Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
jtuttle4

Default Updated-Finally getting a shop! Build thread.

Well the long wait is over and now I have a short, but longer feeling wait for the build to start. Got the green light and have the funds. Start date is first week of August but may get pushed up if someone ahead of me doesn't have their site quite ready.

I just got the dirt work done and boy did I luck out on that. I had a guy give me a bid of almost 2k to level my pad(low corner was about 3' out). I came home from work the next day to find a dozer working terraces in the field next to my property. I want and talked to the operator and he said he only had a couple hours work left in the morning and could come right over and work it over for me, ended up charging $390 as his equipment was already there and he had nothing else lined up for the day! I did a little fine smoothing with my tractor and rear blade after and it looks great.

Anyway, the building I'm having put up is a 30x50x12. It will be an open building except for a small storage/ compressor room. I will have one side with my woodworking stuff and the other for auto and welding. It will be a post frame building but will be built with a concrete pier system instead of the traditional post in ground. 27ga steel with 50 year warranty, 16" overhang with gutters, a 16x10 and a 10x10 insulated overhead doors on the long side, 4 windows, double bubble under the roof, house wrap on the sides, and 4" floor for $32k, sound about right?

I will be finishing the interior myself. I'm planning on running water for a hose and sink. I will be using r19 batts in the walls and will blow in cellulose over a white metal ceiling. I plan on heating with a radiant tube, maintaining above freezing in the winter and turn it up when working. I've been getting excited so I've been picking up stuff on sale when I can. I bought 24 8' 4 bulb t8 fixtures for lighting, hoping this will be bright enough for me, arranged in 4 rows of 6 fixtures. Also picked up a 200amp square d box and some misc wiring and electrical supplies.

In stuck on what I want to finish the interior walls with. I like the idea of white metal like I'm going to use on the ceiling but don't like the difficulty of hanging stuff on the walls and having the gaps behind work benches. I do not want drywall. I'm leaning towards osb but am concerned with how well it will take paint and water damage to the bottoms if I wash something out inside the building. Any suggestions?

Here are the pad pics and I will update as progress is made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.jpg (147.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1715.jpg (146.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by jtuttle4; 07-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.
jtuttle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Falcon67

Default Re: Finally getting a shop! Interior finishing advice?

I have an OSB interior - un-painted - and I like it. It's tough and you can hang things anywhere. I just backed the wife's race car into the shop and used rear bumper contact with the back wall to locate where to park in the slot LOL. Try that with drywall. If you plan on much of any splash work in an area, I would just use either 1x4 or 1x6 treated for ground contact - or 1x4 or 1x6 LP SmartSide trim as a "baseboard" and set your OSB on top. Space the baseboards off the concrete maybe 1/8~1/4" to allow air circulation.

I can tell you that OSB does not fall apart like a Walt Disney flower on contact with water. I used OSB on the walls in the old shop and the SW corner would regularly bleed water under the plate in heavy rain. There is also an unpainted OSB shed in the yard behind us, it's been there for 6 years now. It's just fine, if a little discolored.

The generally posted paint solution for OSB is a oil base primer - to prevent much lifting of the OSB surface - followed by coat(s) of latex.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
James-W

Congratulations on the upcoming build. Take LOTS of pictures and post them for us, we like pictures.
James-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Firebrick43

Really metal is not that bad to work with. Benches just need a back stop applied to keep gaps from being a problem. Either a 1/4"x4" strip of steel welded to a steel bench or a 1x6 screwed to the back of a wood bench.

Depending on how the cabinets are made a strip of 1"x2" pine applied to the back perimeter and the use a compass to scribe the metal profile and a coping or jig saw to cut it out. Take 15 min max.

You will spend far more time painting OSB and install than dealing with the metal and the metals ease of cleaning and good reflection of light make it a real winner.
Firebrick43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
njc41980

I'm going through the exact same thing in my shop right now.

I chose to use OSB. As said above, it's not going to come apart with a little splash of water. It takes a little paint to cover it, but once done, I'll have a durable wall that can always be touched up when needed.

I'm probably over-thinking things, but my main concern has been at the base. If it's going to get worn and rotten, that's where it will happen, so I'm first painting my epoxy on the floor to seal out moisture, then caulking with a good urethane caulk, than I'll use some rubber base that will be sealed with another bead of caulk.

I'll post a picture later.
njc41980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Joeys79

OSB for me. I wanted to be able to hang anything anywhere, and didn't want it to dent or put a hole if bumped. Ran a quick swipe of latex calk between the panels with a putty knife just for good measure. Kilz original oil primer x2 coats, then exterior semi gloss latex x2. I read the water base latex directly on the OSB could cause it to melt the glue holding it together and cause it to flake up. Trimmed it out like an old Gulf station. It was a bit of work, but I figure I'm only doing it once.

There's a Rust Bullet floor down there, and Frog tape pressed onto all the nooks and crannies can give nice clean paint lines. I plan on metal for the ceiling.

Good Luck to ya...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3902.jpg (146.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3923.jpg (141.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4139.jpg (191.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4303.jpg (142.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4310.jpg (142.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
ducksface
Alliance Member

The only advice that pertains:
Finish it to suit you (or for resale if the 'you' part is too weird.)
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Falcon67

Joeys79, like your color scheme. I was a Gulf station rug rat when I was a kid LOL. Ride my bike up there just to get peanuts for a penny out of the machine, and bug the mechanics.

>didn't want it to dent or put a hole if bumped.
LOL - jumped in the golf cart, put it in the wrong gear, stabbed the gas - BOOM. That did crunch in some of the OSB. However, if the wall had been finished with drywall the cart would have been sitting outside in the yard.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Old 06-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #9
jtuttle4

Thanks for the input. I really like the idea of being able to hang most anything wherever I like without issue. For those with osb wall coverings, what thickness are you using?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
mjchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle4 View Post
Thanks for the input. I really like the idea of being able to hang most anything wherever I like without issue. For those with osb wall coverings, what thickness are you using?
1/2"
mjchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
jetnow1

I am amazed that so many claim drywall is weak- it is not as strong but is easy to patch,
and much more fire resistant than osb. Looks much better painted as well. I think the ideal
solution would be metal on the bottom 4 feet, drywall above, but you need to do it to fit your needs or as pointed out above, a future buyer. To me the ultimate use of the space
will determine the best material- heavy metal work would use metal for fire resistance as well as material damage prevention, woodworking would use drywall. My garage will get drywall as it is used for woodworking and automotive, a little metal fabrication but not enough to spend the extra. I do not park by ear though.
jetnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Falcon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle4 View Post
Regular 7/16".

LOL, drywall is weak when you hit it with a 3000 lb race car or a 900 lb golf cart moving at full bore. It's also a PITA to find a stud and to cut/mod things like shelving to fit the stud spacing. I can attached shelf brackets using 1 5/8 deck screws to any square inch of my walls without any prep work. Iron air piping runs along the walls and down to the drop connection, can run those anywhere I need or like because the screw holding the pipe clamp will bite hard anywhere.

As for the fire resistant thing, which comes up in EVERY discussion about OSB, we use a 4x4 chunk of it for setting off fireworks. Haven't got it to burn yet. I would say that if your welding table is against a wall, 1) that's a bad place for welding table as it greatly limits the use of the table and 2) if you are worried about fire, back that portion of the wall with a sheet of HardiPanel, back side out. Very thin, greatly fire resistant.

The main thing about fire is to pay attention to what you are doing. The old shop had nothing but a bit of OSB in places and exposed kraft paper walls and ceiling. Lots of welding, grinding, torch work, etc and no fires or even scorch marks on the paper.

Last edited by Falcon67; 06-28-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
jtuttle4

Update! I was moved ahead on the schedule and they came out Friday and set the grade boards, metal column brackets, and poured the concrete piers. They are bringing in gravel today. Tonight when I get home from work I'm going to install 2 ground rods and rough in some pvc for water line coming in and a drain out. If weather cooperates, floor should be poured by the end of the week. Getting excited now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1756.jpg (145.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1759.jpg (148.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1762.jpg (146.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1765.jpg (147.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
rburke65

I have a similar build with metal ceiling liner and I didn't want either drywall or OSB so I discovered LP Smart Siding. Comes in 4x8' sheets and I was able to buy it in 4x10' sheets. Comes primered, ship lapped, will hold a nail or screw with no need to hunt for a stud. I screwed it to the studs so, if necessary later, I can remove it relatively easy. I like it.good luck!
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
matt_i

You could improve the OSB by pre-painting the saw-cut edges before installation, possibly the entire backside on the lowest piece. This takes some work and planning to handle all of the sheets ahead of time, and then take the time to paint and cure any custom-cut pieces that yous saw on-site as you are finishing.

Also, using some sort of a fan, ceiling, pedestal or otherwise, works wonders to dry things out after they got wet. For example, wash off a car, then set a 4 hour timer for the fan to run. Unless its very humid or raining outside, it will dry pretty fast.

I don't do any washing in my shop but keep the ceiling fan running on low 24x365 to prevent moisture issues.
matt_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #16
Bib Overalls

I used 7/16" OSB. Gave it two coats of Kilz oil based primer followed with two coats of latex; grey from the floor to the 4' line and white above. Used 4" wide strips of 1/4" luan painted dark grey as an accent line. Impossible to paint a line on OSB without bleeding under the masking tape.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #17
n20junkie

I prefer 1/2 BC plywood.

With 2 coats of paint, it looks just like drywall, nice and flat. The seams can be finished, but I chose to leave them as they are. Just think about where your junk will go, and have your seams hide mostly behind that stuff.

I also prefer screwing in case a panel needs to be removed or replaced.
n20junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
Farrier

The good thing about OSB is if you have an fire, the OSB will super heat the fire to help insure that more of the contents within the building burn.
Farrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
njc41980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
The good thing about OSB is if you have an fire, the OSB will super heat the fire to help insure that more of the contents within the building burn.
That's only if you can get it to actually start burning.
njc41980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
gasserdan

I really like this forum, but it seems like a lot of the posts start out with someone wanting advice or help and then someone ends ups being sarcastic.
gasserdan is offline   Reply With Quote