Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
NXGTS

Default The start of my 30x48

First and foremost I would like to thank Ryan and crew for this fantastic forum for all of us to use as a resource. It is one of the best on the web. I was introduced to this web site through a fellow Mustanger when he posted about his new garage floor (Wolverine) on the Mustang site I used to frequent. I now mostly come here when I am in need of any resources or just a good laugh.

Now for the garage. It is a 30x48 with 10'8" side walls on the interior. It is somewhat inspired by a couple of member's garages on this forum. It is a cross between Brassspike and Porschedudes garage. Half will be attic storage trusses and half scissor trusses. I need the extra room for a lift because I cannot have taller sidewalls because of my neighborhood association. With my budget I will be doing most of the work myself with family and friends except for the foundation. My concrete guy works alone I am getting to do a lot of helping with it as well. I will update as often as I can but I imagine this will take most of the summer to complete.

Here are some pictures of what has been happening the last couple of weeks when the weather will allow. It is spring in Indiana after all.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]Just a cool pic of the new driveway going in.
[IMG][/IMG]The son trying to figure out how to operate the trencher.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]A pic of my ugly mug after a long day of hand digging a lot of dirt/clay

Last edited by NXGTS; 08-11-2011 at 04:34 PM.
NXGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
ejm1961Tbird

Default Re: The start of my 30x48

Good luck with your build! I liked the brassspike garage too. I want to make a 30x48 too, but mine is still in the dreaming/planning stage. Keep us posted on your progress!
ejm1961Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Kevin54

I see some grass inside of the foundation, I hope you remove it all along with the roots. If not it will decompose, and you'll end up with hollow spots under your concrete

On the other hand, I wish HOA would lighten up on some building restrictions. It seems most people always build to what looks good in a neighborhood, but then an HOA steps in and then dictates that your roof can only be so tall, your walls only so tall, and other such nonsense. Most of those that dictate could probably care less about a garage anyways.

A few years back on the next road over, out in the country they started building new houses. One guy that I worked with bought one but there was an HOA. He wanted to add onto his garage as the HOA didn't want sheds out back. They would not let him add on to the existing garage because they thought it would take away from the looks of the house. It wasn't going to be a huge garage, it was going to be the same roofline, same brick exterior, just a little wider. Nope, no way!!!! He found a loophole. He built the garage on the other end of the house. Two driveways, two garage doors. It actually looked pretty bad, but he got the storage he wanted. I think that kind of broke the HOA after that. The row of houses down through there have a different styles of garages now. One has a pole barn that literally uses up all of his back yard, an other had a pole barn in the front yard. I find it all rather amusing

Last edited by Kevin54; 04-14-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
NXGTS

All the concrete is in. Lumber was delivered last night at 2230. My neighbors were not pleased. Menards should know better than to deliver that late. It ended up being a fairly unsafe operation that got the police called. I don't know who called them but it may have been the driver of the car that almost ran into the trailer that was parked in the road. Oops!

Yes, the rest of the sod was scraped off after I trenched the water lines into the building.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
jeepntxj

Looks like it'll be an awesome shop. Keep up with the updates!

Oh, and BTW... I just happen to be wearing the same shirt right now that you have on in the first pics. Kinda odd...
jeepntxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
brassspike

Just foud your thread. Looks GREAT! When I built here there was nothing around. Now houses with HOA.....but I'm not a part of it and do as I please! I've got this post on notification!
brassspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
NXGTS

[IMG][/IMG]
The framing is most of the way done. The trusses were delivered today. We will be installing the trusses this Saturday (weather permitting).

[IMG][/IMG]
This gives you an idea of lot placement. I'm not a huge fan of having two driveways but the building codes have changed since we built the house. This is the only place the garage could go without a variance. I can't wait until the weekend to get this thing well under way.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
NXGTS

We only had a couple of rain delays. Not to bad it was cloudy most of the day. With the help of some awesome family and friends we were able to get all the trusses up except the last end truss which I need to work on anyway.

Not a great idea for me to ride the pallet but my legs were worn out from all the days climbing. We just needed to get some final bracing on in case of storms. Hopefully I will be able to get most of the sheathing on before I have to go back to work on Thursday.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
marc@kentucky

Subscribed to this thread-

NXGTS, I am just getting started on a very similar building to yours, albeit in a 48 wide X 32 deep configuration. I am also doing 10" walls on block foundation and scissor trusses on the right half of the building for a lift, with storage trusses on the left hand side.

I look forward to following along with your build and I plan on starting a build thread of my own once it quits raining long enough to see some real progress.

I am a fellow "Mustanger" as well having rebuilt around 20 dating back to my pre-teen years. My '65 fastback and 2007 GT-500 will immediately be going in the left hand side of the building, and I have a few projects in the wings for the "shop" side as well.

I did get the footers poured the week before last, so here's a little sneak peak- don't want to muddy up your thread..

Again- excellent work so far, look forward to following!

Regards,

-Marc
Western KY

Last edited by marc@kentucky; 05-16-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: sorry- had some trouble with the pic
marc@kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
NXGTS

I was able to get this side of the roof on over the last couple of days.

Here is a view from the back of the building looking forward. Not the greatest pick but you get the idea. I still have some sheating to do. It seams as if it won't ever be done.

So far it has been a lot of work but looking at it I have had a lot of fun as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
ct96ek

Looking great! Any plans for the attic space? Access?
ct96ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

It looks like the start to a great build. I can only imagine the frustration of all the rain this Spring and trying to get it started.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
brassspike

Look'n good!

brassspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
TOOL MASTER

Too small for me...i need a 1000x2000 shed ;-)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
NXGTS

This weekends project was the dreaded stairway. This was very intimidating but once I started it went really well. I started with the landing and did the lower stairs then started the upper. It was not nearly as bad as everyone I talked to said it would be. I need to do a little tweaking on the upper set before I put the treads on. Here is how it sits now. Excuse the really large mess I have made of the situation. I need some organizational skills.

As you can see there is a lot left to do. Brick, siding, soffit on the outside. Finishing the stairs, framing the bathroom walls, plumbing, and electrical on the inside. All that will keep me busy until the fall.

Last edited by NXGTS; 08-09-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
NXGTS

So today was a good day. I was able to get a small corner of the garage cleaned up enough to get one of the toys in. My '89 Wagoneer that has been in storage since last October. It's good to have it home.
Progress on the garage hasn't been smoking hot but it has been moving. The siding and gutters should be done very soon. Then attention can be put on the interior. I'm really happy with how the brick turned out. What do you all think?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
ejm1961Tbird

Nice build! Any recent pictures?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
NXGTS

I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow. They don't show a lot of progress. The outside is all wrapped up. The interior framing is finally done. The plumbing rough in is finished. I did get the plumbing and framing inspected a couple of weeks ago. They passed with flying colors.

I have started the rough in for electric. I have two of the 12 circuits complete. That is the goal over the next couple of days is to finish the rough in and get it inspected. I have an HD-9XW coming that should arrive Nov. 3-4th. Then the drywall and the rest of the insulation will be delivered Nov. 7th.

Progress has been very slow over the last month because I have been at work for the last 3 weeks straight. The goal is to have paint on the walls and all inspections done before Christmas.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
ejm1961Tbird

Good luck with your progress. I like the size of your garage.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #20
NXGTS

This is the second floor which will be just for storage. It is 23' long and 12' wide.

Looking from the back to the front.

And front to back. I know the stairway location really hurts floor space but it was the only way I could get scissor trusses and attic storage trusses in the plan. I figured that corner was already shot because of the bathroom.

Last but not least the exterior. Fairly boring but it's finally done. Graded and seeded. Now all it needs is some landscaping. Maybe in the spring.