Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
ganymede

Default Re: Attention GJers-Check your Photobucket accounts

Photobucket used to be awesome.
Stopped using it about 5 yrs ago when it started to suck.
Now it's just ridiculous.
I'll check out Flickr though.

" Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. "
Oscar Wilde
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #42
Orionrising

anyone know if photos uploaded with tapatalk are hosted by tapa, or is that uploading to the main garage journal site?

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=256907
Orionrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #43
rayra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
Well, now Photobucket is dysfunctional again. It just freezes when I try to download my other libraries. I have all the originals, but it would be nice to keep the files separated for future posting...

Tommy

it's basically bogged down by all the millions of users trying to do exactly what you are doing. Try for odd hours, or peak working hours when fewer are trying.

also, if you have sub-albums, you'll have to click the download in each. Doing it at the top level when you have subs will net you only the loose stuff you have at the top level.
rayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #44
naf305

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee140 View Post
Same with google photos....forums don't seem to like them.

I guess I get it....bandwidth costs money and they make money showing you all those ^%&%^$@*$#$((&@^%#*^($^(% AD's.

It is free, and you get what you pay for....so looks like we may have to start shelling out even more money to someone to host our photos so we can play on the forums.....wish google would work.
I just started a thread posting picture from google photos without a problem.

I think the trick is not to use the URL in the address bar when you browse to your picture but instead to right-click on the picture itself and use "Copy image address...". You will get a long ass url that finished with something like =wXXXX-hXXXX. These last url parameter are the resolution of the image and you can change it! This is great so that a high res image can be scaled down to fit nicely in a thread post. For example I'll delete =w1234-h987 and replace it with simply =w600 so that my image is scaled down from 1234x987 down to 600px width (height is calculated automatically).

Google photo is great and cheap. Anyone with different experience?

Last edited by naf305; 07-06-2017 at 08:31 AM.
naf305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
rayra

IMGUR, Flickr, and now smugmug, they all supplant my filenames with their own alphanumeric scramble unique file names. This is unworkable for re-editing all my topics with relocated images.
Would work ok starting from scratch, as you go. But I've got at least 1500 images I'd like to go restore, across several forums. And having to look at the old image link, find that image on my drive, then visually scroll thru 1-1500 images looking for the match to copy/paste its new link, well that's unworkable.
still looking for a hosting solution that will let me use my original filenames or at least retain them as a prefix, as photobucket did.
rayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #46
y'sguy

naf305, I just stumbled thru your method. and it works! I've never used PB and fyi I use to host images thru a website I owned so I never had a problem at that time. I quit paying annually on that one and let it go. But until now I never had any success with Google to host anything and I am not as savvy as naf305! Thanks for figuring it out for people like me!

Last edited by y'sguy; 07-07-2017 at 07:47 PM.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #47
JimVonBaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceMerc View Post
Supermotors.net

Free pic hosting with watermark on 3rd party hosted pics.

$12.99 a year with no watermark.

Not mine. Just a cool truck.
Only good if you are posting vehicle related images. It is in their TOS!

I switched to ImageShack. Easy to use and $18.95 a year.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #48
J Persons

I've had a Photobucket account since 2004, and I think they started in 2003. The original intent of PB was to host images for sites like ebay and Craig's list, but they started selling all that fluff, stuff like calendars, albums, canvas prints, etc. And have seemed to have forgotten their core customers. I had a little over 1800 images, which was a little over 2GB, but also kept almost all of them on my computer, so if I wanted to, I could have deleted my account with no problems.
I started looking for another site after PB cut their own throat, and decided on www.imageshack.com It's $18.00/year for the premium account with the first month free and they have unlimited uploads and 3d party hosting. The photos upload very quickly either by file or by drag and drop. Using drag and drop takes less than 3 seconds per image. The only thing I don't care for is their album format, but I can live with that.
Getting back to PB, I went on their site today and noticed a bunch of my photos are missing, replaced by a dialog saying that I have deleted or moved them. Well, that didn't happen. The only way that they got deleted was for PB to delete them. I've been pretty critical of them on a couple of boards in the last week or so and the deletion may just be payback, but it's not a big deal, most all my photos are on my computer anyway. I am through with them, they will never get another dime of my money.
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #49
thejudges69

I was able to download all my albums off of PB, they went into a zip file and then I extracted them out of there. The quality of mine isn't the best to start, mostly cell phone pics. But they appear to be in good standard. I didn't have time to dig in and see the resolution, I was just happy to get back all my build pics. PB can now officially blow me. I will look into image shack. I've never had lick posting to this forum from my cell phone, it always times out and says something was missing in the file name. So I need a secondary option for 3rd party posting.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #50
Platonic Solid

$400/yr for PB!!! Why would anyone pay that when you can have your own domain and have it hosted for $100/yr with godaddy or 1and1 (and many more ...)?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #51
tjdux

Dont know if this is helpful or been mentioned but for smartphone users taptalk app will host your images and post them onto this forum for free and its very easy to do. May not work for everyone but worth a look i bet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
tjdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #52
ScottsGT

From my Google photo. Just got the app and loaded one photo to test it with.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...NhgMpzXAVDPZlf

I see nothing about the wXXXX-hXXXX in my link. Yes, I did the right click on the image and copy image location.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lx...g=w300-h500-no

OK! I think I'm getting this!

Last edited by ScottsGT; 07-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #53
J Persons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
From my Google photo. Just got the app and loaded one photo to test it with.

I see nothing about the wXXXX-hXXXX in my link. Yes, I did the right click on the image and copy image location.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lx...g=w300-h500-no

OK! I think I'm getting this!
This is what your photo looks like:
J Persons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #54
AngryBeaver

Yup all my build threads across numerous forums are now third party blocked. Been with photobucket since 2004. Even paid gold membership for a couple years.

Almost sounds like the rest of the forums that are migrating towards Facebook groups.
AngryBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote