Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
adamant118

Default Anyone have a steel enclosed carport that you see they sell on the side of the roads

I just put a down payment down on one of these. I'm used to a regular pole barn but I need some quick shelter and it was pretty reasonable. How is the Integrity of these buildings? For those who have one what would you have done different? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
adamant118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
readhead

Default Re: Anyone have a steel enclosed carport that you see they sell on the side of the ro

Hopefully you don't live in snow county. If you do there is an option do a vertical roof and you should ask if there is any consideration for roof snow load. I sell a version of these tube steel buildings and they provide an economical solution for shop or storage space.
readhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
kaymccampbell

Default Re: Anyone have a steel enclosed carport that you see they sell on the side of the ro

There is a snow load reinforcing kit. The neighbor lady has one and hers has had 3' of wet snow on it, with no sag or damage.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Pop Alexandra

And where can it be purchased for? Something similar at least...
Pop Alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
John in OH

I have four similar carports in various farm-related duties .... three in Ohio and one in Virginia. All of them are 3-sided and the fourth has a 16 ft overhead door. They work fine for my needs and their intended service.

They are what they are. They are fairly inexpensive, quick to erect (two guys erected 3 of mine in six hours total !!), fairly easy to move if necessary, and can be disassembled and sold if their service is no longer required. But, don't expect your grandchildren to be using the structure you have purchased.

Downsides .... the roof seams can leak, they are subject to interior condensation, cold as antarcita in the winter, hot as hell in the summer, general flimsy construction, all electrical work has to be run in conduit, and would probably blow away in a tornado.

Make sure the vertical side height is sufficient for installing overhead doors (looks as if this one you show has that covered), make sure the frame sections have collar ties and each frame vertical has a corner brace to its rafter. Check on snow load rating, if applicable.

What would I do differently?? Make all four of then bigger!!

PS: Add your general location to your GJ profile ... helps you get more appropriate responses.
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
BADSIX

depends on were you live,be sure to use a vapor barrier on the roof. around here they use a insulated one, if not you may need a rain suit inside.
Jay D.
BADSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
ducksface
Alliance Member

My town threatened to outlaw all of them. They settled on some sizes and some set set back instead.
They threatened mine.
I told them I would put an axle under it, get a permanent trailer tag(unregistered vehicles could not be stored outside) and park it in the street with printed instructions on how to do the same.
I made the cut on size and placement and was asked to please not do that....
The people that bought my house stupidly removed mine and bought another. 20 foot setbacks means it has to be, and is, smack dab in the middle of their backyard.

Moral of this story is as always.
Check your jurisdiction for rules and details.
The roadside guy will tell you whatever it takes to sell you one.

Last edited by ducksface; 06-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
IMCA38

Go overboard with the anchoring. My parents' neighbor installed two of the open carports and they were anchored in with some kind of rebar deal driven into the ground. One night a windstorm came up and one of the carports took flight over the parents' house with one of the legs poking a hole in the roof on the way over. Landed in the street in front of the house as a ball of wadded up tin.
IMCA38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Hubscrub66

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCA38 View Post
Go overboard with the anchoring. My parents' neighbor installed two of the open carports and they were anchored in with some kind of rebar deal driven into the ground. One night a windstorm came up and one of the carports took flight over the parents' house with one of the legs poking a hole in the roof on the way over. Landed in the street in front of the house as a ball of wadded up tin.
I agree, my sister just removed theirs from the neighbors cow pasture after a wind storm. It was a anchored with something drove into the ground. scrap now . Funny the kids plastic playhouse was their too and still in the same
spot. Thers was open sides so wind could get under it.

Last edited by Hubscrub66; 06-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Hubscrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Slednut

I purchased a frame kit online and bought the steel locally. I installed the old doors off our attached garage and framed and installed siding on the rear. It's been there for 15 years. We don't receive much snow at one time but I do rake the snow off, never let it get over a foot deep. This is the best picture I have of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P82A0725.jpg (147.6 KB, 91 views)
Slednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Sychotix57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slednut View Post
I purchased a frame kit online and bought the steel locally. I installed the old doors off our attached garage and framed and installed siding on the rear. It's been there for 15 years. We don't receive much snow at one time but I do rake the snow off, never let it get over a foot deep. This is the best picture I have of it.
What size is that building?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sychotix57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
djhnsn

I bought a 24x31x12 fully enclosed Carolina Carport that the crew is outside now finishing up the install.

It's been a long road to get to this point took 6 months from the purchase date to the install date. Most of that time was waiting for a structural engineer to draw the plans for the county permit.

There are lots of these carport builders but in my case Carolina was $5k cheaper for the same building from another carport manufacturer. They have some bad reviews but so far my only complaint is how long it took to get my drawings.
djhnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
krcoomer

My father in law had a 20X20 carport installed which we enclosed to store materials and equipment in while he built his current house and to use for storing an extra vehicle and garden shed after the house was built. He and I installed the sidewalls and trim for a 16' wide door in one day for material cost. (garage cost was about 6K and carport was about 3K IIRC). He and his brother installed the door the next day before lunch. The only complaint I know of is that it is an uninsulated metal building where humidity is a 12 month issue. We laid double layer of 6 mil plastic and covered with #9 gravel. If you go in there you are likely to get dripped on if the door has not been open for a while. Ventilation is a must. If I were planning to use it for a workshop or storage of more than outdoor rated items I would pour a floor also.

If you're "on time", you're late.
krcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote