Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #41
Brad Beam

Default Re: Oil soaked rocks + dirt - what to do with it?

Bury it...
Seriously call the local landfill
Brad Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #42
RivennHewn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetDude View Post
Hadn't seen this stuff before- thanks for posting the link.
I had a tank remediated awhile back. Had a 15' deep hole in my front yard.

after they got all the smelly dirt out, they lined the hole with the microbe stuff before they backfilled. Just to help make sure that all traces of the diesel oil were gone.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #43
dadsEH

Build a fire and throw in the rocks
Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #44
myredracer

Our landfill doesn't want the stuff. They do have an annual hazardous material dropoff drive at the works yard for paint and other household chemicals. They "might" take the dirt there they said but it's not on their list.

Fire?? Really bad time to be thinking about fire with much of the interior of BC burning from wildfires. Can't burn outdoors until Oct. - too far away.

As to how much oil I lost, I just don't know. I *think* it started as a slow leak for a few seconds before it really popped and when it did, I didn't quite notice at first as I had paused for a moment to scan the pile. Chewing into a big pile of rocks is pretty noisy too. I grabbed a 5 gal. pail of oil and dumped it in until it came up to the fill mark and wasn't noting how much of it was used.

I think I will put the mess onto a couple of tarps as suggested, and asap then decide what to do. I can hand separate the larger rocks and maybe rake the smaller ones out and hopefully get the dirt into some 5 gallon pails. I don't know how deep it has penetrated the ground.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #45
Davefr

Isn't hydraulic oil based on mineral oil. Since it's not contaminated with by products of combustion I doubt it's all that bad environmentally.

I would lay low/tell no one and find the best solution to keep it away from being part of water runoff. Use a weed burner to burn as much off as you can and spread out the rest.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #46
nh_yota

The EPA already knows about your superfund site thanks to NSA monitoring of this forum.
nh_yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #47
njc41980

Don't they still use oil to keep down the dust on gravel roads?

If we're talking about less than 5 gallons, I actually might consider spreading it out.
njc41980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #48
nh_yota

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc41980 View Post

If we're talking about less than 5 gallons, I actually might consider spreading it out.
Donate it to Times Beach.
nh_yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #49
myredracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefr View Post
Isn't hydraulic oil based on mineral oil. Since it's not contaminated with by products of combustion I doubt it's all that bad environmentally.

I would lay low/tell no one and find the best solution to keep it away from being part of water runoff. Use a weed burner to burn as much off as you can and spread out the rest.
In our Case skid steer, it uses the same type of 30 wt. engine oil which makes it easier to keep one type on hand in the shed.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #50
myredracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc41980 View Post

Oil does dry out somewhat doesn't it?

I don't think they do that anywhere in Canada anymore due to environmental regs. I saw a sign in Wa. state recently that said the roads were just oiled.

When I was a kid back in the 50s & 60s my parents had a summer cabin and once a year public works came along and oiled all the gravel roads for the summer. Mom used to throw a fit because we'd track oil in on our thongs. (Now they call them flip flops and you won't ever catch me wearing thongs these days...) It was right next to the ocean too and couldn't have been the greatest thing for marine life.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #51
slimcake

Damn it this doesn't need to be this complicated. OP how much oil did you have to add to get it up to level? What model skidsteer you got? Some of the older units held less than 5 gallons. Seriously guys....
slimcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #52
Corndoggeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Our landfill doesn't want the stuff. They do have an annual hazardous material dropoff drive at the works yard for paint and other household chemicals. They "might" take the dirt there they said but it's not on their list.

Fire?? Really bad time to be thinking about fire with much of the interior of BC burning from wildfires. Can't burn outdoors until Oct. - too far away.

As to how much oil I lost, I just don't know. I *think* it started as a slow leak for a few seconds before it really popped and when it did, I didn't quite notice at first as I had paused for a moment to scan the pile. Chewing into a big pile of rocks is pretty noisy too. I grabbed a 5 gal. pail of oil and dumped it in until it came up to the fill mark and wasn't noting how much of it was used.

I think I will put the mess onto a couple of tarps as suggested, and asap then decide what to do. I can hand separate the larger rocks and maybe rake the smaller ones out and hopefully get the dirt into some 5 gallon pails. I don't know how deep it has penetrated the ground.
Well that is true about the fire, I would still dig it up and put it into a burn container and then cover it and wait until burn season?
Corndoggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #53
tthornto

Put in 1 or more 30 gallon trash cans and every week put about a 5 gallon bucket worth or so into your regular trash for pickup until its gone. You could put in a larger quantity if your trash company allows it. Where i live your not supposed to put large quantities of dirt in the trash. I don't see how disposing of oil soaked dirt and rocks is any different than used cat litter or floor dry.
tthornto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #54
njc41980

What do you think asphalt is made of?

Hint: Pavers often refer to "edge of oil".

Last edited by njc41980; 07-18-2017 at 11:30 PM.
njc41980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #55
nowahblake

I worked for a very environmentally conscious timber land owner. The loggers lost a hose on their pulp loader, and lost 12 gallons of oil, which looked like the exxon valdez. This was in the middle of a gravel road. A ton of time was put into trying to contain the spill, an excavator was brought in, a depression dug heavy tarps laid down and all the contaminated material was piled there to prevent any kind of runoff. Then the state environmental agency was called to see what they wanted us to do with it. It was a 2 minute conversation: "Was the spill less than 15 gallons?" "Yes" "If you've already collected the contaminated soil, we recommend spreading it out in a flat gravel area like a gravel pit or infrequently used side road away from water sources and let it oxidize" This was an exact description of where all of the soil was collected from, so as it was getting dark the same excavator spread it back out on the road and we all laughed about it. This was in Maine, YMMV with your local environmental authorities

Probably the oil hasn't sunk in that deep. You say you have acreage if your skid steer is fixed, just take the soil well away from the well and call it good.
nowahblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #56
Lazurus
Banned

I know I would never post about it on a forum if it happened to me.
Lazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #57
bigredmf

Pretty sure if he was in the USA this would be a non issue if not a commercial operation. I know in the past here you could bury hazardous waste you personally generated on your property on your own property.

It only became a problem if it contaminated adjacent property.

If it was me and it was 5 gallons or less I would spread some dispersant (could be as simple as dishwashing liquid) on the area after I removed the contaminated soil/rocks and flush with water.

Depending on my level of paranoia I might individually wash the affected rocks or pitch a 5 gallon bucket every week in my trash.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bigredmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #58
Mustang1167

Off topic but...I called DEP and EPA on a large amount of oil and antifreeze being dumped into rain water run offs. I had good video of it at the last pipe before it ran into the monongahela river. Nobody really cared unless I knew who was doing the dumping. Made me so mad. Think about that before you beat yourself up with a small spill.
Mustang1167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #59
jhasafety1

Usually the reporting quantities on diesel and hydraulic fluid are at 55 gallons. So you most likely don't have a reporting requirement. I would scrape it up to get it away from the well and if you can get the microbes mix them in, and spread it over a larger area away.
jhasafety1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #60
Hornman

Or, you could go old school by mixing in a goodly amount of fertilizer in that oil soaked dirt to stimulate the naturally occuring oil eating microbes. Where do you think the oil eating microbes the pros spread on oil spills come from? A lab? Nope. In Texas they have been spilling oil on the ground for a very long time, so there are oil eating microbes in the dirt all over.
Hornman is offline   Reply With Quote