View Full Version : Replacement Extension Cord Multi-receptacle

John in OH
04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I have an 12/3 extension cord with a single-plug receptacle. I'd like to replace this single-plug receptacle with a multi-plug receptacle similar to this:


Problem is, I've hunted numerous stores and on-line sites and I cannot find a replacement cord end of similar design. There are lots of new cords out there that have this design receptacle molded onto the cord, but I can't find a loose replacement-type end.

Anyone know of an on-line source for such a replacement multi-plug receptacle?

04-18-2013, 07:15 PM
That would be due to the Osha requirement for power cords to have factory installed ends that are not removable.

John in OH
04-18-2013, 10:31 PM
That would be due to the Osha requirement for power cords to have factory installed ends that are not removable.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you are trying to say here ....

Lowes, HD, Menards, etc. have shelves full of single-plug replacement receptacles for cords. What I'm looking for is a multi-plug replacement receptacle.

I can buy any of the multitude of single-plug receptacles, or I can buy single-to-multiple plug adapters such as this:


Or I can buy short extension cords that have single plugs on one end and multiple plug receptacles on the other end:


So why not multiple-plug replacement receptacles???

04-18-2013, 10:55 PM
The end you are searching for does not exist, 15 years as a sparky and not once have I ever seen a multiple receptacle cord end that is replaceable. As far as I know, only the molded ends and adaptor type like you posted pics of have ever been available.

As far as why not? Probably because splitters in general have always been frowned upon by OSHA. In the heavy industrial setting I work in all 120v splitters are required to have a built in overload protection at the point of splitting. Yes really. A breaker molded into the splitter. Overloading extension cords is apparently OSHA's top priority of enforcement areas lately.

04-18-2013, 11:12 PM
get a nice exterior/waterproof 4" box, 2 duplex outlets (1 preferably a GFCI), and a weather cover and wire/rig one up. a more 'correct' approch to the 4 inch metal box with 2 old outlets i (and many others) have put on a a few cords years ago that still work

04-18-2013, 11:37 PM
You can always try this:

These will do much better then any cobbled up mess like a 4 square box & raised cover.

04-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Industrial grade "pendant" boxes are ridiculously priced !

Portable Outlet Box, Pendant, 2 Gang, Yelow - $252.38 (

04-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Buy a heavy duty triple tap ( and tape it on to an existing extension cord.


Triple tap with GFCI (