can thread things like gauge or shrader valve into this fitting.

I need to find out if it is needed or a good idea to hook this up to a compressor to use or just a schrader valve. Then I just need to pick up a gauge and either a schrader valve or regulator to pressurize the tank.

After I get the tank worked out I am going to start making some different adaptors for it for different transmissions and diffs. In the mighty vac kit above they have a nice selction of adaptors to get most vehicles. I know the ford/lincoln one that I used the other day is a 1/8" NPT threaded adapter. A friend of mine has an audi a4 and that one is just an angled tube. Not sure yet how I'm going to make these so any ideas are welcome and also if you know of an adaptor that you have needed for a specific vehicle please share.

This post is mainly a brain storming post to get some ideas to work a few bugs out and then tomorrow and the next couple days I will update on how I modified the tank sprayer to work. I'm hoping with all the knowledge on here we can work together to get some ideas down and then I will built this and do a full write up that everyone else can copy if they want. My goal is a cheap fluid filler. It will also work for a motive style brake bleeder, I already have a mityvac brae bleeder that I like so I don't think I will be making another brake bleeder but if anyone wants to adapt this to do brakes it would be very easy. Just don't use the same setup for oil products and brake fluid.

Thanks for any help you might be able to share to make this work.

Last edited by scott37300; 04-05-2011 at 10:38 PM.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
scott37300

Default Re: Homemade fluid transfer pump write up

Decided I was going to keep things simple, for now!

Decided to drill a 1/2" hole in the tank and insert a valve stem I had laying around. It seals up good. I pressurized the tank using the hand pump and it held pressure. I didn't want to try using the air compressor with it until I get a gauge on it. I pumped until it was pretty hard to pump and measured it with a tire gauge and it said 20 PSI so I think that is around the pressure it will need. So it's basically ready to use at this point. I still want to get a gauge for it so I can tell the pressure. And also going to work on the hose and adapters for different transmissions. I have a friend with an audi a4 that gets filled from the bottom of the pan also so that will probably be the test vehicle.

fluid transfer.jpg

fluid transfer 2.jpg

fluid transfer 3.jpg

Last edited by scott37300; 04-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
tonydanzah

suction gun or old fuel pump
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
nate379
Banned

Gear lube in an automatic trans?
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
e-tek

Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully we can read "THROUGH" the write-up!!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydanzah View Post
I tried a suction gun with the lincoln like you recomended in that post. I don't know if it was because I bought the HF one or not but it didn't work good at all. The don't hold much at all. I stuck the hose in and pulled the handle out and got maybe a couple ounces in it, then when I went to push the fluid out it barely filled the tube. I gave up after a couple tries. When you have to put 3-5 quarts in a suction gun doesn't seem to be a good way to do it. And if I can make a fluid transfer pump that can pump a gallon of fluid into a trans in one shot for 30 bucks it is well worth it to me.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

I'd almost rather see something that screws onto a regular container (gear lube, ATF, etc) and not have to worry about transferring the fluid into another container just to pump it.

Screw on/seal top of container with the "device" and pump away. When you're done, toss the container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydanzah View Post
Didn't someone just do this? Oil oil pump, IIRC.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
Gear lube in an automatic trans?
No, This pump would be used to pump trans fluid into the trans and can also be used to pump gear lube into diffs. Sorry if it sounded like I was using gear lube in the trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully we can read "THROUGH" the write-up!!
Sorry about the grammer, not one of my strongest points but I try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
I'd almost rather see something that screws onto a regular container (gear lube, ATF, etc) and not have to worry about transferring the fluid into another container just to pump it.

Screw on/seal top of container with the "device" and pump away. When you're done, toss the container.
They make these and that is what I used to fill the aviator transmission. They are nice but they do make a mess and you have to pump and pump and pump and pump, your arms get tired pretty quick!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
They make these and that is what I used to fill the aviator transmission. They are nice but they do make a mess and you have to pump and pump and pump and pump, your arms get tired pretty quick!

Yes, that is what I use. Very messy, they leak, etc.
If there was a way to replace the pump mechanism with a real pump, that's what I'm talking about.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
amolaver

while i can appreciate the desire to roll your own, i don't see how you'd save money (or more importantly, time) over the motive. what are you trying to accomplish that the motive doesn't do? i understand wanting to use an air source, but that could, ummm, be spectacular if the pressures aren't seriously controlled. of course, nothing would prevent you from putting a schrader on the motive if you really wanted.

i could understand if the mityvac was the only option @ $250, but for $55.. just seems like a 'do it because i can' thing w/o any real upside. nothing wrong with that i guess, it just seems like a waste of time to me. sorry to be a downer and not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to understand the goal.

ahm
amolaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
nate379
Banned

Why not use something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alltrade-6...-Pump/16200288
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
scott37300

Quote:
Yes, that is what I use. Very messy, they leak, etc.
If there was a way to replace the pump mechanism with a real pump, that's what I'm talking about.
Maybe, I don't think it will be too bad to dump the fluid of choice into the sprayer tank and then fill. The benefit to me is that I won't have to pump. Just screw the cap off and dump fluid in and then pressurize and fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolaver View Post
while i can appreciate the desire to roll your own, i don't see how you'd save money (or more importantly, time) over the motive. what are you trying to accomplish that the motive doesn't do? i understand wanting to use an air source, but that could, ummm, be spectacular if the pressures aren't seriously controlled. of course, nothing would prevent you from putting a schrader on the motive if you really wanted.

i could understand if the mityvac was the only option @ $250, but for $55.. just seems like a 'do it because i can' thing w/o any real upside. nothing wrong with that i guess, it just seems like a waste of time to me. sorry to be a downer and not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to understand the goal.

ahm
Your right there won't be much money savings and part of this is "do it because I can" thing. A couple reasons, the motive with a schrader valve is 85 bucks, I can build this for 30 or so. The second reason is I am thinking of making a couple of these if they work out. One for trans fluid and one for gear lube for diffs. And maybe even get more tanks for different types of trans fluid. The tanks are only 9 bucks a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
That is nice if you buy all your fluid by 5 gallon pails. Most of my fluid I get is in gallon jugs or even quarts. So in my opinion it will be nice to just open the sprayer tank and dump up to a gallon of whatever fluid I need into it and go.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
bradweingartner

Why bother with the second container at all? I'm sure a gallon or 5 quart jug of oil can handle a few PSI which is all you'd need to move light viscosity oils at a decent rate. Take an old cap from your favorite brand and punch two holes in it. One for oil out with a valve on one end and a tube to the bottom on the other. Another hole for air in, and install an air line + regulator. I'd include a low-pressure regulator on the airline so you don't plug it into your compressor at 150psi accidentally... Start with a couple PSI and go from there.

Of course this probably wouldn't work very well for some heavy gear lube. Or definitely not quickly. I'm curious now as to how many PSI an oil jug can take. Maybe not enough. Hydrotest one first and let us know
bradweingartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
mtkst19

the fuel pump trick works on thinner fluid. i fill my european trannys up no problem w/ the efi pump.

my setup is simple and can be duplicated for mayeb 20 bucks or less. i have a clear plastic jug--think rubbermaid kool-aid container. it is even marked in liters and qts. nice because it has a lid on it to keep fluid clean. When stuff costs $13 to $50 a liter, im not wasting it

i use an electric fuel pump and keep it submerged in the fluid and let it pick up of the bottom of the jug.

i run my wires out from the efi pump/container and hook it up to a jump pack. on the power wire, i put a toggle switch inline so i can turn the pump off/on with ease so im not f-ing around w/ trying to disconnect the jumper box.

to get the fluid in the tranny, i have a long piece of hose that comes off the fuel pump and reaches the car. at the end of the hose, i uses a piece of brake tubing to bend my hook. this is hose clamped on the end of the hose. the hook serves 2 purposes. 1-- it will "rest" inside the pan and fill so you dont have to hold it and 2-- being thin, it lets you get in tight areas

when all setup, i can put the car on the rack, leave my scan tool hang from underneath the car so i can read the tranny temps. all the stuff i need fits on my shop cart and is user friendly.

for gear lube, im still trying to figure something out for thicker lubes. most stuff i just use the drum pumps. problem is my drum pumps are all traditional oil and not synthetic. in addition, some stuff i cant get access to the holes w/ the drum pumps so i end up using the suction gun method.
mtkst19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkst19 View Post
the fuel pump trick works on thinner fluid. i fill my european trannys up no problem w/ the efi pump.

my setup is simple and can be duplicated for mayeb 20 bucks or less. i have a clear plastic jug--think rubbermaid kool-aid container. it is even marked in liters and qts. nice because it has a lid on it to keep fluid clean. When stuff costs $13 to $50 a liter, im not wasting it

i use an electric fuel pump and keep it submerged in the fluid and let it pick up of the bottom of the jug.

i run my wires out from the efi pump/container and hook it up to a jump pack. on the power wire, i put a toggle switch inline so i can turn the pump off/on with ease so im not f-ing around w/ trying to disconnect the jumper box.

to get the fluid in the tranny, i have a long piece of hose that comes off the fuel pump and reaches the car. at the end of the hose, i uses a piece of brake tubing to bend my hook. this is hose clamped on the end of the hose. the hook serves 2 purposes. 1-- it will "rest" inside the pan and fill so you dont have to hold it and 2-- being thin, it lets you get in tight areas

when all setup, i can put the car on the rack, leave my scan tool hang from underneath the car so i can read the tranny temps. all the stuff i need fits on my shop cart and is user friendly.

for gear lube, im still trying to figure something out for thicker lubes. most stuff i just use the drum pumps. problem is my drum pumps are all traditional oil and not synthetic. in addition, some stuff i cant get access to the holes w/ the drum pumps so i end up using the suction gun method.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think the sprayer pump would work with gear lube or do you think it is to thick for it? I have used one of the little pumps you screw onto the gallon jugs for gear lube before but it pumps hard and makes a mess. I would think that 30 PSI in a sprayer tank with gear lube would flow pretty good.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
amolaver

Quote:

while i agree, that would be the ideal, the problem is that mobil1, redline, royal purple, castrol, etc all have different sized tops/threads, and i imagine getting a good seal on them consistently would be tough. i've used the little 'hand pump with a tube' method for years and hated every time i had to use it.

i apologize for harping on it, but the motive takes 10-15 pumps/qt, and just flat works. and honestly, i wouldn't bother keeping separate tanks for gear lube and atf. while yes, they are very different lubes, the sub 1oz left in the tank is not going to be a problem.

that said, if you absolutely, have to have separate tanks, clearly the motive is going to cost a lot more, so i understand wanting to DIY.

the fuel pump idea is a good one although more 'stuff' to drag to the car (jump box).

btw, keep in mind that API GL 75w90 is essentially the same viscosity as 10w30 motor oil. if your pump (electric, hand, whatever) can flow motor oil, it won't have any trouble with gear lubes.

ahm
amolaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
scott37300

I just found this that looks like a great filler valve. The motive uses a standard plumbing apallo ball valve which are kind of a pain to use on hose that isn't rigid. I think this will make a better on/off valve than the motive uses.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
mtkst19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you think the sprayer pump would work with gear lube or do you think it is to thick for it? I have used one of the little pumps you screw onto the gallon jugs for gear lube before but it pumps hard and makes a mess. I would think that 30 PSI in a sprayer tank with gear lube would flow pretty good.

be honest im not sure. in theory, it sounds like it would work. just a matter of trying. i like the ideal of regulating the air and using shop pressure. as something has gotta give or go. I think the weakest link on a plastic bottle w/ shop air even with a regulator will be the seals/o rings.

as for the diff fluid, i have tried once to pump synthetic 75/90w gear oil into a land rover transfer case. it would not suck through my pump. ill give it a shot again to see, but it simply would not suck it. although the pump i use is traditionally a gravity fed pump. maybe ill stick a suction style efi pump and see if it works. i have some intank bosch pumps kicking around the shop to sacrifice.
mtkst19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
bentwrench54

are the seals in the "garden" sprayer going to be okay with oil products? :shrug:

reason i ask is that we had a safety meeting last month at work, and was told of a guy who used a garden sprayer for cleaning wire wheels with some nasty nasty wheel cleaner. it exploded in front of him.
bentwrench54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #20
dwm

I have no trouble using a modified cap on the Redline bottles to fill my differential (80W140) using my compressor and an inline regulator plus ball valve. Ditto for transmission fluid. Just have to be careful about how much pressure you allow into the bottle. Exploding a gear oil bottle can make for a bad day.

the parts are cheap and as long as you drill the same size holes in the caps, you can re-use it on any bottle.
dwm is offline   Reply With Quote