Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
MrSnicks

Default 10X12 Shed Kit

So I've been wanting a storage shed and been kicking around ideas and prices.

Prices for pre-built 10X12 sheds with wood siding run from $2200 and up.

Lowes has this 10X10 kit for $898 (on sale) but does not include roofing felt or shingles.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239960-57658...uantity_sold|1

The local Builder's Discount Center has a 10X12 kit for 829.44 and includes ALL roofing materials and a floor.

Do you think it's possible to build/buy the materials for cheaper than the BDC kit? Anyone used a kit like this and have comments?

Thanks,
Patrick
MrSnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
onelochevy

Default Re: 10X12 Shed Kit

I was looking at that exact same shed at Lowes last weekend. Im curious to know how good the kits are. Read some bad reviews on some other ones about warped lumber, poor fit, etc.
onelochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
antinym

I bought a shed kit from Costco last year for $1000 with floor, but no roofing.
I think it it would be hard to get all the materials for that cost, and with a kit you don't have to design/engineer anything.
Be aware, the materials aren't the best quality, but not bad. So, if you're going to build your own, you're probably not going to find/buy the lower quality wood, nor have the bulk discounts that shed kit manufacture's get.
I'd grab the BDC kit. budget another $100-200 for deck blocks or cinder blocks, paint, drip edge. Maybe beef up the floor to 2x6 if they use 2x4.
antinym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
BEAVO

the link below is from a member here who built a pole barn style shed 12x16 for 1230 including the gravel check it out i would go this route you would have more storage as well
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ight=yard+barn
BEAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
antinym

There you go, you can almost get the materials for the same price. Now you just have to buy some plans, measure, cut, build. I did the kit for the quickness, and I didn't need a high quality structure.
antinym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
kmacht

I am building a 12x16 from plans. I bought everything I need from HD for $1500 out the door including delivery. I took some pictures but haven't had a time to get them off the camera and post them yet. I would stay away from the Lowes kits. They are not designed very well. If you notice the roof it is 24" on center 2x4's and there are no crossties to keep if from spreading out. If you live in an area with even a little bit of snow I don't think it would stand up to more than a few inches on the roof. You definatly could not stand on it safely. Have fun putting those upper shingles on without standing on it. Also, the floor joists are only 24" on center. That spacing is too far apart if you plan on putting a garden tractor or anything heavier than garden tools in there. The ones I looked at had 1/2" non pressure treated plywood for the floor. It probably wouldn't last more than a few years before it started to rot. There are plenty of plans out there that have much better construction than this one. If you live in a warm and dry enviroment and just want the shed to store some garden tools then it might work. If you want something to store your lawn tractor and to last the life of your house, don't bother. You can build a much better one for the same money or even less.

Keith
kmacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
A29

You should be able to build one about 1/2 price of a kit and better too. Did this 8x10 a few years back. Buy your lumber at a lumber yard, not a big box place. Seemed when I did mine the kits were just a pile of boards and plans and hardware. Just built mine in my head and then went after it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thanksgiving 071.jpg (148.7 KB, 115 views)
A29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
petee_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by A29 View Post
You should be able to build one about 1/2 price of a kit and better too. Did this 8x10 a few years back. Buy your lumber at a lumber yard, not a big box place. Seemed when I did mine the kits were just a pile of boards and plans and hardware. Just built mine in my head and then went after it.
I was about $2500ish in Canada for a 10x16' including paint. I built from scratch using 'barnboard' - good 1 face, I left the rough face outwards for a more rustic look.

Plans were in my head. It was fun actually. Got a book from the library on sheds, and learned how to use a framing square to build the rafters.

I would like to reinforce the floor at some point. It's on my to-do list. I only have the shed touching the ground at the 4 corners and midway of the long walls.. I should have probably put some support in the middle at 3 spots as well.

I have some heavy stuff in there. 12 tires/rims, riding mower, motorcycle during the winter.

building my shed
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Snake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnicks View Post
So I've been wanting a storage shed and been kicking around ideas and prices.

Prices for pre-built 10X12 sheds with wood siding run from $2200 and up.

Lowes has this 10X10 kit for $898 (on sale) but does not include roofing felt or shingles.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239960-57658...uantity_sold|1

The local Builder's Discount Center has a 10X12 kit for 829.44 and includes ALL roofing materials and a floor.

Do you think it's possible to build/buy the materials for cheaper than the BDC kit? Anyone used a kit like this and have comments?

Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick, I bought the style shed kit (the Heartland Rainer model) back in October of last year. Only difference is I bought the 10x10. I paid 998 for the kit. My father, my brother did the leveled the ground on the first day, then build the shed on the second.

We did have some difficulty in stabilizing the front wall while putting it in. If you decide to go this route, be very very careful when moving the front wall board as the sides of the door are long spans that are relatively unsupported, and very easy to break during handling. We didn't break it, but had to be extremely careful. Once the shed was up however, I don't have any concerns about it's durability. The front wall is supported by the sides and has proven to be relatively strong enough.

If you have the time, I would agree with others that you could probably save a lot of money and design something better for less money. However, I didn't have that luxury as my daughter was born about 1 month before we started.

Overall, I am very happy with it, and I would say it was worth it. But if I had more time I probably would have designed and built something myself.

Last edited by Snake87; 04-14-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: missing information
Snake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Snake87

double post, my mistake.

Last edited by Snake87; 04-14-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: double post.
Snake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
bczygan

I always prefer custom designing, but that is what I do. I like full 8' walls, minimum 12/12 pitch roofs, 3 tab asphalt shingles, 30# felt, edge metal, ridge vent, sill seal, good lighting inside and out, and electrical power, house wrap, attic access from the outside, a good overhang and multiple doors and windows. I also prefer to have a concrete slab instead of a wood floor. With custom design, for the same price I get better materials, bigger stronger doors, custom openings, sizes and orientations I need and want, windows as desired and taller bigger and stronger construction including metal connectors and ridge beams instead of ridge boards.
The kits have the advantage of a built in style and all the basic materials included. Very little architectural planning required. Still need to do all the due diligence concerning zoning, setbacks, area and height restrictions, area maximums, permit requirements, easements, homeowner association rules and deed restrictions.

Last edited by bczygan; 04-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Spareparts

I did mine 10' X 12' 2X6 floor joists on 16" centers and 3/4 floor 8' walls 1/2" osb inside w/insulation 5 X 12 pitch on roof 3 tab shingles and a metal edge with 6" trim. No windows and one 4' door one side 30" the other 18", made the door with deck boards , Z braced on back and glued with biscuits. Looks great and function's great for our R/C race shop. Roof rafters are 2X4 on 16" and the walls are tied together with 7- 2X10 lying flat put 1/2" osb for the attic storage, a couple of 4" T-8 fixture's for plenty of light. All for about $2,000 and that included the 6 concrete piers to keep it off the ground and all the floor joists and plated (doubled) on the ends were treated. It seemed like enough room until the wife found out I had 16" shelves on one end and half way down the back wall, now she has a few things to store there. She has been good to me for 35 yrs so I guess I will share with her. If you want something temporary get a kit, but if you want a quality build get the lumber and build it yourself, they are not difficult to build and the pride you get from doing it your self is out of sight, just remember Square Plumb and Level.
Spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
dlenkewich

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinym View Post
I bought a shed kit from Costco last year for $1000 with floor, but no roofing.
I think it it would be hard to get all the materials for that cost, and with a kit you don't have to design/engineer anything.
Be aware, the materials aren't the best quality, but not bad. So, if you're going to build your own, you're probably not going to find/buy the lower quality wood, nor have the bulk discounts that shed kit manufacture's get.
I'd grab the BDC kit. budget another $100-200 for deck blocks or cinder blocks, paint, drip edge. Maybe beef up the floor to 2x6 if they use 2x4.
I think you need to take a walk down a lumber isle.

Those shed's are a waste of money, the materials for that small of a shed would be no where near $800.

A lot of the ones you buy around here aren't even built. Just a pre-cut kit you have to put together yourself. Might as well buy the lumber, make a few cuts and save a few hundred.

Would make for a nice weekend summer beer drinking project.

Don't know about down there, but here our lumber is cheap right now.
dlenkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
glider

This is what I do for a side job for the past 12 years. My 10x12 sells for $2189 delievered complete. Comes with 3/4 treated floor with 12" oc floor joists and a roll up door. My models sit within 1 mile of Home Depot and Lowes. I BLOW THEM AWAY. Picture is a 10x16 but is the same shed 4' longer. I have about $1100 in a 10x12 built rite.

glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
timtim2008

^ nice glider.. very nice..
timtim2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
Markgyver

I just built a 8'x15' shed with a hip roof to match the house. I looked into the kits and I figured I could buy one for about the same price as I could build one but mine is a hell of a lot better built than one I could buy, I only could go 8'-0" wide due to my lot (Which is why its 8'x15') and HOA only allows a max of 120 sf and a height of 8'-6". I have about $2000 into mine. A kit would go together alot faster is the only incentive and plan on adding a bit more lumber for reinforcement, also kits dont include shingles or paint, I have about $250 in dimensional shingles 3 tabs would be cheaper.

2"x6" floor joist at 16" o.c.
2"x4" walls 16' o.c.
OSB sheathing with T1-11 siding

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Markgyver; 04-15-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Markgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
dlenkewich

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
This is what I do for a side job for the past 12 years. My 10x12 sells for $2189 delievered complete. Comes with 3/4 treated floor with 12" oc floor joists and a roll up door. My models sit within 1 mile of Home Depot and Lowes. I BLOW THEM AWAY. Picture is a 10x16 but is the same shed 4' longer. I have about $1100 in a 10x12 built rite.
Very nice shed. Love the roll-up.
dlenkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
petee_c

Glider,

How do u get that on and off the trailer for delivery? Do u scope the sight out 1st? Cause that would be horrible for a fenced yard I'd imagine.

P
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #19
glider

My trailer was custom built for this. It has rollers and a winch and tilts. It takes about 20 min. to load and chain down. As for fences, I don't deal with them that is up to the customer. I can take down a chain link fence thow in minutes. But I don't put them back up. lol
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Crazy Car Guy

build one dont buy a kit. i built a 10x12 for $500 complete using culled wood torn open packages of insulation and scratch and dent metal
Crazy Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote