Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
NY Old Guy

Default How to handle ebay problem

Bought 2 Mac wrenches on ebay, 11/16 & 13/16, $12.5 including shipping. Recieved Bubblewrap envelope, ripped where it folds shut, wrenches gone. Shipping weight says 13 oz, so there was something in it to begin with but seller didn't put tape over the paper edges of the envelope and as a result the wrenches busted out in transit.

I sent the seller a message saying what happened and requesting a refund or that he send me replacements. That was a couple days ago and didn't here back from him.

Should I file a dispute, give him more time, send more messages? It's $12.5 so not a lot of money but still would rather not lose my purchase price and not get the wrenches.

Any advice on how to handle the situation?
NY Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
reptilezs

Default Re: How to handle ebay problem

just open the claim to get their attention. escalate if you don't get what you want
reptilezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
fatfillup

I agree, seller needs to package better. Best is to zip tie tools to cardboard about the size of the envelope so they can't break through and get lost. Think that idea came from Rickster but may have been Wrenchr.
fatfillup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
BQuicksilver

Yeah, open the claim. Let eBay put some pressure on him. No risk to you of doing that.

Also he entered 13oz, which doesn't mean it had 13oz in the package. 13oz is also the max weight for cheaper 1st class postage, which could be why he entered that #. May be a bit of paranoia, but best to consider all options.
BQuicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
elnoyl

hopefully you paid with a credit card. If you did and the seller refuses to fix the situation call your credit card company and do a charge back. Paypal is worthless with disputes and the only way to get something done is if the seller is cooperative or go through your credit card company.
elnoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
mikevango

I sell on eBay. Open claim and paypal will refund your money. Wrenches in an envelope? WTF. He packaging sucked.
mikevango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
jake00

the seller is responsible for the item untill it gets to you, File a claim
jake00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
route246

Make sure you do it within the time limit.
route246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
SMKS

I don't think you can file an item not received claim. That's because the seller will have tracking proving the item was delivered.

But, you can file an item not as described claim, because you got an empty envelope, not the wrenches you ordered. You may have to ship the empty envelope back to the seller, but you'll only be out the return shipping, instead of the entire purchase price.
SMKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
treasureseeker

I usually pack a wrench in a tyvet bag then tape the ends on the bubble mailer. I have tried to find a weight limit for the envelopes but no such luck. A 11/16 & 13/16 wrench may weigh more than 13OZ. The seller is reasonable for the item getting to you in the condition listed.
treasureseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
bargainzplus+

the seller should've put insurance for instances like this, so open a claim and they will favor it 99% of the time to the buyer with these situations.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
mixxmstrmike

Send a message via Yahoo to mixxmstrmike

Send him one more notice using eBay's email/messaging system. This way, eBay has access to the communication between you and the seller. Give it a few days. If the seller does not respond within, say 3 days, send him one more notice stating that you will now open a claim against him. This may actually prod the seller into doing something.

What you're doing by sending so many notices is that you're building an e-paper trail. Once you open a case against the seller, assuming you don't get a response, you may simply state that you sent three messages and received nothing. It can be a lengthy process so a little patience goes a long way.

I'm currently in a similar situation where the seller supposedly sent the item and even included a tracking number. However, there hasn't been ANY update on that tracking number for over 2 weeks! As far as I'm concerned it may still be in the location it was accepted in.

I just wished that sellers took the time to package their items the way THEY would like to receive products.

I can speak from experience that treasureseeker's packing skills are top notch!

Good luck,
Mike
mixxmstrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
treasureseeker

My first year selling on Ebay I had one flat rate box tear and another one the box was smashed on delivery and the tool and die items were damaged. I gave complete refunds on both. The buyer on the tool and die pieces sent me photos. The box looked like it fell from a ten foot drop which is what I have in mind when packaging an item. It has been a lot of years since and never another problem.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #14
91bronc300

I bought a gear vendor overdrive unit off ebay a couple years ago for $1800.00. Seller took my money then never heard hide nor hair from the guy after that. Gave it two weeks and no overdrive unit. Sent a couple emails to the guy, finally told me he is in the process of a move. I opened a paypal claim, paypal did a week long investigation, and I got my money back.

Like was suggested. Start an e-paper trail then file a paypal claim. Take pictures of the envelope too.
91bronc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
NY Old Guy

Hey fellas, thanks for all the advice. All the guy had to was wrap the wrenches in newspaper and put some plastic tape around the perimeter of the envelope. The packaging was pretty low effort. I'm holding onto the ripped bubble wrap envelope in case I need to take a picture of it. I'll send another message and if I don't here back I'll open a claim up.

So if I do have to open a claim do I open it with ebay or with paypal, or is it the same thing?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
Skin

ebay and paypal are one in the same.
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
treasureseeker

What is the seller's feedeback number. If they have been selling for awhile and have a 100% I would give them a little more time to answer.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
NY Old Guy

Well, the sellers feedback number is 584 and he has 98.6% approval. Maybe I should stick to 99.5% approval or higher in the future.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
mixxmstrmike

Send a message via Yahoo to mixxmstrmike

You're going to want to open the claim with eBay. Start taking pictures of the envelope NOW. This way, there is a date associated with that picture, in case eBay may request pictures of the shipping container.

Once eBay decides the outcome, (assuming they will favor you,) the refund via PayPal is automatic. They will put everything back into your PayPal account in the manner in which it was paid for.

-Mike
mixxmstrmike is offline   Reply With Quote