Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
loganp

Default Looking to finance a Snap-on toolbox.

I have run out of space in my Gray tools XT series tool chest and I am looking to upgrade to A snap-on KRL1023. I have checked craigs list and Ebay canada. But nothing has come up..

So I am wondering what are the costs of Financing A Toolbox through snap-on for those that have done it?.. I am trying to get some information before I track down and contact A local dealer..

Thanks, Logan p
loganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
AZ_Catskinner

Default Re: Looking to finance a Snap-on toolbox.

Most of the time there's no interest involved with Snapon. Considering that the 1023 is nearly 11 grand, it's going to be a hell of a weekly payment.
AZ_Catskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
nissan_crawler

I hope you have a 100% guaranteed job you can't lose...

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
toolfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Catskinner View Post
Most of the time there's no interest involved with Snapon. Considering that the 1023 is nearly 11 grand, it's going to be a hell of a weekly payment.
That is usually just the case for the revolving credit up to about $1000, when you get into bigger items like a toolbox, it's almost 20% interest. Look at the fliers the snap on man passes out and you will see the cost per week and number of weeks. It usually comes out to about double the price after the interest.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
StanBo

Send a message via AIM to StanBo

Does Snap-On do financing with people that don't work in the auto industry? I am a mechanic but in the utility industry and would want some Snap-On items for home.

Zero percent APR and weekly payments are actually pretty cool in my book.
StanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Gary S

My opinion about financing tools is that it is a big mistake. If you need a larger toolbox, start saving your money and when you have the money in your pocket, get the toolbox you want. The US is in a deep recession today because too many people did just what you are suggesting. They borrowed money that they didn't need to borrow, and they didn't have.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
caseyjw

I'd wait.

I waited and got more than what I wanted on craigslist...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=67238

Regards,
Casey
caseyjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
grizzlyToolz
Banned

why why why?
grizzlyToolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
99_xc600

Take some financial advice my parent's told me early on. Unless it's a car or a home, if you have to finance it. You absolutely don't need it.

Save up your money. What would initially cost you $11,000 out the door is going to cost you $15,000 with interest.
99_xc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Neohio

Pm me, i'll give you the number to a local dealer who lives in ancaster and has a couple routes, one in burlington, and 2 in hamilton
Neohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
american lockpicker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
My opinion about financing tools is that it is a big mistake. If you need a larger toolbox, start saving your money and when you have the money in your pocket, get the toolbox you want. The US is in a deep recession today because too many people did just what you are suggesting. They borrowed money that they didn't need to borrow, and they didn't have.
Good post.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
MoToys

Be patient and attentive to craigslist.
MoToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
jethro29

the weekly payments on the 1023 are not that bad.and i say if you want a new box,then get the damn thing.i have four s.o. boxes two at work and two in my home shop.and i have yet to regret purchasing any of them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
klean63

As nice as the KRL boxes are, have you considered something like this? http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/hom...l-cabinet.html
klean63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
craftsmanfann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
that is my exact same attitude.
craftsmanfann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
vssjim
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganp View Post
I have run out of space in my Gray tools XT series tool chest and I am looking to upgrade to A snap-on KRL1023. I have checked craigs list and Ebay canada. But nothing has come up..

So I am wondering what are the costs of Financing A Toolbox through snap-on for those that have done it?.. I am trying to get some information before I track down and contact A local dealer..

Thanks, Logan p
Most dealers won't carry a account on a truck for non regular stop customer unless they have some kind of history with and unless SO has changed a dealer would have to put a loan ap in for a large purchase and be on the hook for it along time. I don't see this happening unless you know a dealer personally as you don't work in a stop. To add to it last time I heard tool box percents were over 20 plus %. I would be hard pressed not to look at Montezuma tool boxes or similar. I may look in to another Gray for you Candian guy's and just add to what you have.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
DaleK

Check out kijiji a little harder. You might have to drive an hour or two but you'll get something better for a good price. These ones will all be sold but something else will come along.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ267845748

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ270505863

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ272198175
Pat Mustard: It won't fit in mine
DaleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
Jamez

A word of caution about the stuff from strictly tool boxes... and please, this is in no way a complaint. My few interactions with them have been great, and feel they offer a great product... for Americans.

Ordering to Canada is different. You will have a, shipping bill, customs fees, duty, taxes, and Brokerage fees on top of the cost of the tool box.... and only a 5 year warranty.

Add it all up and your still probably around 50% price of the new snap on box, but what killed it for me was the warranty. If you rely on your tool box to support your income, you will want the guarantee of a no questions asked warranty.
Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
Layspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
A word of caution about the stuff from strictly tool boxes... and please, this is in no way a complaint. My few interactions with them have been great, and feel they offer a great product... for Americans.

Ordering to Canada is different. You will have a, shipping bill, customs fees, duty, taxes, and Brokerage fees on top of the cost of the tool box.... and only a 5 year warranty.

Add it all up and your still probably around 50% price of the new snap on box, but what killed it for me was the warranty. If you rely on your tool box to support your income, you will want the guarantee of a no questions asked warranty.
Does Snap On warranty their toolboxes for life? I bought mine 11 years ago and don't remember the dealer mentioning anything. I can't see anybody warrantying a box for life...maybe the slides, but that's about it. So which box did you buy from strictlytoolboxes.com and what did all of the other "costs" add up to if you don't mind me asking? Oh, I did not finance mine, I just saved up and gave my mind older box in for a trade and got a great deal. It would probably be cheaper to get a small personal loan at 10% than finance it on the truck for 20%+.
Layspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Hiball

Im gonna guess since you have been scouring Ebay and CL you have some money already saved up for your purchase. The Next question is does your livelyhood rely on your tools? There is No doubt that 11k is a Hefty price for tool storage but if its how you make a living its a different story versus the 90+% of GJ members who are Hobby mechanics/Home owners. I personally couldnt justify the cost, But my lifestyle doesnt represent a full time Mechanic with tons of specialty tools etc... The Best advice i can give is contact a Local dealer and run the numbers, Its gonna vary from person to person based on Credit/Down payment etc....

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote