Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
cork

Default ceiling options

Looking to enclose the now open ceiling on my newly constructed garage. I was thinking either drywall or tin. Anyone have other suggestions. It needs to support insulation, and i will be covering a 32x42 area.
cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Not sure on the price of "tin", but drywall is probably the way to go overall. Gives you a nice finished look and helps provide rigidity to the ceiling.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
OH-MAN

Drywall probablly gives a better fire rating and insulation.
OH-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
SteveL

You need to check local building codes for your area. Mine required 5/8" fire rated drywall on all garage ceilings and any wall that was up against the house. They also required a fire wall above the ceiling to separate the garage attic from the house!!! In theory, this would help slow a fire down that started in the garage.

We had a house go up in flames in our neighborhood that started in the garage from a gas leak in the car. Person came home and parked the car in the garage and went inside the house and closed the garage door. Within an hour the house was engulfed and he almost did not get out!! Elderly guy and the fire went up in to the attic space first and spread to the house attic and then back down to the living area. A person driving down the street noticed the flames coming out of the roof before the owner knew anything! This house was built before the attic fire wall codes were changed so I can see the benifits of the new codes.

Always better safe than sorry!
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
plw
Certified Garage Junkie

I had a friend who did his with surplused metal roofing. He had to use several different colors but he spray painted the whole ceiling gloss white and it really looks sharp. Good light too.
plw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Wile1Coyote

I agree that the space between the house and garage both in the attic and below it needs to be walled off with 5/8 drywall, however there is no reason your garage ceiling needs to have a fire barrier from the rest of the garage.

For something different and as long as you are not storibng stuff above the garage. Place chicken wire or something similar on top of the joists in the attic space and roll out attic insulation blankets over it. Then for a ceiling use Vinyl Siding Soffit material. Choose a white color and you are all set, no need to paint ever and plenty of reflectivity for the light. Stagger the length of the pieces so you don't end up with one big seam OR use J channel to hide the edges with a uniform seam.
Wile1Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Another reason for drywall would be soundproofing. Keep your neighbors a little more happy.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
cork

Thanks for the replies so far, i like the soffit idea. This is a detached garage and there are no code requirements in my area for a detached garage. I like drywall but i hate to finish the seams.
cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
bdaz442

I'm going with the tin. cost a little more but my joist are on 5 foot centers. i would have to strip the joist to use dry wall. i can use ten foot pieces of tin and not have to strip or finish. i will post pics a soon as I get done.
bdaz442 is offline   Reply With Quote